Private excursion or tour OFF of Labadee?

hmwende

Greetings!

While we love a great beach, we live on the Gulf Coast of Florida and would prefer to see the "real Haiti" while visiting the port of Labadee. We also prefer to take excursions with private tours rather than with the ship. Is anyone aware if there are private tour guides willing to take us on a private tour by car or boat of Haiti? We are also interested in potentially volunteering for the day, but I can't seem to find any way off of Labadee. Any ideas would be appreciated.

You cannot leave the confines of Labadee...it's fenced and secure. It's a beach day, pure an simple Don't even think that you're "IN" Haiti....you cannot leave the leased compound at all. There is an island that is part of Labadee, and the ship offers an excursion to it.

We were able to book a private excursion to a private beach called Malfini (I think). Only about 20 people. It was wonderful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by ducklite

We were able to book a private excursion to a private beach called Malfini (I think). Only about 20 people. It was wonderful!

Thank you, was this private excursion with the ship? If not, would you please share the name of the operator?

Thank you, was this private excursion with the ship? If not, would you please share the name of the operator?

I don't recall if it was through the ship or private. I'm sure if you google Malfini Beach Haiti or along those lines, something will pop up which will be useful.

Maldini is PART of Labadee. You will NEVER be IN Haiti...it's simply not allowed for RCI or Celebrity passengers.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. It is not part of Labadee. It is a private beach area owned by an expat family who lives in Haiti. It requires a boat ride of about 20 minutes (about 4 nautical miles) to get there. Yes, the outside provider offers the excursion through RCCL, but once you get on that boat into the open water, you are not in Labadee. When you land on the beach of Malfini, you are in Haiti. Period. I have been there. I know this for a fact. You, as usual are guessing--incorrectly I'll add.

There's no way that a X/Royal pax will get beyond the fence.

You don't get there over the land, you take a boat into the open water then around a tip of the land into a bay that leads to a secluded cove. In Haiti.

You don't get there over the land, you take a boat into the open water then around a tip of the land into a bay that leads to a secluded cove. In Haiti.

Setting foot on the pier in Labadee also is "being in Haiti.", the Malfini beach is still a cruise line controlled environment (actually the cultural tour part going there is to a purpose build site/mock up thing). Look it up on Google Maps in satellite view, there's nothing there beyond the trail. Other posters and me are trying to say that a pax will never see the real Haiti. Closest we saw was the coastal village of Labadie from the adrenaline RIB speedboat tour were much of the local hied crew lives but the RIB never came close to the town. The town had a power blackout for a week due to the heavy rain from last week, power line poles snapped due to landslides/heavy rain we were told by our local crew member.

We did enter the bay of the Malfini beach, up to some hundred yards of the beach. A beautiful place and will there's a few (weekend) houses it's far from the real Haiti.

The same goes for Amigo island, a controlled environment and not anything near the real Haiti.

Going out to Cap Haitien on the opposite side of the Labadee mountain area would be the real Haiti to me. But no chance at that at as a cruise line pax.

There are some AirBnB weekend houses near Labadee/Labadie, rented out by expats/lucky locals I guess. But you would have to fly in by airline or sail in by private ways of transport.

We would love to explore the beauty of Haiti after our Labadee visit but really aren't sure if it's even safe and manageable to do so on our own. It may be not the right time or appropriate to visit such a heavy hit/poor country as a tourist who can't accomplish or actually help anything to the people of Haiti.

But the coast looks beautiful, must have been quite some sight for Columbus to approach after a long journey..

Labadee is in Haiti. Malfini Beach is a cruise line excursion. Like in other ports it may be contracted to a local tour operator but Royal Caribbean does not allow independent tour operators to book on their own at Labadee. None are allowed inside the gated area and passengers won't be allowed to walk out the gates. There are men with machine guns at the gate guarding it. You pay Royal Caribbean for the Malfini excursion. Also Malfini is no more the "real Haiti" the OP is wanting to see than is Labadee.Over the years a rare few may have been given special dispensation for a mission but the OP has almost no chance to get permission. They can contact corporate and try if they know anyone in Haiti but they should have very low expectations.

Edited by Charles4515

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. It is not part of Labadee. It is a private beach area owned by an expat family who lives in Haiti. It requires a boat ride of about 20 minutes (about 4 nautical miles) to get there. Yes, the outside provider offers the excursion through RCCL, but once you get on that boat into the open water, you are not in Labadee. When you land on the beach of Malfini, you are in Haiti. Period. I have been there. I know this for a fact. You, as usual are guessing--incorrectly I'll add.

I also been there. beach chairs not lounges. it was wonderful. i wanted to book it twice -just stay all day. peaceful and quiet. no lunch but booze.