1st departure after TransAtlantic crossing

highrisesea

I'm on the Nov. 3 departure on the Reflection, the day she arrives from a Transatlantic crossing. I raised this question on the roll call and got one reply, but would love to hear more. Will there be a massive end of season change out of crew and entertainers? Will it cause problems? Will boarding be late due to the crew changes?

Employment of crew are based on contract duration. If it ends at the end of a voyage, it is just a coincidence. Some ends at a port itinerary within a voyage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On roll call, someone responded to my question from personal experience. He was on the 1st Caribbean departure after a transatlantic from Ft. Lauderdale last year. He said there was a big crew change. Many oncoming crew didn't have their paperwork in order. The Reflection departed Ft. Lauderdale with a crew shortage, which improved at each port of call as more crew came on. And, I have a friend who has been crew. He says that many do seasonal contracts like Mediterranean or Caribbean, resulting in a big crew change after a Transatlantic.

On roll call, someone responded to my question from personal experience. He was on the 1st Caribbean departure after a transatlantic from Ft. Lauderdale last year. He said there was a big crew change. Many oncoming crew didn't have their paperwork in order. The Reflection departed Ft. Lauderdale with a crew shortage, which improved at each port of call as more crew came on. And, I have a friend who has been crew. He says that many do seasonal contracts like Mediterranean or Caribbean, resulting in a big crew change after a Transatlantic.

Sorry but I have not personally encountered that kind of situation.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

We have done the westbound TA three times but never did the first cruise after. What I can tell you is that everyone of the crew has to go through customs also. They had their own lines but I'm not sure there were that many customs agents assigned. This caused a back up in the terminal.The last time I think it took about 1 1/2 hours, from the time our number was called until we were in the cab to the airport. Knowing this, we booked our flight home accordingly. I don't know how much this affected boarding but I would guess the staterooms and luggage delivery would be a little later.

We were delayed 3 hours because customs and the Coast Guard had o do special checks on ships arriving from overseas.

Boarding will most likely be delayed because of actions cited in above quote. The entire crew will have to go through immigration before anyone new can board.

I was worried about this two weeks ago when we embarked in Seattle after a TA. People who had done this same cruise last year said it was a mess and boarded late. We had absolutely no issues... so I'm guessing that it's like everything... problems arise and sometimes boarding is delayed or flights leave late. Hard to predict!

We've experienced problems (delayed boarding) on the first cruise after transatlantics.

Not just on Celebrity, we also had a very bad delay on Princess. Nothing like standing in line for over an hour and then seeing the check-in people just leave, with no explanation.:confused::(

I've experienced this problem in Miami. Worst possible port to experience it. There is no place to sit for regular passengers. Apparently there is a seating area for suites, Elite, etc., but my traveling companions were none of the above. So, given a choice, I don't cruise out of Miami.

I have done 3 TA's, all recent. 2 east bound & 1 west bound. Never a problem embarking or disembarking. On everyone, I arrived at the ship terminal (one was Miami other was Ft Lauderdale) around 11am and by noon I was sitting in the Oceanview enjoying lunch.

For that west bound we arrived at Ft Lauderdale on the Equinox. I had a late flight, around 4pm, so I requested a late departure from the ship (must have been around 930a). Again no problem, maybe about a 20 minute line to get through customs. I did see a lot of staff leaving from my balcony around 6am.

I have done 3 TA's, all recent. 2 east bound & 1 west bound. Never a problem embarking or disembarking.

Wasn't the OP asking about cruises following the TA, not the actual TAs?

We've boarded after a TA in Barcelona and there was a major turnaround of staff; took a few days for everyone to get into the 'swing' of things ;).

I have done 3 TA's, all recent. 2 east bound & 1 west bound. Never a problem embarking or disembarking. On everyone, I arrived at the ship terminal (one was Miami other was Ft Lauderdale) around 11am and by noon I was sitting in the Oceanview enjoying lunch.

For that west bound we arrived at Ft Lauderdale on the Equinox. I had a late flight, around 4pm, so I requested a late departure from the ship (must have been around 930a). Again no problem, maybe about a 20 minute line to get through customs. I did see a lot of staff leaving from my balcony around 6am.

Thank-you, but I was asking about the 1st departure AFTER a TA, and how it might be affected by crew turnover and all crew members needing to clear US customs and immigration.

I'm on the Nov. 3 departure on the Reflection, the day she arrives from a Transatlantic crossing. I raised this question on the roll call and got one reply, but would love to hear more. Will there be a massive end of season change out of crew and entertainers? Will it cause problems? Will boarding be late due to the crew changes?

In the order you asked:

1) There will be a large crew turnover, but not massive. The great majority of crew that were onboard on Nov. 2 will still be there on Nov. 4. For the entertainers, the turnover will be higher.

2) The only problems that you might be aware of with a changeover in crew would likely be in the main dining room, where hiccups in service are harder to cover up than elsewhere. It's another good reason to skip the MDR on departure day (one of the best tips I ever got from Cruise Critic). For shipboard entertainment, you might notice that the musicians are not as synchronized with the singers and dancers (and each other) as they will be after they've done it over and over again. One tip is to pass by the theatre when there is nothing scheduled on your first day. If the band is rehearsing with the headliner, that is status quo. If the band is rehearsing with the Celebrity singers and dancers, it is more likely that there has been a larger turnover in the entertainment department.

3) It is highly unlikely that boarding, or departure, will be delayed by any of the above. It is much more likely that boarding or departure would be delayed because of processing the ship as she is returning to a US home port. But the Transatlantics tend to dock very early, leaving adequate time for the turnaround.

In summary, I don't believe you will inconvenienced in any way on your departure day by changeovers in the ship's company.

Have a wonderful time!

Kendal:cool:

In the order you asked:

1) There will be a large crew turnover, but not massive. The great majority of crew that were onboard on Nov. 2 will still be there on Nov. 4. For the entertainers, the turnover will be higher.

2) The only problems that you might be aware of with a changeover in crew would likely be in the main dining room, where hiccups in service are harder to cover up than elsewhere. It's another good reason to skip the MDR on departure day (one of the best tips I ever got from Cruise Critic). For shipboard entertainment, you might notice that the musicians are not as synchronized with the singers and dancers (and each other) as they will be after they've done it over and over again. One tip is to pass by the theatre when there is nothing scheduled on your first day. If the band is rehearsing with the headliner, that is status quo. If the band is rehearsing with the Celebrity singers and dancers, it is more likely that there has been a larger turnover in the entertainment department.

3) It is highly unlikely that boarding, or departure, will be delayed by any of the above. It is much more likely that boarding or departure would be delayed because of processing the ship as she is returning to a US home port. But the Transatlantics tend to dock very early, leaving adequate time for the turnaround.

In summary, I don't believe you will inconvenienced in any way on your departure day by changeovers in the ship's company.

Have a wonderful time!

Kendal:cool:

WOW! I see that you are very much into TA cruises! Thanks so much for your detailed an helpful reply.

Usually have Coast Guard inspection upon return from overseas. Often first or second sailings out. Cruise line will let you know about 24 hrs ahead. Listen to them. Don't show up early or you'll be sitting /standing a long time.

Sent from my SM-T537V using Forums mobile app