Recommendations for reliable transporation from LGA to Manhattan Cruise Terminal

We are a group of 7 needing reliable, dependable transportation from LGA to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal in June. We are coming in on three different flights to two different terminals; all within 10 minutes of each other. We have investigated different options and wonder if someone has some good advice. Ideally we'd like one group to be picked up at Terminal B and the rest at Terminal C. I understand that there is a free shuttle from terminal to terminal every 10-15 minutes. I am hoping to find service that will give us a dedicated vehicle so we are not stop and go to a lot of places before getting to the cruise dock since we need to board 2 hrs. before sail time. At times we've used Super Shuttle but have read almost universally bad reviews of the service in NY.

I was very surprised that the costs quoted by services I've contacted of $200+ each way for a dedicated vehicle. Is this the going rate or are they taking advantage of tourists??

Any advice from others who have done this shuttle previously would be GREATLY appreciated.

Try Carmel Limo or Dial 7.

You may want to consider booking two vehicles, one for the group arriving at each terminal. It may be cheaper than booking a single vehicle to take everyone. By the way, just because your flights are scheduled to arrive a few minutes apart doesn't mean they will. Come to think of it, you probably should book three vehicles, one for each group of arriving passengers. To me it makes little sense to risk having to wait for a delayed flight or flights. Any car service will charge you for waiting time on top of the fare. You can all meet at the cruise terminal or on the ship. A car for 2 or 3 passengers should cost about $35 plus tolls and tip.

Edited by njhorseman

Concur & seconded with what NJH said above, question came up recently & I looked up the extra charges on Carmel & Dial7's website - on a similar routing; each extra stops is like $25 USD, yes - not kidding at all.

The traffic flow/direction of the free LGA shuttles between terminal is such, that - reference the map linked here - http://www.nycairporter.com/portals/4/App_Images/NYCAirporter_LGA_Terminal_Map.jpg

not counting wait time, in-airport traffic slowdowns & boarding/getting off with luggage - it should take about 10 minutes to go from Terminal C to B. If picking up from B and then returning to C, that trip can take easily 20 to 30 minutes - I have not taken it in a long time & not sure if it go to the "remote" MAT to the west first, before returning to stop at T-D first, then to C.

Terminal B is also considered really the main/central terminal with multiple airlines sharing, and traffic/pickup there is just miserable at peak hours - each group should just stay together, retrieve & pick up any and all checked luggage - and, proceed to meet the car service as arranged with the driver - and, go to the pier. Lately, the Port Authority Police are keeping traffic moving at all times and there is absolutely no waiting whatsoever outside the terminals ... just dropoff & pickup, hurry & get in and move along - no thanks to recent events overseas & the continued threats.

Both Carmel & Dial 7 are reliable and we use one of them consistently most of them, dependable & always on-time/early for picking us from our residence - to airports and to the piers, etc. They have free mobile Apps for download & use in Apple Store & Android Play Store, it is very, very useful - works just like those Uber Apps with updated, real-time display of the assigned car & driver, color & description & once dispatched en route nearby - texting and/or calling to inform you ETA, etc.

It's nice to have all 7 riding together - and, you can meet & wait for the rest of the group at the pier and inside after going thru security - it's a huge terminal & depending on arrival time, you can often find seating to wait. You will have the entire duration of the cruise to catch up, have fun, relax & enjoy. I will spare the lecture about arriving on the day of the cruise - Amtrak train #89 - the Palmetto out of NYC bound for Georgia derailed this morning just before 8 AM after a collision and has resulted in suspension of all train services between Philadelphia and NYC - and sadly, 2 confirmed with unknown # of injuries.

Safe travel & happy cruising.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Still digesting what I should do. Taxi fares quoted by you guys are a LOT lower than what I am finding on the internet. Time to get there a lot shorter than the 1 hr. I've been told. Perhaps Manhattan is the less time but Manhattan cruise terminal is the longer. Can that be?

