Share your secret excursions

dsu_2003

Looking for something different. We've been on the tour, to 7 mile beach, turtle farm, snorkeling, and the rays. So just looking for something different, can be active, but not much of a laying on the beach. I have 2 stops here in the next year.

Ah! Have you looked at a guidebook? That's what I do, when I want to know ALL about someplace! Libraries have them!

We are more "beachy" people, so that's what we tend to like! Not fans of snorkeling, and have had my share of stingray encounters in the Chesapeake Bay! And, you know, if there's nothing that "floats your boat", staying on the ship is a great time on a port day...the ship is virtually empty!

Sorry I'm not more helpful...but do check out a guidebook....there may be lots of things you don't even know is there that would interest you!

My library has a poor travel section, but I do look at barnes and noble. They are fully stocked. Trip advisor - sometimes feels overwhelming, especally on my phone - Sharing the laptop right now and spring is husband's busy season. Fantasy baseball research.

We are about your same age, 51 and 53. Look up Cayman Food Tour. It gets fantastic reviews. We SO wanted to do this on our upcoming cruise at the end of March, but they are not giving tours the week we will be there. It is a small group walking tour that visits different restaurants and shops and you get to sample local food. It also provides education on the history of Georgetown and Cayman Islands as you visit a few historical sites. Lots of good reviews on Trip Advisor.

Here is a link to a video I watched that shows several things you do not normally see in Grand Cayman cruise videos:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Direct link:

Pretty sure these people were staying on the island but it might help give you some ideas about alternate things.

I've been to GC a few times. I'm looking for something new.

We are two 50yos. Have you ever done something different? What was it and would you revommend it?

We enjoyed renting a jeep and driving out to Rum Point for a low-key day at a pretty beach. Stopped along the way at a viewpoint along the shore and at the Governor Gore nature reserve. Another option for a stop along the way would be at the Botanical Gardens.

We enjoyed renting a jeep and driving out to Rum Point for a low-key day at a pretty beach.

We have also done this and found it an enjoyable day although hardly a secret.

Another time, we did a Caybrew brewery tour in the morning (got there and back by bus) and then walked from town to My Bar at Sunset House and swam in the ocean pool followed by a couple of Caybrews at the bar. Free good Wi-fi and we were the only cruisers there with 4 ships in port.

I think going to the internet for "things to do and see in Grand Cayman" or" tours to take in Grand Cayman" would yield more plentiful and varied results than a guide book from the library. :)

We have also done this and found it an enjoyable day although hardly a secret.

Another time, we did a Caybrew brewery tour in the morning (got there and back by bus) and then walked from town to My Bar at Sunset House and swam in the ocean pool followed by a couple of Caybrews at the bar. Free good Wi-fi and we were the only cruisers there with 4 ships in port.

DON'T TELL about this!!!!!!!

It will get crowded now . . . .

100_0119_zpsd727fca8.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

DON'T TELL about this!!!!!!!

It will get crowded now . . . .

100_0119_zpsd727fca8.jpg

Like.

And I didn't even mention my new favorite. Billy Bones Bar at the Treasure Cove....... nice swim up bar, I was the only cruiser last week when I was there.

• 1 month later...
I've been to GC a few times. I'm looking for something new.

We are two 50yos. Have you ever done something different? What was it and would you revommend it?

Beach and Ocean Horse Ride with Cayman Horse Riding Nikki is the best and if this sounds fun to you, she won't disappoint. She picked us up in port and brought us back

I second the idea of Rum Point. It is a lovely beach and well worth the drive.

It is easy and affordable to rent a car with any of the various rental companies online. They can come and pick you up at the port and take you to the car rental agency and will drop you off to the port after you turn it in.

I would suggest lunch at A La Kebab in the Marquee Plaza in Seven Mile Beach if you like gyros or wraps. They are phenomenal and their sauces are amazing. After I moved away from Grand Cayman, I would crave their food for months.

Every time I visit on a cruise stop now, I stop at A La Kebab to have a lamb & beef wrap with veggies, feta, tzatziki sauce (with a side of peanut satay sauce to dip my fries in) for lunch... heavenly :)

Edited by CocoCandy

• 2 weeks later...

Was just on a half day Grand Cayman fishing trip with Tobias, from Fish Tales Cayman. Had a wonderful trip fishing for Tarpon. Saw a lot of Tarpon, hooked four, boated one. Also hooked barracuda, but didn't land any. Caught several other fish while fishing for the tarpon. Great guide, reasonable price. He also guides for many other fish and types of fishing, tailoring trips for each customer.

• 2 weeks later...

Fat Fish Adventures set ski tour, smaller group and more personal experience. Stingrays, reef, starfish beach and Rum Point is the highlight. If your port timed allow you to take their later excursion you hit more spots and have a nice lunch at RP (you buy).

Otherwise rent a car and drive to the East End and then enjoy RP.