Booked mult rooms on Liberty, now I have a million questions!

HMH G

Hello again!

I just booked our 3rd cruise (2nd with RCCL) and coordinating with our whole party was tough. I think I picked some good rooms (from the options they gave me and without breaking the bank) but I am looking for feedback please. I've never been completely aft like this and am a little nervous about the motion. Deck 6 aft should be okay in April seas, right?

Also, the balcony. It looks like this is the first row of balcony staterooms. While I thought being closer to the water would be really cool, are we going to be looking straight down at the lifeboats? Or are they tucked under the deck below pretty good? Is there a soot issue on the aft sides?

Noise. We are directly above the main dining room. I figured that meant it should be more quiet, if anything, but I read somewhere else that it could be more noisy due to cleaning and setting up. It's above, not below, so surely that's better. Has anyone stayed above the dining room?

And more random questions:

I booked directly through RCCL. Did I mess up? I didn't even check with a travel agent. I read that some people move their bookings to one, how does that work and what would the point in that be?

We are traveling with 2 four year olds. What have you done for motion sickness at that age? We've used the pressure point bracelets before, do they make little sizes? Any other remedies that you would recommend?

We have a connecting interior room but am having trouble finding any pictures of these rooms. Is there a sofa, mini sofa, or is it just a chair?

I'm going to have a million more questions between now and then, but I thank you in advance!

30ht3jm.jpg

Oh and perhaps one of the more important questions! Price drops. Does this actually happen often? And what is the best way to keep an eye on it? I somehow doubt that they will notify me.

If you google "cruise deck plans" there is a site with that name...a year subscription is pretty cheap and it gives lots of pictures from members of actual rooms, venues, etc. That site also had an article with "Top 5 worst and 5 best cabin locations", as does CC HERE. Very helpful to us as new cruisers, especially in picking cabins.

We have used TAs for both of our cruises for the extra perks...but I am not sure how switching works. Lots of people here do it though!

First cruise we had some waves -- meclazine (Bonine) worked but made everyone super sleepy. Last cruise we took Motion Eaze; dab a few drops behind the ear and it worked well as a homeopathic method. (And I could have a few drinks without worrying about drug interactions!) Motion Eaze is around $5 at WalMart, and we got a bottle of generic mecazine from Costco for $3 so we could take both. Bonine does have a kids version, but for little kids the Motion Eaze might be all you need.

Oh and perhaps one of the more important questions! Price drops. Does this actually happen often? And what is the best way to keep an eye on it? I somehow doubt that they will notify me.

Keep checking Royal's website for price drops. You can make a bookmark to display your cruise prices with a minimum of clicks.

Our promenade stateroom on Indy was a connecting cabin. The interior door was near the foot of the bed and we had a small love seat to one side of our bed. I don't know if that's the case for all connecting cabins though.

You can see a pic of our cabin in my signature (the Ben & Jerry's Sweet). Unfortunately you can't see the door, but it would be close to the viewer to the left.

Hello again!

Deck 6 aft should be okay in April seas, right? there really is no set answer. mid ships on a lower deck tend to be most stable. but you could have glass for seas, or it could be very choppy the entire time. Lib is large enough that extreme movement should be minimal.

Also, the balcony. It looks like this is the first row of balcony staterooms. While I thought being closer to the water would be really cool, are we going to be looking straight down at the lifeboats? Or are they tucked under the deck below pretty good? Is there a soot issue on the aft sides? when sitting down, you will be looking over the railing and see nothing but ocean. when standing up, yes there could be obstruction. soot really depends on the prevailing winds.

Noise. We are directly above the main dining room. I figured that meant it should be more quiet, if anything, but I read somewhere else that it could be more noisy due to cleaning and setting up. It's above, not below, so surely that's better. Has anyone stayed above the dining room? you should be fine, usually noise consists of the carts rolling on the ceiling in the cabins below the MDR, Pool deck and Buffet

I booked directly through RCCL. Did I mess up? I didn't even check with a travel agent. I read that some people move their bookings to one, how does that work and what would the point in that be? unless you find a TA who is willing to give your the same price but add more freebies like on boar credit or dinner in a specialty, there is no reason to switch. by sticking with RCI, you have complete control and can jump on any price reductions immediately instead of having to get your TA to do it

We are traveling with 2 four year olds. What have you done for motion sickness at that age? We've used the pressure point bracelets before, do they make little sizes? Any other remedies that you would recommend? Green apples and candied ginger. the apples will disappear very fast on board if the seas are choppy, so you may want to bring a few of your own. you can easily get a steak knife to cut them up as needed. then again, they may not even get seasick at all.

We have a connecting interior room but am having trouble finding any pictures of these rooms. Is there a sofa, mini sofa, or is it just a chair? usually a love seat size. may or may not convert to a bed.

we love Lib. she has a lot to offer.

