FAA grounded all flights to Florida missed cruise

I called RCI they said I could meet the ship but two passengers did not have valid passports

Tough lesson learned and good reason why having a valid passport is important. You spend thousands$$ on a cruise, but many just won't pay the money for a passport or insurance. I'll never understand

Edited by psupa

Good advise!

Early in our cruising careers, we flew in the morning of the cruise, not thinking about missing the ship due to our flight or lack thereof. We now always come in the day before, just to be relaxed and as you stated 'peace of mind'.

The insurance also can be a huge savings and one less thing to worry about if there is ever a needed for medical evacuation from a foreign port. For us, that is why we buy insurance every cruise. The risk reward is huge! All the other features/benefits are extra to us.

Yep! When I cruise on a school break, I fly down the first flight I can after school is out (some people will take a "personal business day" that last day, but I know our principal doesn't look kindly on it), which makes me nervous enough, especially for Presidents' Week!

I'm really glad I had built in a couple of extra days (a day and a half once I land) in Barcelona rather than daring to fly in so I'd land on embarkation day for my upcoming cruise. When I booked it, (Delta) I was landing at like 9:35. Thanks to changes in Delta's schedule, I now am scheduled at 11:35. If that was day-of I'd be freaking out - and would have taken them up on the "If this doesn't work for you, call us" to change to an earlier flight. :)

And YES on the insurance! I'd rather spend the small amount on it and not need it than not spend the money and be out the cost of the cruise, etc.

I don't even risk driving the 4.5 hours from Dallas to Galveston on the day of departure. And I always have cruise insurance although I have thankfully never needed it. Expensive lesson for the OP and hopefully a lesson for others on Cruise Critic to travel the day before departure if at all possible and to always have cruise insurance.

Agree, we hit awful traffic one year driving down when there was a crash on the bridge. It took us just as long to get over the bridge as it did the rest of the trip. We were glad we did not need to rush as we went the day before. If it had been day of sailing it would have been too stressful!

Sometimes, if you can't be a good example for others, you can be a horrible warning.

There is an anti motivational poster like that. It shows a shipwreck and says 'It might be that the purpose for your life is act as a warning to others'. ;)

Tough lesson learned and good reason why having a valid passport is important. You spend thousands$$ on a cruise, but many just won't pay the money for a passport. I'll never understand

I never enter an airport without it even if I'm flying domestically. It is the best form of ID for flying.

There is an anti motivational poster like that. It shows a shipwreck and says 'It might be that the purpose for your life is act as a warning to others'. ;)

I can't decide if that is profound or depressing.:eek:

I would keep trying people at Royal and see if they can help you. As others hae said check with your credit card company and see if they have any trip protection. Best of luck and I am so sorry this has happened to you

Another good reason to fly in the night before: luggage. Years ago some Canadian friends of mine met me in Florida for our cruise. I flew in the night before. They took a red-eye that got in about 0600 the day of the cruise, and came to my hotel.

Their flight from Vancouver to Dallas was delayed, but they made the connecting flight after sprinting through the Dallas airport. Their luggage did not make it. Fortunately for them the airline did a great job getting their luggage on the next flight and to my hotel, or they would have been doing some last-minute shopping.

Micheal feel bad, but why didn't allow your party who had passports catch up with the cruise? At least some people coild have enjoyed a vacation. I bet next time you will buy insurance. and the credit card idea is a good where you may have some hope of so e sort of refund.

I am especially sorry that you missed your cruise.....I just left the Oasis yesterday after an absolutely amazing week. It has been 4 years since we were last onboard this magnificent vessel. It has only gotten better and I thought it was pretty fantastic a few years ago! I plan on posting a review on my thoughts, advice and luving the suite life when I finally catch up at home. In the mean time, we were on an AIR CANADA flight that was supposed to depart at 10:55 yesterday morn, that due to late departure from TORONTO and Lavatory issues (LOL), we did not push back from the gate until 12:20 and then only to hear the Captain announce that incoming and outbound flights were stalled due to the unstable air mass. He also informed us that we were 10th inline for take-off after they opened up the runways. OK... so now I know that we were going to miss our connecting flight in Canada onwards to Alberta. Luck was with us that day, and our connecting flight was delayed so all was fine.:) Just had to come home to no suite steward Mario (we were in 12730 and our daughter and her friend were in 12728) Absolutely fantastic suite (would absolutely reserve it again !!!) . Anyway, bottom line, I did think about all the flights that were not allowed to land due to weather conditions and was hoping that everything cleared for the incoming passengers.

