Do you remember the TROPICALE?

dmwnc1959

I began reading the posts and after several readings discovered that the first post started in 2012. Continuing on, I was really surprised when I discovered that one of the answering posts was mine. Small world! Then I became even more surprised when I noticed that my post count in 2012 was the same as my current post count in 2015 (Shows 3,261). So I guess that when you read past posts your post count is updated to your current post count. (Sorry about that, I didn't mean for that sentence to be a tongue twister - just turned out that way.) Now that is some thing you may want to tell to all your Cruise Critic friends.

• 6 months later...
Well, she's still around! She was Carnival Cruise Lines very first new-build cruise ship.

Now sailing as the PEACEBOAT Ocean Dream she passed through the Panama Canal yesterday en route to her brand new home in Yokohama, Japan where she will conduct yearly World Cruises. She is formally:

1981-2000: Carnival Cruise Line 'Tropicale'

2000-2005: 'Costa Tropicale'

2005-2008: P&O Australia 'Pacific Star'

2008-2012: Pullmantur 'Ocean Dream'

2012- On a six-year lease as PEACEBOAT

More of her history can be found HERE

Peaceboat3.jpg

Peaceboat4.jpg

Peaceboat7.jpg

Peaceboat9.jpg

Peaceboat11.jpg

Looks great with out the wing on top.

Well, she's still around! She was Carnival Cruise Lines very first new-build cruise ship.

Now sailing as the PEACEBOAT Ocean Dream she passed through the Panama Canal yesterday en route to her brand new home in Yokohama, Japan where she will conduct yearly World Cruises. She is formally:

1981-2000: Carnival Cruise Line 'Tropicale'

2000-2005: 'Costa Tropicale'

2005-2008: P&O Australia 'Pacific Star'

2008-2012: Pullmantur 'Ocean Dream'

2012- On a six-year lease as PEACEBOAT

More of her history can be found HERE

We almost cruised her, as she was the only ship that was doing the Southern Caribbean at the time. Just as we were about to book, they pulled her out and replaced her with the Fascination. So Fascination it was.

• 3 weeks later...
Looks great with out the wing on top.

No luck with my scanner for doing the Capers.... I may have to take them to work and scan them there. Having these was to my advantage - I got Carnival to add this cruise so that made me Platinum on our last one!

We paid cash for everything "extra", and I do remember that you could go and board the ship for the Bon Voyage Party and you had to leave before sailing...... we lived in SoCal at the time and it was a regular thing to go to the dock, party for a while and then watch her sail away without us.

we did that to back in the day. The sad look on there faces when they had to leave was really pathetic.

• 2 weeks later...

The Tropicale was our very first cruise in 1987. Carnival actually gave up past cruise credits after we sent photos evidence that we had been passengers. See attached photo. Blast from the past.

1987.jpg.dcd10caf3a6790da85301fb99344de54.jpg

There use to not be any outlets in the older ships. There was a room to go to blow dry your hair or use your curling iron or whatever. The only plug was in the restroom and it was only for electric shavers. If you plugged in your blow dryer it would blow a circuit and no one around you would have lights.

Also on the Mardi Gras the bathroom shower was over the commode so when you showered your commode got all wet.

You never had to show your boardings slip to sign for drinks or whatever. Also I remember that you could either set up an onboard account or pay cash throughout the ship.

The funny thing is I pay about the same to cruise today as I did in the early 80's for a cruise. Cannont say that about many things.

BOY you sure are bring back memories!!:)

Inside cabin on the TROPICALE in the 80s - $599 pp

Inside cabin on the BREEZE (just booked) - $459 pp !

Go figure.

Competition . . . the lifeblood of Capitalism.

Edited by glrounds