Can you do Messina on your own?

lcs

We'll be on Royal Caribbean's Greek Isles cruise in May. Can we do the port of Messina on our own? We would rather not do a ship tour and I'm totally confused by the many private tours, can't find any shared tours. Sooo, can we do it on our own?

What are you planning on doing?

We walked around for a couple of hours, ate lunch, and did a little shopping...all by ourselves.

That sounds about right. We may look at going to Taormina also, if the cabs aren't too much! LOL

We did a walking tour on our own, stopped at a trattoria for bruschetta and beverages, and were in the square in front of the cathedral for the noontime chiming of the cathedral's astronomical clock. Since this was such a port-intensive cruise, we thought a DIY day like this was perfect. It's very easy to walk from the port.

You can just walk off the ship (and fight your way through taxis and HoHo bus offers).

We walked up to the two churches on the hills. Don´t miss the cathedral at noon with the moving figures in the clock tower.

Check my photos here. There´s a photo showing the taxi rates for several destinations outside of Messina. Taormina is nice too.

steamboats

The quick answer is yes. But what you do and how you do it will depend on where you want to spend your port day. If you simply want to stay in Messina you can just walk off your ship and stroll around town (assuming you like to do a lot of walking). But if you want to go to a place like Taormina, you would have to explore using the train, regional bus, taxi, rental car, etc.

Hank

We'll be on Royal Caribbean's Greek Isles cruise in May. Can we do the port of Messina on our own? We would rather not do a ship tour and I'm totally confused by the many private tours, can't find any shared tours. Sooo, can we do it on our own?

Messina and Taormina are both easy places to visit without the need of booking a ships tour. Depending of course on what you want to do, spend and the day you are there along with how long.

Ive done Taormina by Train (I think that was 8 euros return - but add 15 Euros at the other end for a cab up to the town - too far and steep to consider walking), and also booking a mini van through a local company which worked out at 40 Euros a head. (Which was "sold" on our roll call - called "The Godfather tour") I'm not allowed to post the company name I think unless you ask specifically if thats of interest of course. It was certainly excellent value.

Annoyingly on the second visit, after paying to go into the amphitheater, we found the views of Etna blocked because a stage and backdrop built to host a concert. Wasnt impressed by that.

Will be interested to hear what the floating harbour now looks like after the ship I was on - and witnessed happening, wiped it out. (Google Vista Messina if youre not aware!)

Edited by les37b

We got off the ship, asked some people "Dove (pronounced "Dovay") la stazione?", walked a few blocks and found the train station. (Hint: follow the light rail tracks)... Then we took the train to Taormina, taking a taxi from the train station there up to the town. It was a pleasant day. Do take the advice of the Godfather: "Leave the gun, take the cannoli." Have the cannoli in Taormina; it was excellent.

Edited by leongcpa

Will be interested to hear what the floating harbour now looks like after the ship I was on - and witnessed happening, wiped it out. (Google Vista Messina if youre not aware!)

les37b,

Check out my link - You will find two photos I´ve taken in October.

steamboats

Have you checked out your roll call for shared tours?

I'm exploring options for this port as well. Unfortunately we're in port 12p-8pm so makes me hesitant to take train to Taormina. I see the ride is only 50 min but will def take taxi if we need to. Les37b, was the 15 euro taxi for both ways?? I'm thinking about spending a few hrs in Taormina then heading back closer to ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm exploring options for this port as well. Unfortunately we're in port 12p-8pm so makes me hesitant to take train to Taormina. I see the ride is only 50 min but will def take taxi if we need to. Les37b, was the 15 euro taxi for both ways?? I'm thinking about spending a few hrs in Taormina then heading back closer to ship.

15 Euros is each way (ie 30 Euros total)

As long as its not a Sunday, you should be OK, though odd times!