Depends on your search engine :D Try this link below - it's accurate & guaranteed, once confirmed - plus a $3.00 online discount code usually apply. For a typical Saturday morning LGA arrival - direct to MCT (use Pier 88 or 90 as the destination shortcut, under Manhattan Hotel's drop-down list) - since, we don't know your exact date/time & cruiseline, etc https://www.carmellimo.com/WebApp/Job_Pricing.jsp;jsessionid=7141DC4A3D655F56219970855CB74A99?uqid=8659459221261079555

On Carmel - LGA to Pier 88/90 @MCT, lowest fare for a standard sedan is $30 plus toll + tips, $33 for a luxury sedan and $38 for a deluxe (all of them usually fit 3 passengers + 3 medium sized suitcase + hand luggage/smaller carry-on ... Minivan for up to 6 + luggage is $50. Travel time on a weekend morning with moderate traffic via RFJ Bridge with toll, across 125th Street & down West Side Hwy, one of the best/fastest route, not the shortest one - is 30 to 45 minutes, road & weather conditions permitting. Folks coming from points north & east, even west of NYC often find this route the best to avoid cross-town traffic, that often move less than 2 or 3 MPH on weekdays during business hours, that's 7 AM to 8 PM ++

Prices for Dial7 are usually slightly higher but not by much as they are competitors to each other. Fares seemed to be lowered lately for both major car service in response to Uber operating in NYC - which is good for values conscious customers/passengers for a pleasant ride.

Taxi fares varied depending on choice of highway, local streets and will run about $40, give or take - from personal experience but if you run into unexpected bridge traffic or others - it's 50 cents for every 1 minute of not moving or engine idling on the road >>> hence, we prefer & recommend car service for no surprises on the fares. Metered taxi fare as above would run about $50 to $55, I believe.

Manhattan is a "small" but densely-populated island, LGA is toward the east side (East River) and MCT is on the west side at Hudson River - time/distance travel varied depending on the exact address - Google Map (or, equivalent - for those on iOS) is your friend.

We sometimes book a standard or luxury sedan - differences are subtle & sometimes get a free upgrade to the next available car by dispatch, sometimes even a mini-van if others aren't nearby. All inclusive, 3 sedans will run no more than $150 - door to door services & just wait/catch up at the pier ... each party has a mobile telephone, right.

Happy cruising & safe travel :cool:

Edited by mking8288

Easy for 7 coming into 2 terminals (LGA aren't numbered, rather - A, B, C and D) - book/call for a Minivan to take 4, even 5 - with luggage; typically - Honda or Toyota and 5 medium suitcases are fine + smaller carry-on & backpacks, etc.

Remaining 2 or 3 pax only need a 4 door sedan, standard or luxury grade, difference of leather seating & maybe newer year on make/model (i.e. Nissan Altima/hybrid or Toyota Camary) plus luggage.

Delta flights use mostly terminal C and D, but shuttle flights (mostly, Boston & DC) used A (a/k/a Marine Air Terminal) - United & AA flights use T-B (and, Air Canada, Southwest, etc.) - folks haven't booked their fights into LGA yet ?

With base fares, tolls for 2 vehicles and 20% tipping - don't forget to use the $3 off online coupon for the airport trip) - about $110 in total from ballpark calculations - much less than your dedicated "quote" - before toll & tipping as budgeted.

Other regulars on the forum, feel free to add/comment & if i miss anything on their plans.

Delta flights use mostly terminal C and D, but shuttle flights (mostly, Boston & DC) used A (a/k/a Marine Air Terminal) - United & AA flights use T-B (and, Air Canada, Southwest, etc.) - folks haven't booked their fights into LGA yet ?

Delta has moved Boston flights from the Marine Air Terminal (Terminal A) to mainline C & D. ONLY flights Term A are to/from DCA (Washington Dulles) and ORD (Chicago Ohare), Delta is squatting on all the other gates/slots so no one else can move into the Terminal.

You are correct Terminal B (Central Terminal) traffic is a bear. Only good thing is most services, shops/food are BEFORE security, all other terminals at LGA 90% of services are behind security. Terminal B can be a good place to meet if others want to deal with transferring between terminals with luggage.

C/D are now connected airside with two moving walkways.

FWIW

Thanks so much for the input. And yes, we are all booked to LGA for June but the flight #'s we will be on are listed on the itinerary but those #'s are not for the flight we will be taking, apparently they are being transferred to the flights we are taking or they are code shares and we don't know the carrier's number. Five of them are coming in on AA flights [ from PIT and ORD]; We are coming on Delta which I know comes into "C". Still working on the logistics. NEVER had so much trouble arranging getting the group together for any other cruise but then we've left out of SJU or MIA. Cruise line will take us but at $45 per way per passenger. Seemed rather pricey but maybe it really isn't with all things considered.

