Binoculars...Suggestions?

20somethingguy

Hi everyone.

Cruising aboard Carnival Miracle in 8 days (6/27/15) and want suggestions on which binoculars to buy.

What size? Brand? Dual focus or each side focus individually?

My price point is $50-$150.

I'm likely to order soon on Amazon since the cruise is next week and we leave on the 26th to LA.

Thank you all in advance!!!

P.S. I have done a search on CC but I want the most recent opinions here.

Edited by 20somethingguy

Hi everyone.

Cruising aboard Carnival Miracle in 8 days (6/27/15) and want suggestions on which binoculars to buy.

I'm likely to order soon on Amazon since the cruise is next week and we leave on the 26th to LA.

I'm an avid bird watcher and you're going to get the bottom of the line even @ $150.00. Go on ebay and find a pair. However, know what you're buying. If they're out of focus, it's because the binocs have been dropped, good luck in repairing them. Nikon is a good brand, Leitz is top of the line $1,000+. Cabela's sells binoculars. If I were into purchasing a pair, that's where I would go. You get what you pay for. JMHO.

I am a longtime REI customer. Go to REI and tell them what you are looking for and how much you want to pay. They know what they are talking about and can help lead you to the best choice for your price point. Best part is that if you don't like them after buying and using them, you can take them back for a refund or other choice. Their customer service is second to none.

We will be on the same cruise with you. I'm a avid hunter and a gear nut, and I've spent way too much time shopping for binos. I would suggest Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x32. I bought them a year ago and they outperform many binos 5x the price. They are $180, but Opticsplanet.com has a 10% coupon code on their site.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/sightron-sii-blue-sky-8x32-binoculars-rubber-armored.html

If you search the Alaska forum for "binoculars", you will get 491 hits. That is a lot of information available to you. I do agree with the REI response however.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Distances are crucial. From the ship, keep your magnification (first number) at 10 or lower. My 10-42 worked OK in calm seas. Ship motion makes the 10 a bit wobbly, 8 works better. I brought an inexpensive pair of 8 x 22, light, portable, very useful. They provided a great look at mountain goats from Mendenhall, which came out just recognizable with my 300 telephoto Nikon 7000. Within your price range you should be able to do fine. Enjoy your trip.

Although it is a bit too late, on one of the many binocular threads on CC, someone suggested checking the local pawn shops for good buys.

DON

Always a good idea can't walk past a pawn/second hand shop. Make some great finds.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of returning them to Amazon and going second-hand next.

I loved being able to see farther than others (especially as we sailed past Cabo on our way to Puerto Vallarta). Also looked at the stars on the nights there were no clouds.

I definitely recommend getting binoculars for a cruise. My 7x50's performed well in bright light and low light (night).

• 3 weeks later...

We used to take my Dad's 30 year old Zeiss binoculars with us for cruising about 10 years ago. When we started cruising in Alaska, we found out a waterproof binoculars are a must as we like to cruise late in the season to get a better deal on price. But later season also means potential rain. We have some Zen-Ray VISTA 8x42 for over 7 years and are very happy with them. We took them to Alaska, Iceland, Yellowstone for more than few dozens times. My birding friend like to take them expensive Swarovski with them. But for less than 1/10th of the cost, I am very happy with my binoculars.

Hi everyone.

For my cruise to Alaska, I bought Bushnell 10X50 for $57 on sale at Walmart.com. Amazon had the same binoculars for$139.00. Most reviews gave a 5star rating. They are the best binoculars that I have had. Excellent for spotting whales and wildlife.

Hi guys, the binoculars I have are Nash Kelvinator 1942 H M R, M3 6X30, my dad brought them home from WW2. Take them to Alaska whenever I go up there, and in Sept will be going again. I'm told these binoculars are better than the ones today.

Virginia

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a pair of Steiner Commanders for at least 30 years (the model I have are still in production by the way ;)). I use them when sailing or when cruising to scenic locations like Alaska. They are very good but they're expensive - even used on 'FleeBay'. Currently the Steiner Commander's sell for around $1,100 :eek: - but - there is a time worn saying, "buy the best and cry once". Next time on a cruise take a look at what your port pilots use and what your ships captain likely uses :rolleyes:.

• 1 month later...

I realize what I have is expensive, but I want to let folks know how pleased I am with what I have ... especially in Alaska. I purchased Canon Image Stabilizing (10 x 30) binoculars. Once you focus, you simply hold down the button on top and the image "locks" in. No shaking or bouncing around like you get handholding other binocs. It's great for panning the ocean for whales or scanning across the shoreline looking for animals! I realize they're not for everyone ... but I'm really happy that someone told me about them. So, I thought I'd pass the info along.

I brought binoculars on my recent Alaskan cruise, but found I hardly used them. I have a pretty good camera and I found it easier to use the zoom on the camera to see wildlife/scenery and then I could take a photo at the same time too. Just a personal preference. I wear glasses, so I don't care for binoculars too much and find the camera easier with the digital screen.

• 1 month later...
I realize what I have is expensive, but I want to let folks know how pleased I am with what I have ... especially in Alaska. I purchased Canon Image Stabilizing (10 x 30) binoculars. Once you focus, you simply hold down the button on top and the image "locks" in. No shaking or bouncing around like you get handholding other binocs. It's great for panning the ocean for whales or scanning across the shoreline looking for animals! I realize they're not for everyone ... but I'm really happy that someone told me about them. So, I thought I'd pass the info along.

Let me second BigGuy's recommendation: I have the Canon 12x26 IS's and love them. That magic image stabilization button makes a HUGE difference in how you see things; makes for very happy eyes and terrific viewing.

My caveat's are: they are not waterproof, they are a bit bulky, and they are on the expensive side. But, of all the binoculars I own, they are the ones that really make my eyes less stressed when I look through them and I can spend time actually looking at the whale, goat, seal, otter, eagle, rather than trying to calm the jumpy image down. :)