When to book business class from US to Europe for May 2016?

amy86

Hello - I am putting a deposit down this month to sail on NCL Epic on May 29, 2016, departing from Barcelona.

We want to book business class air from Boston to Barcelona. Right now there are fares for around $2300/rt which I think is a good price? (Honestly I have no idea) Is it crazy to book flights this far out? When would you recommend purchasing?

Any good tips I should know for saving $$ in business class? I'm not wild about taking chances with mileage upgrades, unless they are a sure bet? I don't usually purchase overseas air or business class, so any tips would be appreciated.

I'm totally willing to get a credit card and earn some points if that is a good strategy but right now we use a Barclays card that give us 2.2% cash back on everything and I have yet to find a better deal. But perhaps for this type of travel there is one? We spend an average of $5000/month on our card (I use it for EVERYTHING).

Thanks in advance!

If you like flying British Airways get their Chase Visa account. Costs $95/yr and saves you 10% off the entire fare. Also sign up for AARP - $400 per person discount on all Club World and First fares.

You earn 50,000 Avios (BA's name for miles) for signing up for the account which is enough for both of you to upgrade to First in one direction.

Obviously flights are through London and you'll be flying a shorthaul business class product for about 2hrs each way but I think BA do a decent job in business class, better in First.

As for when to purchase, I usually fly from JFK to London about 3/4 times per year in First/Club World and best time to book is variable. I booked my Xmas tickets in May, but last year I booked in September. You've just got to sign up for the emails and browse BA.com from time to time.

Based on what I"ve read about British Airways 'free' flights, I have to put my two cents in here.

My experience is that British Airways coded 'free' flights can run several hundred $$ because of the various fees BA charges. I honestly don't know if those fees are charged if you use their Avios miles or only if you use other airline miles .... we use American.

To give you a specific example, we are flying business class next year. Using totally AA miles from our home city, through BOS and onto LHW, on BA coded flights, the BA fees are $553.30 per person.

However, if we fly from ORD, on AA coded flights, the fees and taxes drop to $157.80. Now, we would need to pay from home city to ORD plus use a res agent because we want all this carefully done on one Record Locator number. Adding in the home to ORD flight, plus agent fee, total cost pp is $368. So no brainer to go through ORD.

Therefore, my recommendation ... unless I'm totally missing something .... is that if you are going to get an airline affinity card, I suggest AA credit card over the BA card.

Are you sure they are "BA fees", or airport and government required fees that BA must collect on every seat (award or not)sold? Some of the European airports are known for very high fees. On your ticket, doesn't it list and define these fees? If it says "baggage fee" then I guess BA is getting you. If it says "Airport Fee", it is not a BA fee.

In other words. I would be careful bashing BA. Those extra costs may be charged on any airline- or at least any European airline, going the same route.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Based on what I"ve read about British Airways 'free' flights, I have to put my two cents in here.

My experience is that British Airways coded 'free' flights can run several hundred $$ because of the various fees BA charges.

You may therefore have noticed that fbgd's suggestion was to use cash discount that comes with the card, and to use the Avios / miles for upgrading rather than redeeming for award flights - which are not "free" and which are not represented to be "free".

How many miles are needed for a BA upgrade? I've tried to find this info on their website but am having no luck... and I imagine I have to purchase a specific type of class eligible for an upgrade when purchasing the coach ticket?

This is all new to me, and I only want to go the upgrade route if I am sure to end up in Business (or better).

Also, if anyone has a fantastic travel agent to help navigate this, please share! (is that allowed?)

How many miles are needed for a BA upgrade? I've tried to find this info on their website but am having no luck... and I imagine I have to purchase a specific type of class eligible for an upgrade when purchasing the coach ticket?

This is all new to me, and I only want to go the upgrade route if I am sure to end up in Business (or better).

Also, if anyone has a fantastic travel agent to help navigate this, please share! (is that allowed?)

You don't need a TA for this.

You can only upgrade on BA one class of travel so you'll want to book World Traveller Plus and use Avios to upgrade. It'll be 20,000 Avios per person each way, plus an added supplement of around $150 for the increased fuel surcharge in Club World.

