Opinions on which Princess ship please

Hi,

I've been looking at the new itinerary received in email today and was thinking of Majestic (have not sailed Princess before) but the reviews of her from veteran Princess cruisers makes me think perhaps another ship.

Can I have your thoughts please on which Princess ship you like best and why. Obviously itinerary comes into it but I'd like to get a sense of the ships themselves.

Many thanks clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

I have sailed on the Diamond, Emerald, Golden and Sun to date. My personnel favorite is the Diamond Princess just the right size for us. The Sea and the Sun are smaller and more Australianised if that is a word. Emerald and Golden are also sailing in Australian waters both are bigger than the Diamond. The only one I would not sail again would be the Sun as it was too small for us and in bad repair when we were on her but that was a few years ago.

The new Majestic is currently getting bad reviews due to the fact that it was built for the Chinese market and so there are less bars and entertainment venues, more gambling areas and high end shops.

Can you give an idea of what cruise itinerary you were looking at and what type of experience you are expecting? This may help to narrow down your choices.

I've been on Sun (twice), Dawn and Golden. I really like Sun, it's a nice size and Crooners in the Atrium is a real social hub in the evenings. She also has an International Cafe which never seems to get overcrowded. The bathrooms are a tad bigger than the newer ships. The balconies are hull cutouts - OK but not the best I've experienced. The inside cabins are smaller than newer ships but work in twin mode.

I also liked Golden, which is a Grand Class ship, newer than the Sun Class ones. The inside cabins are bigger but the bathrooms are smaller - the shower cubicle is uncomfortably small IMHO. I love the Lotus Spa Pool on Golden, quiet and secluded.

Majestic is a new Royal Class ship. From what I've read she's has some differences to the standard American fitouts. I'd take some of the current reviews with a grain of salt, some people just don't like change. The changes may very well work in our region, especially given that most of the itineraries are to NZ. However I am concerned about the reduction in bars (ie no Crooners) for the Aussie market. And, as I understand it, the balconies on the Royal class ships are very, very small. Just big enough for two chairs facing each other, not facing out to sea. I'm going on Royal Princess in September and hoping to try Majestic late next year when she debuts in our region.

I've been on Sun (twice), Dawn and Golden. I really like Sun, it's a nice size and Crooners in the Atrium is a real social hub in the evenings. She also has an International Cafe which never seems to get overcrowded. The bathrooms are a tad bigger than the newer ships. The balconies are hull cutouts - OK but not the best I've experienced. The inside cabins are smaller than newer ships but work in twin mode.

I also liked Golden, which is a Grand Class ship, newer than the Sun Class ones. The inside cabins are bigger but the bathrooms are smaller - the shower cubicle is uncomfortably small IMHO. I love the Lotus Spa Pool on Golden, quiet and secluded.

Majestic is a new Royal Class ship. From what I've read she's has some differences to the standard American fitouts. I'd take some of the current reviews with a grain of salt, some people just don't like change. The changes may very well work in our region, especially given that most of the itineraries are to NZ. However I am concerned about the reduction in bars (ie no Crooners) for the Aussie market. And, as I understand it, the balconies on the Royal class ships are very, very small. Just big enough for two chairs facing each other, not facing out to sea. I'm going on Royal Princess in September and hoping to try Majestic late next year when she debuts in our region.

Can you please explain "Grand Class" and "Royal Class" and are the other princess ships a different class? Thanks

Can you please explain "Grand Class" and "Royal Class" and are the other princess ships a different class? Thanks

The class of ship is the size and style it was built in. This is what I've figured out so far - hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Sun Class, named after Sun Princess, and there are three ships in that class:Sun, Sea, and Dawn which is moving to P&O soon. Sun class ships are the second-smallest in size, holding around 2000 passengers.

Grand Class, named after Grand Princess, actually has sub-categories, and vary slighly in the number of passengers they carry. Golden carries around 2600 passengers. I think Diamond is similar, and Emerald has an extra deck of cabins so carries around 3100 passengers, I think.

Grand - Grand, Golden and Star

Gem - Diamond and Sapphire

Caribbean - Caribbean

Crown - Crown, Emerald, Ruby

Royal class are the newest builds. Royal, Regal and Majestic, with two as yet unnamed build in the pipeline I believe. They carry around 3500 passengers. Majestic has some significant differences to the other two as she was fitted out for the Chines market.

There is one other Princess ship, Pacific Princess, which is much smaller than the Sun class. I'm not sure if she belongs to a "class".

