Do you remember the TROPICALE?

dmwnc1959

Well, she's still around! She was Carnival Cruise Lines very first new-build cruise ship.

Now sailing as the PEACEBOAT Ocean Dream she passed through the Panama Canal yesterday en route to her brand new home in Yokohama, Japan where she will conduct yearly World Cruises. She is formally:

1981-2000: Carnival Cruise Line 'Tropicale'

2000-2005: 'Costa Tropicale'

2005-2008: P&O Australia 'Pacific Star'

2008-2012: Pullmantur 'Ocean Dream'

2012- On a six-year lease as PEACEBOAT

More of her history can be found HERE

Peaceboat3.jpg

Peaceboat4.jpg

Peaceboat7.jpg

Peaceboat9.jpg

Peaceboat11.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

She was my first Carnival cruise in 1994 sailing from San Juan.

I hate to say this, but it was a terrible cruise. It almost made me never want to cruise on Carnival again! Thankfully, I DID cruise again! :D

Edited by Tapi

I remember her well. I cruised on the Tropicale twice under Carnival and once under Costa.

But my first Carnival cruise was on the Mardi Gras.

Thanks for the wonderful pictures. Sure did make me smile this morning.

If you want to see it on The A-Team, watch this.......http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi555221785/

THANKS for the link. Not bad at all once you get past the first six minutes of pyrotechnics and gun fire. Pretty cool seeing the how simple the cruise ships use to be back in the day. :D

My first cruise was on the Tropicale in 1992 out of San Juan. That was a wonderful itinerary including Grenada, Aruba, Caracas and Guadeloupe.

I had a great time but didn't cruise again until 2010 on the Dream. What a difference.

If you want to see it on The A-Team, watch this.......

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi555221785/

Pretty cool show.

Also, watch how easy it was to get on the ship.

I met Dirk Benedict on the ship - here's a photo. I believe the year was 1979! Sorry for poor quality of photo - lifted it from old Super 8 home movie!

dirksue1.jpg.e0bb4c5cfb9236c45af91f7305af87d9.jpg

For folks who cruised on her..

can anyone remember if their Sail & Sign cards looked like this??

I don't have a picture, but it didn't look like that. The Sail & Sign card used to be a flimsy, very thin plastic card. It was basic white with the Carnival name & logo. Instead of swiping it, they would manually enter the folio number printed on the card in the computer. :)

If you want to see it on The A-Team, watch this.......

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi555221785/

Pretty cool show.

Also, watch how easy it was to get on the ship.

Interesting. This show reminded me of the Love Boat episodes. Hilarious, as I remember them. The cruise director had a clipboard and checked off your name as you arrived? Can you imagine? Everyone knew your name too, from the Captain to the bartender. Too funny.

I loved the Tropicale. We did the 10-day New Years Cruise departing the day after Christmas in 1996. Barely made it to San Juan in time for departure. Nine islands in ten days. Great way to sample the Caribbean. Even made it to Grenada. The food was fantastic.

I don't even remember having any kind of card at all. Just gave my cabin number and signed a receipt. I was only 17 though, so maybe my parents had a card and I don't remember it.

Actually, the more that I think about it, the more I KNOW I didn't have to show a card or anything, because I clearly remember being served Pina Coladas - not virgin ones - and no one EVER asked me for ID or anything else. Yeah, I was 17. I had some fun on that cruise.;)

I don't remember any type of sail & sign card at all. Matter of fact, security was virtually non-existant as I remember when it came to leaving and re-boarding the ship in port.

We had buttons we were given to 'identify' us as passengers. We only had to show our button to get back on board. We wondered if we could just use the buttons anywhere to climb aboard after the cruise was done.

Well, she's still around! She was Carnival Cruise Lines very first new-build cruise ship.

Now sailing as the PEACEBOAT Ocean Dream she passed through the Panama Canal yesterday en route to her brand new home in Yokohama, Japan where she will conduct yearly World Cruises. She is formally:

1981-2000: Carnival Cruise Line 'Tropicale'

2000-2005: 'Costa Tropicale'

2005-2008: P&O Australia 'Pacific Star'

2008-2012: Pullmantur 'Ocean Dream'

2012- On a six-year lease as PEACEBOAT

More of her history can be found HERE

remember first seeing that ship on an episode of the a-team.

amazing how small she looks now. i think she was in the 30,000 gwt range.