The cruiseline transfer is pricey! 7 X 45 is more than $300. If you take 3 cabs at $50 each that is only $150 total. Plus the cruiselines make you wait until a large coach bus fills up I think once you give up the idea of all parties traveling in one vehicle it will be easy. You all have cell phones. Meet up at the pier or even on the ship. You can text each other your every move. I recently went on a cruise with family members and we met up on the ship. Even members sharing a cabin don't have to check in together.

THANKS. We are 7 so will have to figure out how to best get there. Don't know how many will come in to Terminal 2 and how many to Terminal 3.

Hello, Hoping some New Yorker's or past cruisers will chime in here and give me their input. Party of 4 adults arriving LGA on a Saturday October1, 2016 for cruise on Sunshine. We are considering arriving at LGA at 1:30pm day of cruise (I know some will suggest come in a day before the cruise) the time to the port I have heard is approx. 30mins via taxi. If we take into account for possible heavy traffic, re-routes, or accidents, should we be able to make the port prior to the 4pm sailing?

Hello, Hoping some New Yorker's or past cruisers will chime in here and give me their input. Party of 4 adults arriving LGA on a Saturday October1, 2016 for cruise on Sunshine. We are considering arriving at LGA at 1:30pm day of cruise (I know some will suggest come in a day before the cruise) the time to the port I have heard is approx. 30mins via taxi. If we take into account for possible heavy traffic, re-routes, or accidents, should we be able to make the port prior to the 4pm sailing?

Way too late an arrival on the day of the cruise. You have to be at the port by 2:30 to make the TSA cutoff. 30 minutes via taxi is very optimistic if not downright unrealistic.

Where are you coming from? At a minimum you should be on the first flight from your airport leaving at o'dark hundred. If you must do this, read this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2337218 and BUY INSURANCE.

If you MUST be at the ship by 2:30, honestly, I don't think you'll make it. What with by the time you actually get off the plane, get your bags (I assume you're doing more than carry-on) and and get the cab and get out of the airport...that's going to take 30-45 minutes. Not to mention what if your flight is delayed? When arriving at LGA and a family member is picking me up adn I have checked luggage, I always say "plan to be there a 1/2 hr after the flight lands".

Edited by marco

You will never make it coming in at 1:30. We were told emphatically that we must be at the terminal by 2:00 p.m. or they would not allow us in the terminal and we must be aboard the ship by 2:30 as they pull up the loading ramps then. NO exceptions unless the cruise line provided the tickets and even then, they said it was their choice whether to sail w/o us and get us transportation to the first port. I'd STRONGLY suggest getting a much earlier flight. Our group of 7 are all getting in at 10:30 a.m. and we are sweating getting our luggage, transportation, etc. and getting to the ship by 2:00 Just sayin'

... we are all booked to LGA for June ... and we don't know the carrier's number. Five of them are coming in on AA flights [ from PIT and ORD]; We are coming on Delta which I know comes into "C". Still working on the logistics. NEVER had so much trouble arranging getting the group together for any other cruise but then we've left out of SJU or MIA. Cruise line will take us but at $45 per way per passenger. Seemed rather pricey ...

Cruise line bus transfer is pricey and given your arrival time, not necessary - especially if you are on time or running late in-bound. Take car service & pre-book as above, once confirmed - call & let them note in their system that you will call after wheels down/landing & inside the terminal, ready for pickup by meeting the driver outside (downstairs is arrival, upstairs is departure) Be sure you registered & download the free mobile APP for use on your smartphone, updated email address & mobile #'s as they will call/SMS or text update once the vehicle is dispatched (garage/holding area is nearby, 10 to 15 minutes away at most)

Logistics - easy, AA flights will come into main terminal or terminal B for the 5 passengers - they will all fit into a minivan with their luggage, when everyone is ready - call/wait & get into car service to the pier directly to start the check-in process (and, wait for the other 2). Two of you coming in via Delta or its regional code-share partner flight, regardless of terminal C or D, upon arrival with luggage collected - call/wait & go and check-in (wait or meet up with the rest of the party)

Total cost for a minivan & 4 door sedan will come to about $120, 20% tipping & bridge/tunnel toll into Manhattan included (as that is most often the fastest route to the pier ... the drivers do and will know of any unusual incidents the day of your cruise as their base dispatcher will get alerts & warn/diver the drivers on the road ... they do NOT want to be late nor missed their schedule either) The group saved $180 vs. cruiseline bus transfers on a motor coach - and, wait for them to fill up and other late arriving passengers.

It is not complicated - the group can and should meet at the terminal and/or onboard after checking-in - what if one of the party's flight is late on arrival & your plan is to wait, then, everyone is late getting to the ship terminal.

