Dining Solo - What Is Your Preference?

SteadyBetty

I sailed on the NCL Epic earlier this month in a studio cabin. You're correct that the solos' cruise director schedules dinners each evening. He or she will also arrange for solos to attend the shows together. There will be a sign-up in the studio lounge each day and it will let you know the deadline to sign up, time of the dinner, and location.

On the Epic, the solo meet-up was at 6:00 p.m. every evening. I attended only the first evening as I had dinners with different people from our roll call most evenings.

Typically when I cruise solo I eat by myself most evenings. I take a book and enjoy the solitude. As I mentioned in my previous post, on my Epic cruise earlier this month, I had dinner with other roll call members (I think that had more to do with the fact that I coordinated and hosted the meet and greet and got to know more people than usual because of it). But, I'm quite content to eat solo. I've never felt out of place or in the spotlight, but probably because I really don't pay attention to what others around me are doing at their tables. :o

On NCL the studio cabin host set up dinner every evening for the solos. Or so I'm told, my first solo on NCL is coming up in two weeks!

Please write a review when you return. I'd like to know your opinion on the solo dining arrangement by the solo cabin host; whether you enjoyed the arrangement or preferred other dining options.

Please write a review when you return. I'd like to know your opinion on the solo dining arrangement by the solo cabin host; whether you enjoyed the arrangement or preferred other dining options.

Will do.

I'll be the odd one here who LOVES eating solo and will specifically request it. Twice I got seated with people with whom I had not only little to nothing in common, but whose line of discussion made it quite obvious that anything I was to share about my life would have just made them angry and made everything uncomfortable. And having to hide big parts of yourself when everyone else is sharing is so hurtful. I just find it much easier to eat by myself.

Royal Caribbean has MyTime Dining or something like that.

I used it once when I was cruising with friends and they wanted traditional dining and I wanted to eat at another time. The issue with that was the long wait. Most people there were family/couples so I don't know if there would be table sharing, but you could ask and I know you can set up table sharing with the cruise line or TA ahead of time on RCCL.

95% of the time I'm on NCL one of the reasons is non-traditional dining. Either DH and I are together or I'm traveling alone and want to be alone though I'll eat with people I've previously met on board.

I'd suggest attending Solo Meet Ups. Upside, you will find someone to eat with, often the host for the groups will put together group dinners. Downside, you may or may not enjoy the company.

Whatever you decide, give dining solo for dinner a chance. Change clothes, look fabulous and show up at dinner with a "Mr. Demille, I'm ready for my close up" face and attitude and you'll have a great time I'm sure. :)

I know one of these cruises when I go solo again, I will put on my big girl panties and dine solo - in one (or some) of the restaurants. Until then, I'd like to ask what do other solos do for dining? I was thinking maybe sign up to be part of a table of 8 or 10? Sign up for a table for one? Does Royal Caribbean set up a table or two for solo diners?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by xenagurl

Royal Caribbean has MyTime Dining or something like that.

I used it once when I was cruising with friends and they wanted traditional dining and I wanted to eat at another time. The issue with that was the long wait. Most people there were family/couples so I don't know if there would be table sharing, but you could ask and I know you can set up table sharing with the cruise line or TA ahead of time on RCCL.

95% of the time I'm on NCL one of the reasons is non-traditional dining. Either DH and I are together or I'm traveling alone and want to be alone though I'll eat with people I've previously met on board.

I'd suggest attending Solo Meet Ups. Upside, you will find someone to eat with, often the host for the groups will put together group dinners. Downside, you may or may not enjoy the company.

Whatever you decide, give dining solo for dinner a chance. Change clothes, look fabulous and show up at dinner with a "Mr. Demille, I'm ready for my close up" face and attitude and you'll have a great time I'm sure. :)

Thank you, xenagurl!

Hi,

I was a solo cruiser on Anthem (March 4-7). I enjoy my solo trips anywhere I travel, but this was my first solo cruise. I found myself eating at the WJ mostly or grabbing a slice or two from Sorrento's. Dining alone does not bother me in the least in my daily life, but on the ship it seemed daunting. I felt like it would be "spotlight-ish" if I went to the main dining room or any of the specialty restaurants alone.

I know one of these cruises when I go solo again, I will put on my big girl panties and dine solo - in one (or some) of the restaurants. Until then, I'd like to ask what do other solos do for dining? I was thinking maybe sign up to be part of a table of 8 or 10? Sign up for a table for one? Does Royal Caribbean set up a table or two for solo diners?

Thanks in advance!

I like MDR with large table. Have always except once had an enjoyable table (if you don't feel on the first or second nights that the table isn't for you ask for a change). Always look forward to sharing the day with others. Just sailed recently on the Serenade and had an especially nice group of people. My husband always wanted a table for two but I find I think we missed a lot of doing that.

• 1 month later...

I did my 1st cruise ever in January (NCL's Escape - was amazing) with a bunch of couple friends. I had a studio room on that cruise & had a lot of fun hanging with my new solo friends when my 'old' friends were too tired to hang at night. I'm booked on NCL Getaway in a studio for Thanksgiving week, 11/20-27. I like NCL because besides having amazing ships/cruises, the studio rooms have access to the solo lounge and they do 5pm daily meetups in the solo lounge - to plan dinner/shows together each evening so if you wish to dine with others you won't be alone. I made so many great new friends and had a blast every night.

Thank you for your review...it has answered several of my unasked questions. Probably cruising the Rhine with Viking in July and was a bit concerned about going solo...

You drove it home with your comment about people being more involved in their own vacation than spotlighting a solo cruiser..any other tips will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you for your review...it has answered several of my unasked questions. Probably cruising the Rhine with Viking in July and was a bit concerned about going solo...

You drove it home with your comment about people being more involved in their own vacation than spotlighting a solo cruiser..any other tips will be GREATLY appreciated.

Hi,:) I just did my first River Cruise and it as FANTASTIC:)...I went on

AMA Waterways so I have no information about Viking. But I can

tell you dinner on a River Cruise is waaaayyyy different than on an

ocean cruise.....it was so much more memorable for me.:)..the dining

room is much smaller and the service on AMA is outstanding. I always

sail solo.

There is a River Cruise forum and you can get alot of great tips over

there:)

Edited by Lois R