We stayed in that same balcony location on navigator (so slightly smaller ship but similar) and loved it - it was super convenient and it was Not noisy. We loved being close to the water and don't think the lifeboats are really noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a website where you can "fish" with a "net" to find cruise prices, that will send you an alert anytime the price drops, it cost $1 per cruise. Google "net fish cruise" and it should be the first result. (Not allowed to post a link to them here)

If the price drops, call Royal and ask for the drop, there shouldn't be any issues.

I would definitely look around for an online t/a, with all those rooms you booked you can probably at least get free tips. Just be sure to check price drop and change charges. Some charge some don't. There is a website out there that will "compete" for your biz, you put in your sail date, ship and cabin cabin category and watch the quotes come back. Usually the price is the same but the perks is what you're looking for. Also you may want to see how much the promenade cabins are, they are usually pretty close to insides but at least give you a view.

Oh and if you find a t/a with good perks you have 60 days to transfer it. Really easy.....

Oops wrong pic

It looks like from this that you are right over a lifeboat but as you can see, they are tucked in pretty tight, I think you can see the water.

29vaywx.jpg

219aqty.jpg

As you can see here this pic taken from our deck 7 cabin near the centrum and we were right over the boats, you can just see the yellow boat in a narrow strip below the hump, they do not obstruct your view at all.

Edited by BecciBoo

• 2 months later...
Hello again!

I just booked our 3rd cruise (2nd with RCCL) and coordinating with our whole party was tough. I think I picked some good rooms (from the options they gave me and without breaking the bank) but I am looking for feedback please. I've never been completely aft like this and am a little nervous about the motion. Deck 6 aft should be okay in April seas, right?

Also, the balcony. It looks like this is the first row of balcony staterooms. While I thought being closer to the water would be really cool, are we going to be looking straight down at the lifeboats? Or are they tucked under the deck below pretty good? Is there a soot issue on the aft sides?

Noise. We are directly above the main dining room. I figured that meant it should be more quiet, if anything, but I read somewhere else that it could be more noisy due to cleaning and setting up. It's above, not below, so surely that's better. Has anyone stayed above the dining room?

I booked directly through RCCL. Did I mess up? I didn't even check with a travel agent. I read that some people move their bookings to one, how does that work and what would the point in that be?

We are traveling with 2 four year olds. What have you done for motion sickness at that age? We've used the pressure point bracelets before, do they make little sizes? Any other remedies that you would recommend?

We have a connecting interior room but am having trouble finding any pictures of these rooms. Is there a sofa, mini sofa, or is it just a chair?

I'm going to have a million more questions between now and then, but I thank you in advance!

30ht3jm.jpg

HMH G, first of all, congratulations on booking Liberty of the Seas and getting your group all set up! Well done, I know that is quite a feat. You guys are going to have a blast on this ship!

Let me answer some of your questions below:

1) Rooms a lot of times are a personal preference, so with that being said, I believe you picked some great rooms. You've clustered them together, which is excellent and will be easier for you all to keep track of each other. They are towards the back of the ship, which means that you will have less foot traffic coming by your door so there is less chance you will be woken up by any rambunctious cruisers walking by (my wife and I always book as far back as we can for this very reason). The back of the ship will also experience less movement, as opposed to the front of the ship, and a lower level is better for movement as well.

The interior rooms are usually the lowest priced rooms on cruise ships, but I prefer these rooms because I'm really only in my room to sleep. Otherwise I'd rather be wondering around the ship, or out having fun at a Port, etc. Also, you can get better sleep in interior rooms as you don't have sunshine coming in to wake you up. The flip side is that whoever you have in the balcony can go relax on the balcony and enjoy the ability to gaze out into the ocean or at the cruise port, etc, which is a nice perk, especially during sailaway and leaving the ports. Those are just some thoughts. Again, room preferences differ depending on who you ask.

2) As previous posters have stated and in looking at pictures, it looks like these are tucked underneath, so you should have a great view. The other way to tell would be to ask your travel agent, if you move your booking over, or to call Royal Caribbean directly and they can tell you if there is any "obstruction" with this cabin. It should be marked for them, like for instance the oceanview cabins at the front of the ship, some are marked like 25% or 50% obstructed because of the front of the ship jutting out and blocking their view of the ocean.

Your question on soot is a good one, and I'm not entirely sure, but I would think you should not have any problem with this. I can do a little research and get back to you on this though.

3) Being over the Dining Room should not be a problem, I wouldn't think. I looked at the deck plans and if anything you are over the front left of the dining room as you come in the doors, where tables would be situated. Like you said, better above than below, where footsteps, etc would be a problem. I have personally never stayed above the dining room, so it would also be good to get opinions of anyone else who has done so, if any cruisers on this board see this and are willing to do so.