Additionally availability is pretty tough to find on the WT+ to CW because it's one of the best value upgrades. You'll need to wait from your credit card bonus to post before being able to upgrade and you can almost guarantee that'll vanish in the time between you booking and flying. You're therefore looking at a pricey cash upgrade (I've seen WT+ to CW upgrades of $10,000!), or hoping new availability is released.

If you're happy with paying Club World fares do as I suggest and buy the cheap business class tickets from the outset and then use the Avios from the credit card to upgrade to First. I find them quite easy to come by as not so many people are looking to upgrade from CW.

We are not allowed to name or discuss travel agents on Cruise Critic.

I agree, you don't need a travel agent. I would call the airline direct.

We are not allowed to name or discuss travel agents on Cruise Critic.

Really? I don't use any forums on here other than the Cruise Air but I see reference to Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, et. al. all over here...

Are you sure they are "BA fees", or airport and government required fees that BA must collect on every seat (award or not)sold? Some of the European airports are known for very high fees. On your ticket, doesn't it list and define these fees? If it says "baggage fee" then I guess BA is getting you. If it says "Airport Fee", it is not a BA fee.

In other words. I would be careful bashing BA. Those extra costs may be charged on any airline- or at least any European airline, going the same route.

Good point and I don't know the answer. My only experience (and that of my TA who uses AA/BA exclusively) is that using BA coded flights cost a lot more than using AA coded flights.

It's largely a BA "carrier imposed charge", what used to be the fuel surcharge. DoT require that US carriers reflect this in the base fare so you don't see it on award tickets.

The UK does have some pretty expensive taxes relative to other parts of the world. Air Passenger Duty on premium cabins is a three figure sum in GBP.

Really? I don't use any forums on here other than the Cruise Air but I see reference to Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, et. al. all over here...

We are not allowed to discuss cruise travel agents; discussions of travel agents used for other bookings (air, hotels, etc.) are allowed.

The UK does have some pretty expensive taxes relative to other parts of the world. Air Passenger Duty on premium cabins is a three figure sum in GBP.

Tell me about it - last January it was actually cheaper for me to take the Eurostar to Brussels and fly out of there on an Aeroplan redemption than fly out of LHR - by at least $200/person.

To address the OP: the best sales on business class to Europe that I have seen have usually been no lower than around $2000/person, so I think you've found a pretty good price there.

Right now there are fares for around $2300/rt which I think is a good price? (Honestly I have no idea) Is it crazy to book flights this far out? When would you recommend purchasing?
If that fare is good for your return trip dates (which are on the outside of the current booking window) I'd probably go for it. Business class fares from the east coast to Europe are seldom under $2000, so while there's a chance you might get business class for less, I'd give better odds that the price would go up instead.

Often business class in the summer is much cheaper than at other times of the year, owing to the lack of actual business flyers during the summer holiday seasons.

What airline are you seeing for that price, and how are seeing it?

As for the extra charges on British Airways award flights, there are usually two culprits -

1) UK air passenger duty, a high departure tax charged for flights departing the UK. This is waived if you're just changing planes in Britain (less than 24h connection). APD is very high for premium cabin flights.

2) British Airways fees. These used to be called "fuel surcharges" until BA got sued in federal court; now they're just "operator imposed fees" but still can cost hundreds of dollars on top of the mileage "price" for the tickets.

A good place to lurk to find out about affordable business/first class fares is the "premium fare deals" board on Flyertalk - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/

We want to book business class air from Boston to Barcelona. Right now there are fares for around $2300/rt which I think is a good price? (Honestly I have no idea) Is it crazy to book flights this far out? When would you recommend purchasing?

If I saw $2300 for TATL biz class in May I'd book it in a skinny minute.

Agreed. That's more like a premium economy fare for the summer season.

On quick search, I could see some trips at that price level which are sold by AA. Itineraries include the possibility of flying on the ex-US Airways A330, which I understand to offer a good seat.

Thanks all. I do plan to purchase soon. I'm seeing flights for $2300/rt on Lufthansa, Alitalia, SWISS and Delta/KLM. (And $2100 on Aer Lingus, but I believe their bus class is less superior.) This is through a search on kayak and matrix.

