What to do in Grand Turk??

sophiecat

Having been to Grand Turk (in the past two years) now, we have rented a car every single time. The past three times we rented through Grace Bay - they have been wonderful to work with!

We originally thought we'd like to try the golf cart, but the first time we went, there were five of us - and we coudlnt' have fit. However, having rented a car - I would never do anything differently.

First off, there's A/C!! It is HOT on GT, and the a/c is most wonderful!

There's more room because of the trunk to have the car.

It's less $ to rent a car (with taxes, etc, it was $64.00 for the day).

We could take our car off the main road, and we have explored the entire island, I think.

Because we've had a car and have gone all over, I now have friends who are locals. What a blessing and neat experience!!

Anyway, consider renting a car - you can still find beaches, shops, history, and more.

Grace Bay was wonderful!!

I saw a photo in a review and I was curious if anyone has ever done before:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43142248#post43142248

Go to post #36 with photo of the speed boat. That looks like fun. Has anyone ever done this excursion?

If so, please explain. Thanks.

I agree that it looks like fun. Very interested in any responses you get as I will be there is a couple of weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
we rented a golf cart for the day toured the island, went to the conch farm, which was interesting , saw the sites and went to Jack's and Janet's shack, enjoyed our visit with them. Love grand turks hoping to go back there some day

Could you please tell me where you rented a golf cart? I heard that Nathan's is now closed.

• 2 weeks later...

In response to snorkeling right by the ship. It is great! Swim out a bit toward the ship and you will be near a shelf full of fish. Once you get to it just swim parallel to the ship. We have 20 years of experience snorkeling the Caribbean. This is not the best but good. Pool, food and drinks at Margaritaville were great and free chairs by pool or on beach. Pool is zero entry.

We went to Grand Turk July 2013 on Carnival Splendor. We did not do a cruise water excursion. We opted for an independent excursion, as they are not as crowded. There were 6 on our boat (incl my family of 4) vs. 70+ on cruise excursion! We booked a snorkeling excursion with Blue Water Divers. They were very accomodating. We went to a shallow snorkel spot, and then they took us over to "the wall". We saw barracudas, sea turtles, and lots of colorful fish, coral. It was very easy getting to their shop. They do not pick you up at terminal, because they are not the company that Carnival uses for excursion. We jumped in a cab, and they took us there 5 min away. And we were back 2 hours before we had to board. So if your not afraid of doing an independent tour, Blue Water Divers was great. I had done lots of research, and all the posts said go with them. We're going to do it again next summer!

We were there in 2012 & had a great day hanging out on the beach & at Margaritaville. My Husband & kids event went tubing at the beach. This year we stop there as well & we plan on doing the same thing with our group of 13. A couple of them want to do the flowrider as well.

It's a very relaxing low key beach day. We love it there!

Have to agree with everyone else, we have been there at least 4 times and I have never gotten further than the cruise port. Between Margaritaville, the shopping & the beach there really isn't any need to go further. We going to be there in Jan. and I rented a cabana at Margaritaville, you really don't need it but its a nice place to store your stuff, get quick service on food & drink and works as a meeting place.

How much is it to rent a cabana? I would like to stay out of the sun if possible. One skin cancer removal is enough to curtail my tanning. Thanks!

The kids and I did a 2 hour snorkel trip once we got off the ship, my wife and parents waited for about 30 minutes for the main crowd to die down for getting off and then headed off. They looked around the few shops at the pier and decided that since they still had 2 hours to take a taxi downtown, they caught the cab right there at the port and it was $5 pp to get downtown.

Most food and drinks were at least 50% cheaper there. The wife and folks got beers, rum punch and cracked conch for $22, we ate at the little place next to Margaritaville (I didn't want to deal with the tons of folks in there after our snorkeling trip) and rum punch was $7, bud, bud lite, coors, etc..were all $7 or you can get a bucket of the local beer (by bucket I mean 6 beers, not 4 like on the ship) for $24 and conch fritter (ok, but my wife says not near as good as downtown) for something like $7 for a few of them.

If I had know all that I would have had Dannel from Crystal Seas Adventures drop me off at the beach close to downtown and shop and drink there as it's much cheaper!

Good Luck!

If you like the water I'd recommend going on a Snorkel trip out to the Wall with Danniel!

Its the best I've done!

Cheers!

Has anyone done the Island Tram tour? Is it worth 29$ pp (I wonder if you can negotiate the price on the beach?)

Or what is there to do in the town - and how much would it cost if we took a taxi?

The tour has good reviews on Trip Advisor and we like the fact that it's narrated.

Do you think the taxi driver will point out things on the way and maybe stop at certain places so we can take pictures?

Maybe we can just negotiate a price with a taxi for a private tour?

Anyone have pictures to share of the downtown area?

Edited by jb456

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone done the Island Tram tour? Is it worth 29$ pp (I wonder if you can negotiate the price on the beach?)

Or what is there to do in the town - and how much would it cost if we took a taxi?

The tour has good reviews on Trip Advisor and we like the fact that it's narrated.

Do you think the taxi driver will point out things on the way and maybe stop at certain places so we can take pictures?

Maybe we can just negotiate a price with a taxi for a private tour?

Anyone have pictures to share of the downtown area?

The Island Tram tour is now $25 pp and I think they may give you a discount if you're going as a group. If you take the same tour in a cab it will cost you between $35-$40 pp.

Hanging out at the beach could be fun, there is also banana boat rides, horseback rides etc.. Also on the way to Jack Shack there is beachside massages and Free Wifi at Capt Hooks Bar and Grill..

Hope that helps...

Would you give directions from the ship to the Conch graveyard? DD loves to go thru conch shells.

Go through the DuFry shop at the end of the pier>Turn right and go tot he beach on that side>go past the small excursion boat pier and the whale statute>walk over the rocks along the shore and head toward the tip of the island, which you can see. All along the shore line and around the tip and a short ways up the other side, you'll find conch shells in various states of condition.

If you are traveling to the lighthouse, along the road about a 1/4 mile before the lighthouse on your right you'll see a small turnoff with a deserted guard shack (assuming it's still there). Go down that small road until it gets steep (about 100 feet), then walk the rest of the way to the beach. Go left along the beach and you'll find other conch shells.

I believe there's a similar spot north of Cockburntown and north of Bohio Resort. But I'm not sure of its exact location.

In short, if you're driving around, or being driven around, and come across a beach access road with little or no development, you'll probably find conch shells somewhere nearby.

The Island Tram tour is now $25 pp and I think they may give you a discount if you're going as a group. If you take the same tour in a cab it will cost you between $35-$40 pp.

Hanging out at the beach could be fun, there is also banana boat rides, horseback rides etc.. Also on the way to Jack Shack there is beachside massages and Free Wifi at Capt Hooks Bar and Grill..

Hope that helps...

The website still states $29 so I am going to presume that the price is negotiable with the guys selling it on the beach.

Did you negotiate the price to $25 or is that what they quoted you?. When we travel to all inclusive resorts we always negotiate the price of excursions down so we will try to do the same with this tour. $20 each sounds like a reasonable price to pay.

If not we will ask a few taxi's for a price. After reading many reviews and forum posts it appears many have been able to take a nice taxi tour for in the $50's for the entire car not per person. Might be worth a shot if we let the first crowd do there thing and wait for the last few taxi's that might not get a fare.

Apparently some reviews have mentioned that the taxi driver has informed them that if it was not for them asking for a tour then they may have not made any money for the day. To me that sounds like lots of drivers are looking for some business and willing to undercut other driver prices to get the fare. Opportunity :)