When booking next time, try to get cabins above and below you, that is the best solution, but I think you should be fine here. If you're worried about it, you can always contact Royal Caribbean, or a travel agent, to see what rooms are available to switch to.

4) No, you did not mess up with booking directly through Royal Caribbean. They can handle your booking and do just fine. The only caution with Royal Caribbean that I would give you is that any one customer service agent can give you a totally different answer than another one. It is best to rely on someone with experience cruising that can help guide you, in my opinion.

It is very easy to get your booking moved over from Royal Caribbean to a Travel Agent, as long as you are outside of the final payment window. The only thing you would have to do is pick an agent and give them your reservation number and names and they will take care of the rest. It can take up to 7-10 days to do, but the Travel agent will take care of that for you. A plus is that it does not cost you anything extra, it is totally free to you.

Here is a list that I have put together of some reasons to use a travel agent:

1. One, they are always on the lookout for deals, so they can send them along whenever they see a great deal. Also, you can tell them when the next time frame you would like to go on a cruise, and they will keep a look out for the best possible deal.
  2. Certain agencies can get half price deposits with certain cruise lines, including Royal Caribbean, which is nice to keep that money in your pocket for as long as you can.
  3. Once the agent has something booked for you, they can continue to check it day after day to see if the price goes down. If it does, they can rebook it for you and you get the better price, at least until final payement. So they are constantly on the lookout to not only get you a better deal on your current cruise, but to look to see if there are any deals that pop up around that time frame to send you as well.
  4. Any problems that arise with the cruise line or your reservation, they will interface with the cruise line for you and get it resolved, so you don't have to deal with the headache of battling whoever you have booked with.
  5. They can suggest shore excursions for you, help you book specialty restaurants, get advanced tickets for the big ships (Oasis Class and Quantum Class have pre-booking for the broadway, aqua theater, and ice rink shows).
  6. They also can look into getting you to and from the ship, and see whether the ship transfer is the cheapest, or renting a car and dropping it off, a private transfer/shuttle, etc is the cheapest/best solution for you.
  7. They can look up flights, etc for you, to give you options to choose from, saving you time and headache.

8. Whatever questions or concerns you have, they will try to solve them and help you have the best possible experience. Travel agents don't know everything, certainly, but if they don't know the answer, they will find it out, again, saving you time.

9. They can sweeten your cruise with a little gift basket before you go (maybe with some small sunscreen, a Tide pen for any stains on shirts, hand sanitizer, etc, things you will need on a cruise but may not think of) or get you added perks sometimes like a free meal in a specialty restaurant or other perks.

10. They will remind you when final payment is coming up, what documents you need, etc prior to your cruise.
  11. Really, they are there to ask any questions to and to make your life a lot easier and your vacation more stress-free. It is a free to you, you don't pay anything additional to use a travel agent, and Royal Caribbean and other cruise lines suggest using travel agents.

12. There are certainly many other reasons as well.

Again, transferring your reservation over to a travel agent is easy. You simply give the agent your reservation number and your names and they take care of transferring it over and then they can work on your behalf to make your cruise or vacation great!

5) You mentioned that you are traveling with two 4 year olds. My suggestion would be Dramamine and Benadryl. They make these for kids as well that are good for children above age 2. They also make motion sickness wristbands for kids, you could give these a try- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004L4D0DU. This thread on cruise critic also has a few more ideas like ginger, etc that you might want to take a look at- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1172563.

Certainly each child is different, so you may have better luck with other medications/remedies than others. I would suggest taking a few different things and seeing what works. The last thing that you want to do is get out on the ocean and have your kids be sick the whole time, right? I hope that helps!

6) Here is a video of two connecting promenade staterooms on Freedom of the Seas (Liberty's almost identical sister ship)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FhS7eGg1fA. Ignore the promenade window and the little sofa at the window. This is the closest I have found by poking around just the last couple of minutes. Let me look into this more and get back to you as I cannot recall. Plus, a picture or a video might be best of the actual thing.

If you have any questions, please ask away. Myself or anyone in the cruise critic community would be happy to answer them. You're also welcome to email me directly and I will see what I can find out for you: globetrotter (no space) travel (nospace) ta (nospace) at (nospace) gmail (no space) dot (no space) com, just remember to take out the spaces in between the words.

Good luck and have an awesome cruise! You are going to love it!

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry this response is so late ^^, hopefully you still needed some answers! :)

THANK YOU. Very informative, I appreciate it! I feel more at ease and we can't wait for our trip! Traveling with little ones still makes a little nervous but they are excited already too [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You will be fine..you did good. No worries...enjoy the anticipation! Dec 6 is a mid-level deck, and I'd rather be "aft" than "forward', as far as motion goes. April is a great time to cruise...but NO ONE can predict the seas. if it's rough, the medical center has dramamine...so don't worry!