Panama Canal Cruises

Cras108er

We're looking to do a Panama Canal cruise in March. Any tips from experienced cruisers?

I see HAL and Princess cruises listed. Our one experience with HAL was an Alaska cruise, and in terms of "experience" it was our least favorite (of course the destination was awesome). Just a little too sedate for us. Was that just because it was an Alaska cruise, or should we expect the same thing for PC? We got the impression that HAL tends to have a significantly older clientele than other lines. Recommendations?

Suggestions about doing a full or partial? We're leaning toward doing a partial.

What about the new locks that were just opened. I understand there may be additional options for larger ships. Any suggestions there?

I'm also interested in any other tips people may have. Thanks!

If you look down the board, you will many discussions about the limited cruise ship transits of the new locks. There might be one cruise ship using the new locks when you want to go.

As to demographics, Panama Canal cruises are longer, which usually creates an older crowd. Partial transits (also discussed here frequently) are 10 days minimum, so not a lot of families on board. So the demographic skews older.

We have sailed both HAL and Princess for over 20 years, starting in our 40s. HAL is our preference.

The crowd tends to be older for sure. I took the full transit island princess which was built specifically for the canal. I can say I would have been disappointed with a partial transit since going ocean to ocean gives you a different experience. Despite the demographics I am sure you would still have a good time on princess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did a Partial Transit on the Island Princess in 2014. Yes, the demographics were older, but longer cruises attract older passengers who have the time to do them. :D

Here is a link to my wife's website where she has posted pictures she took and made into slide shows. You will see a variety of pictures including the shore excursions. Cartagena was our favorite port stop on that cruise.

http://nancysoasis.com/2014PanamaPT/2014PanamaPT.html

Hope this helps. It was a great cruise. We were happy with our experience. Happy cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945

As others have indicated the demographics tend to skew older on longer cruises, however each cruise is unique. The activities on board will tend to be similar to what you have experienced on the respective cruise lines in the past.

The partial transit does have some advantages in that it is a shorter cruise if time is an issue, it is much easier to book transportation to and from the cruise. A partial transit cruise is an excellent choice, but IMO the best way to experience the Canal is a full transit in either direction. If you decide on a partial you still can see a large portion of the Canal if you select the shore excursion that takes you on a partial transit of the Canal through the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut.

Don't worry if you do decide on a partial transit cruise, it will only build on your eventual full transit some time down the road.

The opening of the new locks will certainly allow the larger cruise ships to relocate easily from east and west coast markets. There have only been a few announcements by the cruise lines that their larger ships will be transiting using the new locks. The Canal is not accepting cruise ships at the new locks until April 2017. At this time Disney is scheduled to be the first in late April with Princess and Carnival making their initial new locks transit in October.

Edited by BillB48

The crowd tends to be older for sure. I took the full transit island princess which was built specifically for the canal. I can say I would have been disappointed with a partial transit since going ocean to ocean gives you a different experience. Despite the demographics I am sure you would still have a good time on princess.

Appreciate this great summary above, plus the other wise comments on this thread. In late February, we are doing a 15-day Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco Princess sailing that goes through the Panama Canal and will give us our first visits in Colombia, Central American and Mexico. Plus, seeing the musical “Hamilton” in the Golden Gate City after the end of our cruise. Glad that we are doing a full Panama Canal transit versus only a partial. Will report back and post a live/blog on the Princess site about our experiences with lots of visuals.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 166,050 views for this posting.

We did a partial on RCI....it was plenty of "canal" time for us! You go thru 3 sets of locks into Lake Gatun. Those on excursions (ship's excursions ONLY on a partial) get off, and the ship stays in the lake for several hours. It's quite relaxing with most of the passengers gone! It's extremely hot, and having AC to retreat to is lovely!. Later, the ship will go back OUT of the same 3 locks, and dock at the Pier....you can get off the ship and shop in the pier shops, if you wish. That's where the excursion folks will re-join the ship. The trip out of the lake was nice, since there were fewer folks blocking the views!!

Thanks to everyone for the replies. You have definitely given me some things to think about. I will continue to do my research (especially about the partial vs. full).

It sounds like right now, my only choices are HAL and Princess, so we'll probably stick with Princess, since that is where we have had our best experiences.

We are definitely looking forward to this trip.

Check out Windstar cruises. They do a Costa Rica, Panama Canal combination. They start in Colon and end in Puerta Caldera, or vice versa. You will love the Windstar experience. I have not been on the Panama cruise, but have done the Greek Islands and Tahiti with them.

