Car Seats & Car Services - Which way to go?

ComfyOne

I'm sorry if this has been discussed many times previously but I'm fairly new to cruising, and this is all new territory to me. I would love some feedback, if you don't mind.

We are leaving at the end of May from N.Y. on the NCL Breakaway to Bermuda. We're taking my daughter, s.i.l. and 18 month old grandson with us. We are flying in from Toronto, and of course have a car seat for the trip to the airport. My concern is the trip through New York city to the port, and of course, also the trip back to LaGuardia airport.

If we bring the car seat, would a taxi driver even be bothered to put it in? Is it better to just book a car service with a car seat for trips from and back to the airport? Is it fairly easy to use a car service ?? (never done that before) Sounds like it might be a bit tricky to meet up being such a busy port, and airport. How far ahead do you book this service? Is it reliable?

I know we don't need the car seat in Bermuda, as it's fairly easy to just get around with the ferry and a stroller. So I guess the guestion is: taxi + carseat, or car service to and from ship?

Thanks so much for any insights.

So you think that's the way to go? Seems so hectic where you catch the line of cabs....just wondered if a N.Y. cab driver would even want to take the time to attach it properly. Thanks for your response.

Another option might be a shuttle bus....I'm not familiar with that port, but check the Departure City boards...I'm sure folks will have suggestions! With a shuttle, it's a bus, so you can just stow the carseats...and keep them in your cabin for the return flight home!

I just checked with NCL and they do have a shuttle. It's $50. (Cdn.) per person each way but it seems a good, easy option. Thank you for mentioning that. I appreciate it.

A cab is cheaper and easier. Just install the car seat, it should only take a couple of minutes, if that. Although the NY car seat law is waived in the city, it's still required elsewhere in NY up until the age of 8, so I'm sure drivers are used to it.

So you think that's the way to go? Seems so hectic where you catch the line of cabs....just wondered if a N.Y. cab driver would even want to take the time to attach it properly. Thanks for your response.

I haven't taken a cab in NY with DS yet, but have installed his car seat in multiple cabs other places and never had any problems. Just make sure you know how to install with a seatbelt in case the cab doesn't have latch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is the child flying in his own seat? If so, that's the only way I'd consider flying with the car seat.

If he is flying as a lap child, I'd either use the shuttle or arrange a car service with a car seat. It might cost a little more, but would be worth it.

Most likely, with the NCL shuttle your bags would be taken care of from the airport to the ship which could be one less thing to worry about.

Is the child flying in his own seat? If so, that's the only way I'd consider flying with the car seat.

Lap kids really aren't safe. Even the FAA agrees, they just won't ban them because they are afraid families would choose to drive instead of fly.

The only way I would fly would be with the child in a car seat.

If it's within your budget to get a travel seat, check out the Cosco Scenera Next. They are very inexpensive, lightweight (so easy to carry through the airport) and quick & easy to install.

Then you know you have a safe, reliable car seat. With a car seat "service", you really don't know how the seat was treated before it arrived. And if they forget or bring the wrong seat (like a booster for your rear facing baby), then you are stuck at the last minute without a safe choice.

Thank you VERY much for all the input. Yes, there are pros and cons, and traveling with an active (rather impatient) toddler, a stroller and a car seat can be a bit of challenge. Kind of leaning towards the shuttle, as at least NCL will handle the luggage.

I really appreciate you all sharing your experience. These boards are so valuable. Thanks again.

If you have an active toddler, I would 100% buy the toddler a seat on the plane and use the car seat on the airplane and in the cab. It is NOT safe or fun to fly with an active toddler who is not buckled in.

I did fly with my son as a lap baby on some flights when he was actually a baby (2-10 months). I did it once for a very short flight when he was 17 months old and I will never ever fly with a lap toddler again. When we landed I called and added a seat for him on the next flights we had planned. He was not "bad" by any means, but he did NOT want to sit still in my lap. His car seat kept him safe and me sane :)