Dress code

Peter2832

Will be cruising with Oceania in September 2015. Regarding dress code in restaurants and evenings I appreciate this is country club casual I wear dress trousers but would normally wear casual shirts that are not tucked. My question is is is ok to wear shirts that aren't tucked in tend to be of the flowery type.

Are you talking about vintage Hawaiian shirts? Those are NEVER worn tucked in, so I think you would be fine. The main advice I would give you on wearing something like that is to consider where you are sailing. For example, the Caribbean or Pacific would be a great place to wear such a shirt, but not so much in Alaska -where it would look goofy - or the Med where it will earmark you as an American tourist (whether you are one or not.) If you're over 30 and these are shirts you only pull out when going on vacation, it might be time to update your travel wardrobe.

Here is the definition

COUNTRY CLUB ATTIRE: Appropriate attire for men includes business slacks and collared shirts. Hawaiian type of shirts are not required to be tucked-in, though golf shirts must remain tucked-in at all times or have a fitted waist band. Examples of acceptable attire for women include business slacks, dress Capris, skirts and dress shorts with a minimum 5” inseam that rise no more than 5” inches above the knee; tops can be tailored shirts, blouses, high-quality T-shirts and sweaters. Men should remove ball caps, hats and visors when seated inside the clubhouse. Children’s attire should reflect the same recommendations. Denim is not considered appropriate Country Club Attire for adults or children.

Are you talking about vintage Hawaiian shirts? Those are NEVER worn tucked in, so I think you would be fine. The main advice I would give you on wearing something like that is to consider where you are sailing. For example, the Caribbean or Pacific would be a great place to wear such a shirt, but not so much in Alaska -where it would look goofy - or the Med where it will earmark you as an American tourist (whether you are one or not.) If you're over 30 and these are shirts you only pull out when going on vacation, it might be time to update your travel wardrobe.

Here is the definition

COUNTRY CLUB ATTIRE: Appropriate attire for men includes business slacks and collared shirts. Hawaiian type of shirts are not required to be tucked-in, though golf shirts must remain tucked-in at all times or have a fitted waist band. Examples of acceptable attire for women include business slacks, dress Capris, skirts and dress shorts with a minimum 5” inseam that rise no more than 5” inches above the knee; tops can be tailored shirts, blouses, high-quality T-shirts and sweaters. Men should remove ball caps, hats and visors when seated inside the clubhouse. Children’s attire should reflect the same recommendations. Denim is not considered appropriate Country Club Attire for adults or children.

I would add: If the Aloha shirt you have in mind is not something like a Reyn Spooner (either vintage or newer) or even a Tommy Bahama, I'd leave it home -especially if it's the Hilo Hattie variety.

Peter, I notice you are from Scotland. Another thing you could wear would be a kilt. My BFF wears one from time to time. He looks a lot like Sean Connery and has the whole "James Bond" thing working for him. He never lacks for female dinner companions on cruises!

My husband does not tuck in his polo shirts on Oceania ships nor anywhere else. You will be fine. You will get appropriate answers on the Oceania board instead of general statements by people who have never been on those ships.

Edited by Floridiana

I would add: If the Aloha shirt you have in mind is not something like a Reyn Spooner (either vintage or newer) or even a Tommy Bahama, I'd leave it home -especially if it's the Hilo Hattie variety.

We're looking at Oceania for the Med and are perhaps making a mistake. Are you seriously saying that ones attire must be of a certain "status" label and/or price point? Why? Not everybody is preoccupied with impressing strangers. Personally, I know I look very nice in what I wear and don't give a rat's butt if others would be disdainful of where I got them, but hey - I don't want to ruin anybody else's cruise...:rolleyes:

We're looking at Oceania for the Med and are perhaps making a mistake. Are you seriously saying that ones attire must be of a certain "status" label and/or price point? Why? Not everybody is preoccupied with impressing strangers. Personally, I know I look very nice in what I wear and don't give a rat's butt if others would be disdainful of where I got them, but hey - I don't want to ruin anybody else's cruise...:rolleyes:

Now I'm completely confused. Flatbush Flyer was telling Peter how to get the vintage Aloha look at a reasonable price.

:confused:

We're looking at Oceania for the Med and are perhaps making a mistake. Are you seriously saying that ones attire must be of a certain "status" label and/or price point?