They do have a special on now.

I've booked UnCruise in mid-April, starting in Panama City, transiting through the Canal and going on to ports in Costa Rica. Their ships are typically under 100 passengers, focused on nature and don't have the multiple dining rooms and forms of entertainment that the big ships have, but DH and I LOVED their Alaska cruises and I'm excited about this one!

I am curious - we are looking at a partial canal cruise over Christmas 2018 on NCL. It is 11 day I think - do you think that this would attract more families as it is over holiday break?

I think there would be a better chance for more families during that time period, however I don't believe you find as many families on that cruise as compared to a typical 5-7 day cruise to the Caribbean.

I think there would be a better chance for more families during that time period, however I don't believe you find as many families on that cruise as compared to a typical 5-7 day cruise to the Caribbean.

That's good - we will be one of those families, and I don't want our son to be the only kid on board. We are doing 9 night southern on Navigator over Christmas in 2017, so we should be able to gauge the amount of kids on a longer cruise then. My wife and I are finding 7 days is just not long enough, and with our son off for two weeks at Christmas, it does not make sense to only do 7 night cruise.

We are doing our first Panama Canal cruise in October from Las Angeles . We are flying into San Fransisco & spending 3 nights , 3 driving the Pacific Coast Highway & then the cruise. Really looking forward to this trip and meeting fellow cruisers on board

Muriel

It sounds like right now, my only choices are HAL and Princess, so we'll probably stick with Princess, since that is where we have had our best experiences.

Norwegian Cruise line also does the PC cruises - might be a nice combination between HAL and Princess.

The Caribbean Princess is sailing through the new locks next season for sure.

Edited by Kylie

Norwegian Cruise line also does the PC cruises - might be a nice combination between HAL and Princess.

The Caribbean Princess is sailing through the new locks next season for sure.

We just returned from a 14 day PC transit on the NCL Jewel. Pearl may also do that itinerary.

Nice cruise. Lots of activities if you choose to participate. Narrator on board for transit of locks. He also had a Q & A session while transiting the canal between the locks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just returned from a 14 day PC transit on the NCL Jewel. Pearl may also do that itinerary.

Nice cruise. Lots of activities if you choose to participate. Narrator on board for transit of locks. He also had a Q & A session while transiting the canal between the locks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am booked on the Jade for Dec. partial transit.

So according to my readings and friend's experience one can ONLY book a ship's tour while going through the locks 5:00 am to 3:00 pm but once it reaches Colon from 5:00 - 8:00pm one can book other non ship tours?

I am booked on the Jade for Dec. partial transit.

So according to my readings and friend's experience one can ONLY book a ship's tour while going through the locks 5:00 am to 3:00 pm but once it reaches Colon from 5:00 - 8:00pm one can book other non ship tours?

That is correct, you can only book a shore excursion through the ship when it reaches the Gatun Lake Anchorage after locking up Gatun Locks. After passengers are tendered ashore and the transit schedule permits the ship will lock back down Gatun Locks and sail to Colon. When the ship arrives in Colon there is usually enough time for to go ashore and peruse the mall connected to the pier. However since the reason for the stop in Colon is primarily to pick up the touring passengers, there is not time to take an excursion. It is possible the ship may not use the entire time allotted for the call at Colon.

It's not just a NCL thing, all cruise lines that offer partial transits operate the same way.

That is correct, you can only book a shore excursion through the ship when it reaches the Gatun Lake Anchorage after locking up Gatun Locks. After passengers are tendered ashore and the transit schedule permits the ship will lock back down Gatun Locks and sail to Colon. When the ship arrives in Colon there is usually enough time for to go ashore and peruse the mall connected to the pier. However since the reason for the stop in Colon is primarily to pick up the touring passengers, there is not time to take an excursion. It is possible the ship may not use the entire time allotted for the call at Colon.

It's not just a NCL thing, all cruise lines that offer partial transits operate the same way.

Thank you for the information I will pass it on to my roll call.

iliana

We just returned from a canal cruise on Seabourn Odyssey. It was great. I wouldn't recommend a partial passage, I'd suggest going all the way through. I'd also suggest a tour of the Gatsun locks before or after the transit. That was a great tour.

Agree with your recommendation of a full transit vs a partial. However, it should be noted most full transits don't stop in Panama, so any side touring of any location in Panama is unlikely in probably 95% of all full transit cruises.