Good prices on air from Va to Miami anyone?

sweetjem

I am not sure what you consider "outrages". There are no hidden fares that you can't find yourself. You don't name your dates or possible departure airports, so hard to provide any suggestions.

Look on matrix.itasoftware.com and maybe southwest.com.

Edited by 6rugrats

Further, just because a low price might have been purchased by someone, it doesn't mean that it would be available:

1) Between your cities

2) On the date you wish

3) At the time you wish

Take a look into my sig for the final word from fbgd (in blue).

Edited by FlyerTalker

It is virtually impossible for us to tell you anything. Where in VA are you? Leaving from Richmond, Charlottesille, Lynchburg, Virginia Beach, or any airport in the greater Washington, DC/NoVa area (IAD, DCA)??? What are your dates??

a quick look just for anything from NoVa on 6/12 and coming back on 6/19 yields pricing under $300 round trip. Most are connecting flights - maybe that is what the OP objects to. That is pretty cheap IMHO. I'm not sure why you would call this "outrageous." Airlines don't run a charity - they are for-profit companies… Even WN from IAD to FLL is more expensive than the mainlines at that dating. And, they don't go to MIA, just FLL.

Come back to us with the specifics we need and someone will help.

+1 to what Slidergirl said ^ ^ ^ ^

What prices did you find? The fares you found could indeed be "outrageous" because you selected an expensive travel day or routing. Or, you may have found some good fares, and need to adjust your expectation.

Airfares are definitely more expensive than 5 years ago for a variety of reasons. (Look at your most recent 20 purchases and tell me how many items or services are less expensive than 3-5 years ago). Fares a few years ago were not profitable, and many airlines don't exist anymore because of that. Like it or not, fares are now "right-priced" and along with fees, are returning airlines to profitability so they will be around for your next trip. Also, leisure markets like FL are low-profit and airlines are allocating planes to more lucrative routes. Airlines have dropped many leisure destinations entirely, including some FL cities. The reduced supply of seats increases the fares.

Edited by kenish

+1 to what Slidergirl said ^ ^ ^ ^

What prices did you find? The fares you found could indeed be "outrageous" because you selected an expensive travel day or routing. Or, you may have found some good fares, and need to adjust your expectation.

Airfares are definitely more expensive than 5 years ago for a variety of reasons. (Look at your most recent 20 purchases and tell me how many items or services are less expensive than 3-5 years ago). Fares a few years ago were not profitable, and many airlines don't exist anymore because of that. Like it or not, fares are now "right-priced" and along with fees, are returning airlines to profitability so they will be around for your next trip. Also, leisure markets like FL are low-profit and airlines are allocating planes to more lucrative routes. Airlines have dropped many leisure destinations entirely, including some FL cities. The reduced supply of seats increases the fares.

This is blasphemy. You didn't get the memo that a)airlines are not supposed to make a profit. b)airlines are supposed to adjust their schedules and aircraft assignments to cater to the cruise passengers. c) airfares must be lower than cruise fares because they are supposed to cater to cruise pax. d) fares one paid 5-10 years ago are very relevant to what one will and should pay next year and 5 years from now. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I would like a definition of "outrageous". Absent any specific dates I went on line for a June round trip Dulles ( in northern Virginia) to Miami - US Air was lowest at $150.20. Others ranged up to about $180 round trip - depending on dates. Perhaps OP was looking for a non-stop private charter from Stuart's Draft (near Staunton), in which case it might be pricey.

What do people think they are entitled to?????

Perhaps OP was looking for a non-stop private charter from Stuart's Draft (near Staunton)

I have flown in and out of both airports nearest to there! (Eagle's Nest in Waynesboro and Shenandoah Valley Regional)