FAA grounded all flights to Florida missed cruise

Let's get this out there first, I did not take the cruise insurance, I have been on 7 cruises and never needed, not even close. Now after saying that my party of 7 was scheduled to fly out of Nashville yesterday to Ft Lauderdale to board the oasis of seas with a 4:30pm departure. At approximately 9am the FAA grounded all flights entering Florida airspace due to severe weather. After waiting 4 hours to take off it was clear we were going to miss cruise. I called RCI they said I could meet the ship but two passengers did not have valid passports, they then said we could transfer and book on the allure the next day but not enough rooms. I then stated we would simply rebook on the same ship with same itinerary on June 18th and it began, all departments, emergency, post cruise, and passenger relations said sorry we will be keeping your $11,000 and you will get nothing not even a free pina colada, have a nice day. There were over 1000 passengers that missed this boat yesterday. Someone please give me some recourse. Taking all suggestions. Thanks

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I sincerely hope you have travel insurance.

OP started the post by stating that they did not take out the insurance because they "never needed it on 7 cruises".

Exhibit A of "you never need it until you need it".

Also Exhibit A for reasons to plan to fly at the latest the day before your cruise.

Sorry you missed your cruise. You took the gamble on the first 7 cruises by not buying insurance and you won. This time you gambled and lost. You probably could have bought a lot of insurance for the $11,000 you lost this time.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

Let's get this out there first, I did not take the cruise insurance, I have been on 7 cruises and never needed, not even close. Now after saying that my party of 7 was scheduled to fly out of Nashville yesterday to Ft Lauderdale to board the oasis of seas with a 4:30pm departure. At approximately 9am the FAA grounded all flights entering Florida airspace due to severe weather. After waiting 4 hours to take off it was clear we were going to miss cruise. I called RCI they said I could meet the ship but two passengers did not have valid passports, they then said we could transfer and book on the allure the next day but not enough rooms. I then stated we would simply rebook on the same ship with same itinerary on June 18th and it began, all departments, emergency, post cruise, and passenger relations said sorry we will be keeping your $11,000 and you will get nothing not even a free pina colada, have a nice day. There were over 1000 passengers that missed this boat yesterday. Someone please give me some recourse. Taking all suggestions. Thanks

Sorry for your misfortune.

How did you find out 1000 people missed the ship?

Just saying.

Just wondering if you read your contract when spending $11,000.

OP started the post by stating that they did not take out the insurance because they "never needed it on 7 cruises".

Exhibit A of "you never need it until you need it".

Also Exhibit A for reasons to plan to fly at the latest the day before your cruise.

Two lessons learned here, I hope.

Exactly!!

My parents are going on the Disney Fantasy on 4/30 - last minute, my sister was able to get them a super rate with the CM friends/family deal - and decided to fly to MCO rather than drive like they often do. The moment Daddy said "So we're probably going to fly down that morning..." I said "No. I don't care what the difference in price is, fly down the day before!!" The peace of mind is so worth it.

I feel sooo badly for you. I just can't imagine how you are feeling right now. I'm sure in the future you will fly in the day before. We used to fly in the day of the cruise, but had a very close call one time...and that was it. We now fly in the day before.

I'm so very sorry about your loss...that is a lot of money, plus like all of us, you had looked so forward to your vacation!

Exactly!!

My parents are going on the Disney Fantasy on 4/30 - last minute, my sister was able to get them a super rate with the CM friends/family deal - and decided to fly to MCO rather than drive like they often do. The moment Daddy said "So we're probably going to fly down that morning..." I said "No. I don't care what the difference in price is, fly down the day before!!" The peace of mind is so worth it.

Good advise!

Early in our cruising careers, we flew in the morning of the cruise, not thinking about missing the ship due to our flight or lack thereof. We now always come in the day before, just to be relaxed and as you stated 'peace of mind'.

The insurance also can be a huge savings and one less thing to worry about if there is ever a needed for medical evacuation from a foreign port. For us, that is why we buy insurance every cruise. The risk reward is huge! All the other features/benefits are extra to us.

Travel insurance, flying in at least the day before, would be a must I think. I've flown in the day of for a few cruises but stressful.

Just to save some funds, I would have taken what ever cruise they offered. Without the insurance, and the way their contract is worded, not sure you have recourse or options.

I'd say three. Get travel insurance, fly in the day before, and have passports.

I'm not sure the OP has any recourse here. RCI offered an option, meeting the ship in the first port, that would have worked for five of the seven...those with passports. They chose to turn that down, and they also chose to turn down sailing on Allure today, when at least part of the group could have gone.

Expect nothing, and you won't be disappointed.

It sounds like you're not entitled to anything, but write a nice, calm letter and maybe someone will take pity.

Outline the reservation numbers, amounts paid, and the issue with the flights (even better if you can get something in writing from the airline/airport validating the delay). Ask if there's any possibility some or all of the amount paid could be put towards an alternative future cruise. Mail the letter to customer service at HQ.

Then cross your fingers.

I don't even risk driving the 4.5 hours from Dallas to Galveston on the day of departure. And I always have cruise insurance although I have thankfully never needed it. Expensive lesson for the OP and hopefully a lesson for others on Cruise Critic to travel the day before departure if at all possible and to always have cruise insurance.

I understand you are upset, and I am sorry you missed your cruise, but surely you were aware of the risk of flying in the morning of the sailing, of not having insurance or passports, and of ALL mainstream cruiseline's policy about missing the ship. You are lucky they offered you Allure as an alternative. What you are asking for is not reasonable and would not be granted by any other cruiseline either.

I am surprised they offered transfer to Allure if there were not enough rooms available. Why would they offer something they know is fully booked?????? A party of 7 would need 3 rooms max. I would have taken anything going, even if it was a downgrade if I didn't have insurance.

Lesson 1 get insurance

Lesson 2 don't travel same day.

I suggest if you paid by cc contact them to see if they have any insurance built in to your card.