There is one other Princess ship, Pacific Princess, which is much smaller than the Sun class. I'm not sure if she belongs to a "class".

She is in a class of her own , ALL CLASS that baby.

I'm in Auckland so thinking of one of the round NZ ones that leaves from either Sydney or Auckland, meaning I only need a one way flight.

Majestic probably has the best itineraries for that in that season, although I did notice one Sun cruise departing Sydney in December 2018. Majestic should be agood ship for NZ itineraries, with the covered pool and closed in observatory area forward. Most other Princess ships have the pay-extra Sanctuary area forward and that isn't enclosed.

I recommend flying first and cruising home. That's what we do for NZ cruises - we fly to Auckland and cruise back to Sydney. The downside is that one way fares aren't much cheaper than return fares, which is ridiculous but all airlines do it. We've been able to use frequent flyer points for our flights, which are genuinely one way prices.

Grand and Royal refer to the first new ships built of a particular design.

The Grand Princess was the first ship built of its class therefore all the following ships built for Princess using the same design

were in the Grand Class.

The Royal is their newest design, all that follow using the same basic plan will be Royal class.

You can go to the Princess website and look through the deck plans of all the ships. Click on the tab Onboard our Ship and choose deck plans.

Hope this helps to explain it. :)

Does she ever come down this way?

I think she called into Sydney ealier this year on her way to Hong Kong on the World Cruise for the Americans. Some really good last minute prices Sydney to Hong Kong caught my eye.

Does she ever come down this way?

Only as part of a world cruise.

She was for a while Princess' sole representative down here.

Part of our love for her may be that she is where our love affair with cruising started.

She doesn't have all the bells and whistles, only one MDR, only one specialty restaurant open a night, (when we started on her the buffet wasn't open at night), no MUTS, but gets into ports the others can't, if you do need to tender anchors way closer. And as I keep saying with 680 passengers you get to know people (even the Captain).

Majestic probably has the best itineraries for that in that season, although I did notice one Sun cruise departing Sydney in December 2018. Majestic should be agood ship for NZ itineraries, with the covered pool and closed in observatory area forward. Most other Princess ships have the pay-extra Sanctuary area forward and that isn't enclosed.

I recommend flying first and cruising home. That's what we do for NZ cruises - we fly to Auckland and cruise back to Sydney. The downside is that one way fares aren't much cheaper than return fares, which is ridiculous but all airlines do it. We've been able to use frequent flyer points for our flights, which are genuinely one way prices.

OzKiwiJJ-why do you recommend flying first?

Thank you everyone else for the info :)

My view on that was the same as OzKiwi, fly, explore, cruise home. Cruising is more relaxing than exploring and flying, get home fresher.

Not sure if that's her reason, but it was ours.

Part of our love for her may be that she is where our love affair with cruising started.

She doesn't have all the bells and whistles, only one MDR, only one specialty restaurant open a night, (when we started on her the buffet wasn't open at night), no MUTS, but gets into ports the others can't, if you do need to tender anchors way closer. And as I keep saying with 680 passengers you get to know people (even the Captain).

Gut

Just as a matter of interest what was the longest number of nights you spent on board her and how many cruises have you taken on her?

Cheers, r :cool:

Gut

Just as a matter of interest what was the longest number of nights you spent on board her and how many cruises have you taken on her?

Cheers, r :cool:

Only two unfortunately Rabbit. Our first ever cruise with the Capt being now Commodore Romano.

Then with Capt Goidway, who was our Capt again on our most recent cruise and asked if he knew me from somewhere (but then total strangers think they know me), longest was 17 nights, sailed into the tail end of Cyclone Monica, which was fun on a little ship, but convinced Mrs Gut she need not fear rough seas any more.

It was just after that cruise that we had to take a lengthy break from cruising due to health problems, and in that time they replaced her.

But I'd be happy to do a long cruise on her.

However those who look to be entertained 24/7 may find her not to their liking, especially on a longer cruise.

Size and different ship builders mostly, all have their minor differences across the class as the build progresses and market catered for changes.

The link below will help form a basic overview.

http://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Princess-Cruises-Fleet-Overview.html

:cool:

A "Class" of ship is a particular design of a ship. When a newly designed ship is built, it may be that another of the same type is required, so the shipbuilders will use the same design for the next ship. The first ship built is usually the flagship of it's class and gives it's name to that class of ships.

