Cruise line with glacier bay and kids

TestingH2O

We are beginning to talk seriously about Alaska. As we start planning, we have the following priorities.

1. I want Glacier Bay. That limits our choice of lines.

2. We will do a round trip for ease and because we have family in Seattle and want to see Vancouver. We will probably do one city before and one after depending on our port/airport choice.

3. DD will be 5 or 6 when we cruise and while we don't plan on being as ship centered as we are on Disney in the Caribbean, I'd still like her to have some fun options.

4? HAL allows smoking on balconies, right? I think that would eliminate them for us.

So I guess I'm asking for insight from any previous cruisers in similar situations especially with regards to which line might be our best fit.

Check out NCL- they have round trips from Seattle that include Glacier Bay- they are really kid friendly with lots of programming, and their "freestyle" dining is excellent both for the port intensive AK stuff, and with kids- you just arrive at any of the eating places any time (can vary each night) like you would a restaurant and ask for a table for however many you are.... no set dining times, or subjecting others to your kids (at least that was my thought with MY kids!).

I have never been on NCL but do think Princess is a good overall cruise line.

They are going to do more enrichment programs compared to NCL and will have a naturalist on the ship all week which (if good), does add to the experience.

Yes, HAL does allow smoking on balconies.

All the cruiselines have kids programs. Do not expect the numbers of activities or kids compared to the Caribbean however. :)

Your Glacier Bay, round trip list is small. I would suggest you compare port times, and if any differences in ports? Problems with "smoking", are going to be on every cruise, if you are looking for 100%. It is a hard restriction to enforce and plenty of people seem to think rules don't apply to them. :) You will find these complaints occasionally, unfortunately.

Price could also be a big difference. Sometimes, NCL and HAL have the free 3/4th cruisers in the same cabin. (my sister, just took advantage)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll get busy on those review links.

I'm not as worried about extensive kid activities since I assume we will spend lots of time off the ship, but I want to be sure I'm not signing up for something where most dining options are adult only etc. I get to feeling I might be worrying too much about ships not being kid friendly. My comparison is Disney, but I'm not willing to pay their premium for the Tracy Arm itinerary.

Next week I board Carnival's Legend-it starts in Seattle, and ends in Vancouver-it goes to Glacier Bay, as well as Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway-it will have a naturalist on board, at least for Glacier Bay. Carnival does have programs for kids. What I mentioned, meets the O.P.'s criteria.(Not to sound like a "Carnival cheerleader", but for me, they have a fair product at a fair price.) Whatever line on goes on, Happy cruising! :cool:

Next week I board Carnival's Legend-it starts in Seattle, and ends in Vancouver-it goes to Glacier Bay, as well as Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway-it will have a naturalist on board, at least for Glacier Bay. Carnival does have programs for kids. What I mentioned, meets the O.P.'s criteria.(Not to sound like a "Carnival cheerleader", but for me, they have a fair product at a fair price.) Whatever line on goes on, Happy cruising! :cool:

Since it appears you don't know for sure- Carnival always has a full time naturalist on board. Glacier Bay is NOT done by the Carnival Naturalist. ALL ships entering pick up and bring on Park Service rangers and Alaska Geographic experts.

We've always found Princess to offer a good balance, and for Alaska they have one of the most extensive selections. Will be surprised if you don't find Glacier Bay and a date with cabins that don't work for you.

Since it appears you don't know for sure- Carnival always has a full time naturalist on board. Glacier Bay is NOT done by the Carnival Naturalist. ALL ships entering pick up and bring on Park Service rangers and Alaska Geographic experts.

Thanks for the clarification-you are always most knowledgeable, and most helpful-in a matter-of-fact way, as well as being nonjudgmental. Very much appreciated! :) (I read lots of your posts-here and there! :D)

I will also give a vote to the Pearl. We did this cruise in 2012 and loved every minute of it.

Depending on when you go, you can opt to take a small boat tour of Tracy Arm in Juneau. It will take your entire port time there, but IMHO it was well worth it but we had also been to Juneau twice before and had seen Mendenhall Glacier and done whale watching.