Edited by mking8288

... Party of 4 adults arriving LGA on a Saturday October 1, 2016 for cruise on Sunshine. We are considering arriving at LGA at 1:30pm day of cruise ... the time to the port I have heard is approx. 30mins via taxi. If we take into account for possible heavy traffic, re-routes, or accidents, should we be able to make the port prior to the 4pm sailing?

Don't do it - book an earlier flight and if none available, fly in a day earlier. Typically, we are very familiar with NCL's cutoff time for boarding, 2 hours before sailing and there is absolutely no way to get there - not even if CCL has only a 90 minutes or 2:30 PM cutoff for a 4 PM sailing.

If you do, buy the best travel insurance that do cover you & make plans to fly to the next port instead. Sorry, no "if" or "but" about it. Carol/138east's link about AAA ground stop this past weekend is just one example for many that I can think and know of. LGA has only 2 runways, 1 for takeoff and 1 for landing - under optimal ILS/VFR conditions - ever heard of flight diversions or runway closure.

Ultimately, it's your own call and your cruise, trip and vacation and time/money spent and down the drain. Happy planning & safe travel - good luck, you will need mucho :eek:

Way too late an arrival on the day of the cruise. You have to be at the port by 2:30 to make the TSA cutoff. 30 minutes via taxi is very optimistic if not downright unrealistic.

Where are you coming from? At a minimum you should be on the first flight from your airport leaving at o'dark hundred. If you must do this, read this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2337218 and BUY INSURANCE.

Confused, what does the TSA have to do with a cut off time of any cruise sailing time??? Their only concern should be if your bags are safe and meet prohibited item restrictions....

We can book a flight out of Orlando, Fl to arrive @ LGA @ 10:30am day of. Is that doable?

Edited by ERNLYN

Confused, what does the TSA have to do with a cut off time of any cruise sailing time??? Their only concern should be if your bags are safe and meet prohibited item

restrictions....

It's not TSA, but it is another division of the Department of Homeland Security, United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

CBP rules require cruise lines to submit their final passenger manifest one hour prior to the ship's scheduled departure. As a result, cruise lines typically cut off passenger check in anywhere from 90 minutes to 2 hours prior to scheduled sailing time.

Do not take a flight scheduled to arrive at 1:30 pm. It's virtually certain that you'll miss your cruise's check in cut off time.

Edited by njhorseman

Confused, what does the TSA have to do with a cut off time of any cruise sailing time??? Their only concern should be if your bags are safe and meet prohibited item restrictions....

We can book a flight out of Orlando, Fl to arrive @ LGA @ 10:30am day of. Is that doable?

I can understand that you don't want to pay for a hotel the night before, but...

I'm seeing even earlier options Oct 1 on Jet Blue and United. Newark Airport is also an option. You are not limited to La Guardia.

Newark has the most reasonable pool of hotels if you come in the day before. Don't forget Oct is still hurricaine season in Florida and New York.

YES that is doable. Your bags need to go through a screening process BEFORE they put them on the ship and the registration process in the terminal before you get to the ship has to be done. Perhaps not as easy and smooth as you'd imagine.

• 2 weeks later...
confused, what does the tsa have to do with a cut off time of any cruise sailing time??? Their only concern should be if your bags are safe and meet prohibited item restrictions....

We can book a flight out of orlando, fl to arrive @ lga @ 10:30am day of. Is that doable?

yes.....

• 2 months later...
We are a group of 7 needing reliable, dependable transportation from LGA to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal in June. We are coming in on three different flights to two different terminals; all within 10 minutes of each other. We have investigated different options and wonder if someone has some good advice. Ideally we'd like one group to be picked up at Terminal B and the rest at Terminal C. I understand that there is a free shuttle from terminal to terminal every 10-15 minutes. I am hoping to find service that will give us a dedicated vehicle so we are not stop and go to a lot of places before getting to the cruise dock since we need to board 2 hrs. before sail time. At times we've used Super Shuttle but have read almost universally bad reviews of the service in NY.

I was very surprised that the costs quoted by services I've contacted of $200+ each way for a dedicated vehicle. Is this the going rate or are they taking advantage of tourists??

Any advice from others who have done this shuttle previously would be GREATLY appreciated.

Trip completed. Got a private car for our group. He picked part of the group at "C" and part at "B". Went smoothly. Came back to pick us up after the cruise - also went smoothly.