Aft balcony and sea sickness

traveltime3400

We are booking a round trip from Seattle on NCL for next summer. As many of you know, it doesn't take the inside passage for two of the sailing days. We have never been on a cruise before, but my daughter and I get pretty uncomfortable on smaller boats (ex. whale watching and snorkeling).

I've read a ton of threads about the nice aspects of the aft balcony.....but trying to decide if mid-ship might be better just in case? I would love some advice on this.

Thank you!!

I don't know about the aft balcony, but when I went on our Caribbean cruise, we had an interior room mid ship and I got really sick.

One of the reasons we are sailing out of Vancouver is to avoid the open ocean as much as possible.

I have been to Alaska twice and Canada/New England all if aft cabins. Only once did I even feel queasy (that was an Alaska cruise where the waves were so high that they had to cover the indoor pool). Generic meclizine from a drug store cleared it up. I would never give up aft cabins for anything.

But how one person responds does not determine how you will respond. These large ships are much more stable than smaller boats. Rather than worry about it, get a mid ship, lower level cabin and talk to your doctor about taking meclizine with you or ask about a scopolamine patch.

We have cruised many times (over 40 cruises). The ONLY time I have been seasick was when we sailed in aft cabins. If it was me I would go for a midship cabin. Whatever you choose, have a wonderful trip. Alaska is beautiful!

We sailed the Ruby Princess this spring from Vancouver to Ketchikan to Seattle. The northbound leg was rockier than we've seen before on three other cruises, probably due to the 35 knot winds perpendicular to the ship. The southbound leg was almost as rocky, with winds around 25 knots. Regardless, we had an aft suite, and we truly enjoyed relaxing on the balcony. Minimal concern from the rocking of the ship, very peaceful, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Alas, my wife prefers forward cabins for proximity to activities and such, so our next cruise we're in D305 on the Ruby, right by the forward elevators.

Love those aft cabins....we are going on the Ruby on Aug 16th in an aft cabin. this will be our 3rd time. We used to only sail a mini suite and now we are hooked on the aft cabins..

Have never had any issues with being sea sick in an aft......one time in a mid ship mini suite, we had 30 ft waves and did get a bit queasy (sp).

Enjoy your cruise.

eclue:rolleyes:

We have sailed to Alaska 5 times on the bow or the fantail. We have never been bothered by ship motion. However, on one occasion, during heavy seas, the horizon was probably 10 degrees to horizontal. This was somewhat disconcerting. I could see how that could bother some people.

You already have a history with possible motion sickness. A mid cabin would offer less motion- but you are still on water, and you have chosen the roughest Alaska itinerary.

Necessary- in my opinion, is for you to consult your health care professional and get their advice on precautions. AND have them in place before you leave.

If you are truly worried about seasickness, I would chose a cabin mid-ship. We have had cabins all over the ships and have not had a problem, but we aren't prone to seasickness. You can definitely feel the motion of the ocean more either fwd or aft than you do mid-ship.

We had an aft on a Caribbean cruise and I was fine - but I wore the patch. I did have some issues with the patch, so I am opting for midship this Alaska cruise and taking meclizine and ginger pills. Crossing my fingers!

Enjoy your cruise!

If you are truly worried about seasickness' date=' I would chose a cabin mid-ship. We have had cabins all over the ships and have not had a problem, but we aren't prone to seasickness. You can definitely feel the motion of the ocean more either fwd or aft than you do mid-ship.[/quote']..... and also the motion is felt more on higher decks than on lower decks.

Some people are just more prone to seasickness than others.

The standard advice for people prone to seasickness is to book a cabin that is low and midship.

Many cruise ships give out meclizine to their passengers free of charge upon request, but as others have wisely advised, consult a professional who knows your medical history before taking any type of medicinal seasickness preventative.

While there are some passengers who can use the scopolamine patch with no problem, many experience very bad side effects from it.

Edited by varoo

I am in an aft balcony in alaska as I type this. Yes I can feel the motion of the boat. One drammamine is sufficient for prevention of motion sickness. I can actually feel the motion of the boat in every place I have been throughout the ship all week.

ETA we are northbound from Vancouver so not as rough as Seattle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by PinkDiamondGirl

I have never had an aft cabin. But I call myself the "Queen of Seasickness" which kept me from taking cruises until I finally decided I had to stop holding back on my life. I went to the doctor and received a script for the scopalomine patch (but guess what three days into the cruise I found out I was allergic to it). Stopped using and I was fine. There are tips for not getting sick (similar to riding in a car) as noted below. Low mid ship cabins, don't look down into the ocean while the ship is sailing. We are heading to Alaska next year and I will be consulting the Doctor again and trying the wrist bands. Good luck and enjoy.

Best ride is always midships low. Want even more stability? Choose a stateroom that is low, midships and away from either side of the ship (better known as an inside cabin ;)).

Many of the 'high rollers' on QE2 that bought penthouse suites (those suites were high and forward) also bought an inside low cabin for the rough weather one can sometime "enjoy" doing a world cruise. Walking around in one of those beautiful suites was very difficult in a storm ;).

Think of a teeter-totter. You go up and down on the ends and hardly move if seated in the center (fulcrum). Propensity to motion sickness? Book midships and avoid difficult to digest rich foods if rough water is forecast.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't know about the aft balcony, but when I went on our Caribbean cruise, we had an interior room mid ship and I got really sick.

One of the reasons we are sailing out of Vancouver is to avoid the open ocean as much as possible.

Day two does have some open ocean when you get up in the morning I got sick in 2014 so this past spring I took dramamine as soon as I felt queazy. It made me drowsy but worked well. Coming back we travelled through the open waters at night so I was asleep and didn't need it both years.

Many say that an inside makes sea sickness worse.

We are booking a round trip from Seattle on NCL for next summer. As many of you know, it doesn't take the inside passage for two of the sailing days. We have never been on a cruise before, but my daughter and I get pretty uncomfortable on smaller boats (ex. whale watching and snorkeling).

I've read a ton of threads about the nice aspects of the aft balcony.....but trying to decide if mid-ship might be better just in case? I would love some advice on this.

Thank you!!

Mid ship wins hands down.

DW has a condition that makes her susceptible to the movement, a few hours fire or aft will start to trigger it.

Midship wins ever time for her.

Does anyone, KNOW, that claiming you are "taking Dramamine" means nothing? That is a trade name- that 'covers" several , VERY DIFFERENT products? Dimenhydrinate, is one, Meclizine HCI is another. They are NOT the same. Plus the fact, they can be purchased for a fraction of the cost- generic.

Another reason, I will always state, health care advice should only be obtained from professionals.

If you are concerned bout the seas than I would select a room as mid ship as you can and the lower the deck the better.

While being aft will be less rocky than being all the way forward, you will still feel the seas more from this location than mid ship.

Keith

Does anyone, KNOW, that claiming you are "taking Dramamine" means nothing? That is a trade name- that 'covers" several , VERY DIFFERENT products? Dimenhydrinate, is one, Meclizine HCI is another. They are NOT the same. Plus the fact, they can be purchased for a fraction of the cost- generic.

Another reason, I will always state, health care advice should only be obtained from professionals.

Now, now Budget Queen. I am certainly not recommending a product. Simply stating the brand that worked for me. No need to nit pick.