Costa Maya Suggestions

jovisoul

We walked into town from the ship. In town we found a fellow - no lack of them- to take us snorkelling. He took us to exactly where the ship's tour was and it cost us $15 each. Prices varied. The second time we again walked into town and got massages on the beach. One hour- 2 for $25. Probably a slow day but it was a very nice massage. We shared a cab back with people from our dinner table. I don't know the exact price but it was not much.

The Chachoben (sp) ruins are very interesting. The tour we did stopped for lunch at a cenote where you could swim in the cool clear water. It was a private excursion booked through Helaman Tours in Cozumel.

I agree that the Chacchoben ruins are very interesting. We did this several years ago, and it remains one of my favorite Mayan ruins excursions to date.

When we visited, Princess offered trips to both Chacchoben and Chichen Itza. We chose Chacchoben because it was only about a 1 hour drive each way, we were told it was much less crowded, and because the site includes ruins that are fully excavated, some that are only partially excavated, and some that are completely un-excavated (or, rather, had been re-covered over by the jungle after initially being excavated in the early 20th century). It was really a fascinating trip, and amazing to see not only the ruins themselves, but the a bit of the excavation process and the "power" of the jungle to completely cover over these structures in a short period of time. We had a good long time at the site, both on a guided tour and then we had "free time" to wander around on our own.

The folks who chose the Chichen Itza excursion seemed to enjoy it, but we did hear lots of complaints that it was a very long day, with extremely long bus rides (I want to say at least 3 hours or more each way), and many said it was very crowded and "touristy".

I have also always heard that the beaches, swimming and snorkeling are wonderful at this stop.

Have fun. I'd love to stop here again, myself, one of these days.

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

Thanks so much everyone for your replies! This is the only island on our itinerary that we have not been too. We booked this cruise more for the ship (Regal) than the itinerary.

I was leaning toward ruins, but wasn't sure which to do!! :)

Thanks so much everyone for your replies! This is the only island on our itinerary that we have not been too. We booked this cruise more for the ship (Regal) than the itinerary.

I was leaning toward ruins, but wasn't sure which to do!! :)

CM is not an island. Part of the mainland. ;)