Clamshell rental

Cruisfan

We rented a clam shell in Dec. and it was a great idea. Unfortunately ours was faulty in construction and collapsed when a person passing by put her hand on it for support. The beach person managed to set it up again but he stated that some of the shells need replacing and the company (not HAL) was cheap and wouldn't spend the money. This is just an FYI for you to be sure you get one that is well constructed. Have a great time on Half Moon. It is a lovely island.

I was on the Eurodam Jan 4-11. The clamshells were sold out prior to sailing, as they also were in Oct on the 1st sailing of the season. Both times we were the only ship there. Hopefully someone will cancel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just came back from a 14-day NA cruise which had two stops at HMC: on the first one, we were the only ship and on the other, the Maasdam was also there. I was waitlisted for a clamshell. To my surprise, both times the clamshells were available when I asked at the rentals shack on the beach. Just walk over to the beach hut where beach stuff is being rented out and ask for one.

On NA Jan.4-11 and we were wait listed. I kept checking on HAL site under excursions and it showed up open so I booked and cancelled the wait list. I was told by guest services that there are fewer clam shells available.

Sounds like the clamshells that are broken are not being replaced.

That isn't good.

I rented one on my last cruise. I wanted to wait until the crowd died down so I proceeded to leave the ship at around 10. I didn't get there until almost 11. I had a heck of a time getting someone to commit to setting it up. I was sent from one person to the next to the next. Never again.

We were just on the Maasdam there while the Nieuw Ansterdam was also

there. We booked one online (suggest you keep checking that) If you don't get one go to the beach and go off to the left and just camp on chairs under a tree.

There was another couple there the same time we were and they saw ours and wanted one (we were in first tender) they were told none were available.

Since we wanted to explore first we ended up offering ours to them for the first part of the morning.

We did like having it and I would just keep checking to see if anyone cancels or when they get on board decide to book a cabana with friends they meet.

Sherry

I rented one on my last cruise. I wanted to wait until the crowd died down so I proceeded to leave the ship at around 10. I didn't get there until almost 11. I had a heck of a time getting someone to commit to setting it up. I was sent from one person to the next to the next. Never again.

I've also chased the island staff all over the beach to get them to do the set up and by then I needed a nap.:o

Finally figured out that all you have to do is find one you like and sit down and make camp. In no time someone will come by and tell you that they are only for those with reservations. Voila, I pull out my slip and they set it up.

I've given up chasing them, let them come to me.:D

I've also chased the island staff all over the beach to get them to do the set up and by then I needed a nap.:o

Finally figured out that all you have to do is find one you like and sit down and make camp. In no time someone will come by and tell you that they are only for those with reservations. Voila, I pull out my slip and they set it up.

That's a good tip!

That's a good plan!!

They are actually quite easy to set up - we did our own last year as we were first off the ship and the person setting them up was quite busy.

All you need to know is that the support bars are stored next to, or just under the cabanas. Pick a clamshell. Grab a support bar. Open the cabana. Snap the bar in place, and give the attendant your reservation slip once they come by. We learned that after chasing the attendants all over one morning.

Thank you all for your replies and comments. We will try as suggested to just show up and see if we can get one on site. I checked and on Feb 7th, there will be 2 ships there so perhaps explains the lack of availability.

On another topic, can someone tell me how often the tenders run back to the ship? I am thinking that we might want to eat on the ship instead of fighting the crowds, especially if we have no shade.

Cruisfan

We are also waitlisted for clamshells on our February 13 cruise. Are there any chairs on the beach to use? Is there any shade? I don't recall the set up of the beach. This is our third HAL cruise. On the first visit we rented one of the cabanas on the beach and the last time (2012) we rented the Private Oasis. Both were nice but we had a larger group then.

It can get too hot under the clamshell. However, if you use a backpack or beach bag to prop up the back, the small amount of increased air circulation makes a huge drop in temperature. I read this trick on CC years ago and am happy to report that it works and to pass it along.

The last time we rented a clamshell it was around $15.00 - you only need one for 2 people (a mistake I made years ago). Last time we were on HMC we didn't bother renting - found shade when we needed it - or spent time in the pirate ship bar.

Another question asked was about how often the tenders run - it seem to me they never stop - probably about every 15 - 20 mins? Someone else might have more specific information on this.

We have never waited more then 15 mins for a tender - in either direction.

The last time we rented a clamshell it was around $15.00 - you only need one for 2 people (a mistake I made years ago). Last time we were on HMC we didn't bother renting - found shade when we needed it - or spent time in the pirate ship bar.

Another question asked was about how often the tenders run - it seem to me they never stop - probably about every 15 - 20 mins? Someone else might have more specific information on this.

We have never waited more then 15 mins for a tender - in either direction.

I think they are supposed to be constant but there seems to be a break in that when I want to go:D.