Chef's Table, when do you reserve your reservation and how?

Npants

Hello, I've tried to search this out here and I do not see anything on "my princess" site either and I'm coming up short with info.

We are on the Ruby in just over a week and I am interested in Chef's Table. This is my first cruise so I'm not all that savvy with how this all works. Do we need to book it now or do you have to wait until you board? I'm guessing there is limited seats for this? Could it be filled already?

I am aware it is at "Share". I'm OK with Curtis Stone :), I'm a food network junkie so it's kind of cool to see his restaurant here. I am more interested in information on how to book it and what is included besides the actual food.

Is there a way to contact Princess to ask questions directly about dining? I also have to see if the menu could be modified to gluten free and still be worth it. I have it set up that I am gluten free…but would still like details for the specialty dining options. If they tell me I'll get standard dining room gluten free options in the specialty restaurants than it may not be worth it for my foodie experience :D.

Has anyone recently experienced Chef's Table on the Ruby in the last month or two they would like to share…pun intended ;) ?

Thank you!

Nancy

You can not pre-book any specialty restaurant on the Ruby Princess or any other Princess ship. You book when on board.

Chef's table - Sign up as soon as you board. Visit the open DR, noon to 1:30 on boarding day or Passenger Service to sign up.

Share - Call the DINE line to book once on board, or visit the restaurant on the Sun deck aft.

Share & the Chef's Table are different dining experiences with a large difference in cost. The Chef's Table is in the $100/pp range, Share is $39/pp.

Edited by sknight

You can not pre-book any specialty restaurant on the Ruby Princess or any other Princess ship. You book when on board.

Chef's table - Sign up as soon as you board. Visit the open DR, noon to 1:30 on boarding day or Passenger Service to sign up.

Share - Call the DINE line to book once on board, or visit the restaurant on the Sun deck aft.

Share & the Chef's Table are different dining experiences with a large difference in cost. The Chef's Table is in the $100/pp range, Share is $39/pp.

Perfect! Thank you so much :)

We just got off the ruby and the chefs table was held in the main dinning room. Sign up as soon as you get on board. They usually want at least 8 people or they won't have it. We only had 6 a few cruises ago and they cancelled it. If they have a lot of sign ups they may have 2 depending on cruise length. To many and they will inform you if you made the cut. Not sure how they figure out who gets in and who doesn't. We have always been chosen when they have it.

I would not bother with the Chef's table if you must eat gluten free. They will have gluten in several of their dishes for sure. They are not friendly toward special diets. In fact, they will interview you beforehand and ask if you have food allergies or any other restrictions. If you answer yes, they won't pick you for the Chef's table. We had a friend who got cut due to lobster allergy. He was able to argue his way back in but they still served him lobster. He gave it to his wife.

The earlier you can board increases your chances. As soon as you get to your cabin, hopefully by noon-ish, call the DINE line on the phone. The maximum number of diners is 12. As been posted, if you have a food allergy, you probably won't make the cut.

I am inclined to agree with the above posters who are discouraging you because of your gluten issue.

As an alternative, might I suggest the Ultimate Balcony Dinner? (If you are not booked into a cabin with a balcony this may not be an option.) In our experience with the UBD, we, pretty much, went with the standard offerings. However, in reading the experience of others here on CC, though, I have seen several reports where the menu has been modified to accommodate special requests.

We have done the UBD twice and the Chef's Table once. I have to say, I think the UBD is the superior experience. You don't get to pick your table mates with the Chef's Table, and that turned out to be unfortunate for us.

Also, regardless of the name, you do not have to dine on your balcony if the weather is inclement. The table they bring fits very nicely in the space next to the sliding door. We've done this both times. We just left the slider open and were able to enjoy the sounds and the fresh sea air inside our comfortable cabin.

You can book the UBD when you arrive at your cabin on embarkation day. However, you can also book prior to departure by calling Princess. For reasons that escape me, you cannot book on-line. The Room Service Manager will contact you on embarkation day to arrange details--date and time, menu.

Enjoy your cruise and please come back here and tell us how it went.

Wow! Thank you all for the added information. I may just pass on the chefs table and look into the balcony option. I'm a big fan of shell fish so that might be a fun food option as well.

• 1 month later...
Is the Chef's Table worth the charge? No special diet here but we are looking for a new experience-just not wanting to be disappointed.

2 Yanks

Obviously the answer to your question is very subjective but we have enjoyed our 4 Chef's Table experiences when it was $75. We haven't gone since the price increased to $95 ($115 for the CT Lumiere table surrounded by a ring of lights on Royal-class ships) but plan to go again on a special celebration cruise next year.

I would highly recommend going to the CT at least one time.

Edited by Astro Flyer

How much is the Ultimate Balcony Dinner ? We're on the Emerald in a couple of weeks. Also, is time of the essence in booking it? Thanks in advance .

$50 pp.

To a certain extent time is of the essence. They only do a limited number of UBDs per night (2?). The last time I did it, I booked it prior to embarkation by calling the Princess 800 number. On embarkation day the Room Service Manager called me and came to our room to work out details--menu details, date, time. If you don't pre-book, call the DINE line as soon as you arrive at your cabin. I assume the earlier you call, the better your chance of getting the date/time you desire.

If you enjoy good food, at $95 (includes wine pairing) per person it is absolutely worth it. The Chef's Table is a food and dining experience. The table is beautifully set, the dishes are delicious, presentation is excellent, the chef introduces each dish and explains its composition. I would not recommend it for picky eaters.

Note: the cost is higher on the Royal and Regal.

We just got off the ruby and the chefs table was held in the main dinning room. Sign up as soon as you get on board. They usually want at least 8 people or they won't have it. We only had 6 a few cruises ago and they cancelled it. If they have a lot of sign ups they may have 2 depending on cruise length. To many and they will inform you if you made the cut. Not sure how they figure out who gets in and who doesn't. We have always been chosen when they have it.

Lucky you. We failed to make the cut two T/A's in a row (Ruby Princess 2009/2011). My guess is since the first half of the b2b was so port intensive , the CT's that occurred on the T/A portion were arranged and most if not all spots were taken by cruisers on the first cruise.

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

I doubt if they allow infants at the Chef's Table. I would hope not. We did have a young man join us once. They do give a discount if you don't drink alcohol.

We haven't been to a Chef's Table since they raised the price. It's still a good value for a treat if you haven't done it before. You get a copy of the cookbook as well. Since we're both guys, we've received two cookbooks each time we did the Chef's Table. Apparently they only give one cookbook to mixed-sex couples, or at least that was what I observed. The ladies received a rose, and the gentlemen receive the cookbook. The exception was when I was at the Chef's Table with a lesbian couple. Each of them received a rose and a cookbook.

My favorite part of the Chef's Table is the hors d'ouevres served in the galley.

If we have a special occasion to celebrate, we'll do the Ultimate Balcony Dinner again. How they do it depends on the ship. On some ships, we've met in person with someone to go over the menu. On others, we've done it by phone. Some have been more receptive to special menu requests than others. I've always paid in advance by calling Princess and then called the first afternoon on board to make sure we can get the date we want. The last time we did the UBD, it was the last night of our cruise (to coincide with DH's birthday). We won't do that again. We'll celebrate whatever the special occasion is early.