RULE #1: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS TRAVEL WITH A VALID PASSPORT. NO EXCEPTIONS.

RULE #2: FLY IN THE DAY BEFORE

RULE #3: NEVER GAMBLE WITH MORE THAN YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOSE. (INSURANCE VS. NO INSURANCE)

I feel for the OP, but you take your chances.......

Happy and Safe Travels,

Pam

BTW..... I luuuuuuvvvvv this ship!

I am soooooooo sorry this happened to your group.

I cannot even imagine just KNOWING I would not be on the ship.

Much to my husband's dismay, I MAKE him fly down the day prior, because I have read too many horror stories like this one.

We never buy the insurance either.

But the cost of a hotel, for one night, say $150, is much cheaper than the insurance.

I hope RCCL can do SOMETHING for you, but it's not looking good.:(:(

I'm not buying what the airline told you. I live in So. Florida and THE WEATHER WAS FINE YESTERDAY!!!!!! We had some rain up north of us, near Orlando, but not in the southern part of the state. A cool front came in last night, but that wouldn't have affected a morning flight. I think the airlines lie when they have an issue with a plane, or crew, or something you can blame on them.

I'm not buying what the airline told you. I live in So. Florida and THE WEATHER WAS FINE YESTERDAY!!!!!! We had some rain up north of us, near Orlando, but not in the southern part of the state. A cool front came in last night, but that wouldn't have affected a morning flight. I think the airlines lie when they have an issue with a plane, or crew, or something you can blame on them.

There was another poster on this thread on her way home who was grounded from leaving by the FAA in Orlando. There are massively high winds all up and down the East Coast from yesterday afternoon through today, so I'm not one bit surprised that there may well have been a flight grounding that took place.

Sorry you missed out on your cruise. I still wouldn't buy insurance either. It's basically for suckers. I self insure. You didn't "lose" money. You spent it at least 60-75 days ago. It was already gone. Unfortunate you didn't get to enjoy your vacation, but stuff happens. Sometimes life is good, sometimes it kicks you a little. But in the end, this is hardly a tragedy. I'm sure you'll enjoy your next vacation.

Let's get this out there first, I did not take the cruise insurance, I have been on 7 cruises and never needed, not even close. Now after saying that my party of 7 was scheduled to fly out of Nashville yesterday to Ft Lauderdale to board the oasis of seas with a 4:30pm departure. At approximately 9am the FAA grounded all flights entering Florida airspace due to severe weather. After waiting 4 hours to take off it was clear we were going to miss cruise. I called RCI they said I could meet the ship but two passengers did not have valid passports, they then said we could transfer and book on the allure the next day but not enough rooms. I then stated we would simply rebook on the same ship with same itinerary on June 18th and it began, all departments, emergency, post cruise, and passenger relations said sorry we will be keeping your $11,000 and you will get nothing not even a free pina colada, have a nice day. There were over 1000 passengers that missed this boat yesterday. Someone please give me some recourse. Taking all suggestions. Thanks

Was it charged on credit card and does it cover trip interruption/cancellation.

I have a Chase Sapphire and it covers among other things, these events. For $95 per year, it pays for itself in one cruise.

By the by, why not meet the ship and ignore those 2 individuals that did not have valid passports. I was under the impression that passports were required.

North Florida had storms and high winds. A departing pax off Oasis commented on the weather. The airlines rely on weather forecasts like the rest of us. I don't know why anyone would say they lie if it's mechanical. We've all had flights delayed or cancelled because of mechanical.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Was it charged on credit card and does it cover trip interruption/cancellation.

I have a Chase Sapphire and it covers among other things, these events. For $95 per year, it pays for itself in one cruise.

By the by, why not meet the ship and ignore those 2 individuals that did not have valid passports. I was under the impression that passports were required.

The SHIP will let you on with just a certified birth certificate and a photo government-issued ID.

The AIRLINES will not. So if they had to fly to the next port to meet the ship, they were SOL.