Of course not. I have no clue what the other passengers were wearing. I just know that we all looked exactly like the elegant and slim models in the brochure -not! ;) Oceania is my favorite line.

You will be fine

we do not wear designer named clothing the only clothing I have with logo's are Oceania shirts ;)

Oceania is our line of choice

Oceania forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

Edited by LHT28

Now I'm completely confused. Flatbush Flyer was telling Peter how to get the vintage Aloha look at a reasonable price.

:confused:

Absolutely. The suggestion was made that a vintage Aloha shirt (considered by some to be "wearable art") was a good idea. However, the cost might break the bank if you tried to acquire one. (And Reyn Spooner was one of the early entries in that fashion design). That brand still exists with both classic and new designs and they are an affordable option. They also have an artists' series at a higher price point. tommy Bahamablnll

My comment about Hilo Hattie is just to point out that, quite honestly, the shirts from that souvenir shop are poorly made and consist of generally substandard materials that would have the wearer sticking out like a sore thumb.

This is certainly not about money. Some of the nicest Aloha shirts I have ever seen were sewn at home.

I don't think anyone who wears Country Club Casual clothing cares at all about designer labels. Most people just pick the brand that fits them best. You can get this look anywhere from a thrift store to Walmart to an upscale department store or even at your country club, but the pieces are pretty much the same across all lines:

windbreaker

trousers

polo shirt

high quality T-shirt with nothing printed on it in a bright color (ladies only as men always wear a shirt with a collar)

zipper vest

cardigan sweater

golf skort

Bermuda shorts

sweater vest

cable knit pullover sweater

Aloha shirt

plain or striped knit sundress

sports jacket

flat supportive shoes with a rubber sole

Once in a while you'll see plaid trousers, knickerbockers or even a kilt worn with a polo.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

I don't think anyone who wears Country Club Casual clothing cares at all about designer labels. Most people just pick the brand that fits them best. You can get this look anywhere from a thrift store to Walmart to an upscale department store or even at your country club, but the pieces are pretty much the same across all lines:

windbreaker

trousers

polo shirt

high quality T-shirt with nothing printed on it in a bright color (ladies only as men always wear a shirt with a collar)

zipper vest

cardigan sweater

golf skort

Bermuda shorts

sweater vest

cable knit pullover sweater

Aloha shirt

plain or striped knit sundress

sports jacket

flat supportive shoes with a rubber sole

Once in a while you'll see plaid trousers, knickerbockers or even a kilt worn with a polo.

You forget:

Ascot

Cardigan draped over shoulders

Monogramed shirts

Riding boots

Driving gloves

Dress shoes without socks

White pants

Suspenders

Cuff links

Monocle

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Absolutely. The suggestion was made that a vintage Aloha shirt (considered by some to be "wearable art") was a good idea. However, the cost might break the bank if you tried to acquire one. (And Reyn Spooner was one of the early entries in that fashion design). That brand still exists with both classic and new designs and they are an affordable option. They also have an artists' series at a higher price point. tommy Bahamablnll

My comment about Hilo Hattie is just to point out that, quite honestly, the shirts from that souvenir shop are poorly made and consist of generally substandard materials that would have the wearer sticking out like a sore thumb.

This is certainly not about money. Some of the nicest Aloha shirts I have ever seen were sewn at home.

Sticking out from what?? Perhaps you observe things far more closely than most others do.

Edited by ronandannette

For example, the Caribbean or Pacific would be a great place to wear such a shirt, but not so much in Alaska -where it would look goofy - or the Med where it will earmark you as an American tourist (whether you are one or not.)

So if you see four identical photos of an identically dressed man taken in ship's restaurants, one in each of the Caribbean, Pacific, Alaska and the Med, you would be able to tell which was taken where by the shirt looking goofy in some photos and not in others? :D

So if you see four identical photos of an identically dressed man taken in ship's restaurants, one in each of the Caribbean, Pacific, Alaska and the Med, you would be able to tell which was taken where by the shirt looking goofy in some photos and not in others? :D

No - but I could tell you who's wearing cheap clothing.

Thanks. I wasn't trying to be offensive but it really seemed like Flatbush was implying an expectation that's beyond my Hilo Hattie-wearing self to meet! (Please tell me socks and underwear from Sears are OK..)

Please tell me you are not planning to wear socks with your loafers.

Brand (and even wearing) of underwear is totally discretionary.