So that as an example Radiance of the Seas, which was christened in 2000 is the flagship of the Radiance Class, which includes Jewel of the Seas (2004), Brilliance of the Seas (2002), and Serenade of the Seas (2003).

These ships are all very similar in size and hull shape, although their internal layout may vary considerably due to redesign during the build and during refurbishments.

So if you look at Grand Princess and Royal Princess, you will see that their hulls and superstructure are not at all the same, but that Grand Princess is very like Golden Princess and Star princess. The same goes for the Royal princess with Regal Princess.

She is in a class of her own , ALL CLASS that baby.

Gut, just another question for you , or anyone that has sailed on the Pacific Princess as we havent.

What is it that everyone loves about it that the Sun class doesnt have?

I read about how everyone loves the Pacific Princess, but complain about the Sun/Sea/Dawn being older and smaller, but the Pacific is older and smaller than them.

Just wondering what the differences are, although I have read that some in the US would love to have the Sun Class back there.......is it just that Princess Australia dont upkeep them, or take away features that they keep on the Pacific Princess?

Gut, just another question for you , or anyone that has sailed on the Pacific Princess as we havent.

I read about how everyone loves the Pacific Princess, but complain about the Sun/Sea/Dawn being older and smaller, but the Pacific is older and smaller than them.

Just wondering what the differences are, although I have read that some in the US would love to have the Sun Class back there.......is it just that Princess Australia dont upkeep them, or take away features that they keep on the Pacific Princess?

I haven't been on Sun, Sea or Dawn yet, so can't really say I have been on the similar sized Celebrity Century and was very happy. I must say though that I know many people that adore the Sun class ships, for similar reasons we love Pacific, it's the smallest they've been on, and find smaller better.

That way you can shop while overseas and you don't have to worry about your baggage allowance on the flight. I'm always stocking up on things that I can buy in NZ but can't get in Australia, plus I found a really good kitchenware shop in Hobart and came home from our last NZ cruise with a new mandoline - no way would I have been able to fit that in our flight baggage allowance. :D

Also cruising is more relaxing than flying so get the worst part of the travel over first if you can.

I'll have to keep an eye out for a WC sector then. Problem is we're already booked up well into 2019, all with cruises we really want to do.

About 20 tables outside at the aft to eat buffet meals;

Pizzeria at the buffet;

A huge wood panelled library with lots of large armchairs;

Small theatre where the front circle of chairs are "ringside";

A dedicated Steakhouse.

Easy to get to know all crew; so quickly became very friendly ship on longer cruises.

The true highlight for us however, was being able to dock "downtown"

The last hour up the Saigon River and being able to walk into town.

Departing; sitting out on the aft tables having dinner watching the sunset as we twisted and turned back down the river.

That was the Ocean anyway.

The Pacific is generally dearer now however.

Edited by Opua Kiwi

The people that complain about the Sun class ships are those that like bigger and brighter.

Essentially you need to look at a ship from a few different angles:

1. Cabins - it's swings and roundabouts in this area IMHO. If you win on the bathroom size, you lose on the balcony design, or the inside cabin width. I suspect you'll hear serious grumbles from me about the Royal class balcony size after our September Med cruise, especially as we've done a couple of Celebrity cruises which have great balconies and great bathrooms.

2. The outdoor facilities of the ship. The Sun class ships don't have a covered pool and the Lotus Spa Pool is aft. Golden has more pools, and the Lotus Spa Pool is forward, just below the Sanctuary. We use the Sanctuary a lot on warm weather cruises and like the fact that it is above the buffet on the Sun class ships so we easily can duck down and get a plate of food for lunch and take it back up to the Sanctuary.

3. The flow of public areas and bars inside the ship. Personally I think the Sun class beats the others hands down for this. Crooners on the Sun Class covers the whole atrium, not just one side of it, and there is a dance floor there. The Wheelhouse Bar is also bigger. Of course, Golden has the Explorers Lounge but that was seriously underutilized on the Golden cruise we did. Getting to the Traditional Dining restaurant on Golden is a real pain, and the nearest restrooms are on the deck above. The International Cafe seems to work better on the Sun Class ships, less people and maybe more seating. Golden was dreadful for that.

4. Bigger ships mean more passengers which, in turn, means ports are more crowded and tendering can take longer.

Princess does work hard at keeping the Sun Class ships in reasonably good condition, I think, but I guess there are always areas that need work. We never had any complaints about maintenance on the three Sun Class cruises we've been on, and I'd happily book on Sun Princess again.