I'm doing research on each plane, but thus far it looks like Alitalia and SWISS offer flat beds and the others are angled flat. And between them SWISS looks to be the better service/fleet, does that sound right? Any other feedback between these airlines?

You are all so helpful, thank you.

I'm doing research on each plane, but thus far it looks like Alitalia and SWISS offer flat beds and the others are angled flat. And between them SWISS looks to be the better service/fleet, does that sound right?
Others will have better ideas about comparisons, but the SWISS seat is supposed to be pretty good too.

A couple of notes of caution: make sure that you know which airline and aircraft will be operating the flight you're booking. Because of codeshare arrangements, it will not always be the airline selling you the ticket, or the airline whose flight number is being sold. Also, not all aircraft of any one airline will necessarily have the same seats. You don't want accidentally to buy from an airline because you like the seat you saw, only to find that that seat is not actually on the aircraft that's scheduled to operate your flights.

Also note that the connecting flights within Europe (ZRH-BCN, MUC-BCN etc.) will be on planes where "business class" is basically a coach seat, in 3-3 configuration but where the middle seat isn't sold. Connecting in the US (for example BOS-xPHL-BCN on US/AA) will have you in a first class seat on the domestic legs (BOS-PHL) and a lie-flat over the pond.

I flew Alitalia this past April/May JFK-FCO and back in their Business section, called Magnifica. One way, I had the 777, the other way, the 330. Best business flights I've had in a long time. Yes, flat bed seats. By far, the best food and drink I've had. If I was going TATL again and doing Business class, I wouldn't hesitate to do Alitalia again.

PS - I have only done TATL and Europe-Africa; haven't done TPAC.

I flew Alitalia this past April/May JFK-FCO and back in their Business section, called Magnifica. One way, I had the 777, the other way, the 330. Best business flights I've had in a long time. Yes, flat bed seats. By far, the best food and drink I've had. If I was going TATL again and doing Business class, I wouldn't hesitate to do Alitalia again.

PS - I have only done TATL and Europe-Africa; haven't done TPAC.

This is so helpful! Thank you! I think we will go with Alitalia.

Thanks all. I do plan to purchase soon. I'm seeing flights for $2300/rt on Lufthansa, Alitalia, SWISS and Delta/KLM.

I'm doing research on each plane, but thus far it looks like Alitalia and SWISS offer flat beds and the others are angled flat.

Soon? Seriously I would jump on that NOW before the price goes up.

As for seats, it depends on the aircraft, and often there are multiple versions of the same aircraft, not to mention the issue with codeshare flights that someone else mentioned. Ex. whatever you are looking at is apt to be flown by Delta OR Klm, not both, but will likely be marketed by both, so make sure you are looking at the seating for the airline that will actually be operating any flight you're considering. And despite what you're reading, Delta does have lie flat seating, though it may not be on all of their TATL aircraft. I was in a DL lie flat last Oct heading to Rome.

Thanks! Just booked Alitalia for $2330 pp, rt in Business class. Woo hoo! Thanks everyone!

Good job! Now, remember to get on that flight hungry. I honestly swear that the food was the best. It was plated at my seat - so many choices. I had a very good fish entree on both flights - who would have thought - and the pasta was perfectly done in large serving dishes and scooped out at my seat. The amenity kit handed out was pretty cool - a different one for men/women. The women's looked like a nice wrist purse, filled with Ferragamo Tuscan Soul products. My old hotel had these products, so it was nice to see them again. Frette linens on the pillow and duvet - made for a very nice nap both directions.

Are you flying solo or with someone? It makes a big difference on which seats to choose. If you want to be together with someone, pick the "E-G" sets, also known as the "Honeymoon" seats. These are angled toward each other, with a moveable divider between them. If you are solo, take the "A" or "L" seat - they are right next to the window, giving more of a private feel.

AND, you get to use the Alitalia lounge at the airports and the Delta Sky Club if you have connections in the US. Enjoy!

If you didn't book directly with Alitalia, you may not have been able to pick seats. You need to call the Alitalia phone line and get this done. Painful, but it saves the instance of getting the seats assigned for you and not liking them.