Labadee vs Coco Cay - which is better IYO

If you've been to both islands which do you favor and why. We are a family of 4 DH, myself, DD14 and DD9. Have only taken 2 cruises 1 RCL Monarch of the Seas 10 years ago and this past Oct DCL Dream with our girls.

We enjoyed both cruises but LOVED Castaway Cay. it was like a day in paradise. We are looking at 2 itineraries in Oct 2016 with extended family (multiple families, spanning generations)... There will be a variety interest levels, etc. So I'm just curious, if you've been to both, which do you favor and why?

I like them both, but the quick answer is I definitely prefer Labadee.

Labadee has the lush green mountains and gorgeous waters that you picture when you think about the Caribbean. It is just a fantastic beach day-- gorgeous!

CocoCay has prettier sand, but theres a good chance of missing CocoCay if it is windy and the terrain isn't as pretty as Labadee. Coco is like the rest of the Bahamas, flat and a little arid looking. The water and sand are gorgeous on a sunny day, but overall, Labadee wins in my book.

The good thing about CocoCay is that it is close to Florida, so it is easy to get there on a three night cruise without taking much vacation time!

I like the island and barefoot beach at Cococay better. However, as others have said, Labadee offers more activities and you dock. In Cococay you tender, so it can take a while to get off the ship. The wait for the tender when you return to the ship can be hard with kids, especially when you have to wait in the hot sun.

Just came back from Coco Cay last week and had been there previously and went to Labadee on my last cruise! I think I like them both equally. I like to jet ski so I was able to do that at both locations so I was happy. I give a slight edge to Labadee because we really enjoyed the day we spent in our hillside cabana. It was so realxing and we just chilled for the entire day being waited on by an attendant and having the upgraded lunch made it an even greater day! :cool:

having been to both several times ..... I prefer Coco

Coco has much better snorkeling IMO ... and a scuba dive too (not a great dive tho)

LAB has more ways to take your money: the zip line and the coaster and the water slide and the MUCH LARGER 'native market'

Labadee is in Haiti and Coco is in the Bahamas. Cruises that stop in Coco do so cuz they can't "make it" to Labadee - usually .....

A 3 or 4 day from Canaveral stops at Coco because they can't make LAB' in the time available. Ditto some cruises that come down from up north.

OTOH a cruise from Miami/Everglades heading to southern ports is NOT going to head north to Coco . . .

SO in many ways your question is moot ... different itinerary go to each . . . IMO pick your departure port and length of cruise is the question .... not LAB vs COCO ... if you are picking your cruise by COCO vs LAB you have different criteria then I

last time I was on LAB they ran out of food and there were a bunch of angry people hanging around the food stands .... REALLY ..... a few left over limp hot dogs and fruit scraps and "no more coming" despite people still in line. YES one could head back to the ship and get food, but no more comin' to the beach

Edited by Capt_BJ

I like CocoCay MUCH better. There are Hobies to rent there (none in Labadee). The beach is much nicer at CocoCay. Labadee is rocky, and lately, very polluted with lots of trash and the water is murky. At CocoCay, cabana users get an upgraded lunch. No upgrade at Labadee unless you are in a suite (and I'm not sure they still have that). It's not even close.

If you've been to both islands which do you favor and why. We are a family of 4 DH, myself, DD14 and DD9. Have only taken 2 cruises 1 RCL Monarch of the Seas 10 years ago and this past Oct DCL Dream with our girls.

We enjoyed both cruises but LOVED Castaway Cay. it was like a day in paradise. We are looking at 2 itineraries in Oct 2016 with extended family (multiple families, spanning generations)... There will be a variety interest levels, etc. So I'm just curious, if you've been to both, which do you favor and why?

Labadee will always have enough water to swim.:D

At low tide, Coco Cay's beach's get very shallow.:eek:

Labadee is bigger (has more to offer), and you dock, (no tenders).:)

Coco Cay's beach had a lot of ants the last time too.

Edited by American Bear