Daylight and nighttime hours

H2Otstr

From my experience flying Dallas to Tokyo many times at roughly the same time of day, it's light for a good chunk of the flight if I remember correctly (though I am usually sleeping for the middle part of the flight). However, keep in mind that window shades will likely be closed for most of the flight, meaning it will be dark in the plane no matter what the outside conditions are like.

Depending on the flight track it might get dark briefly over Alaska or the Bering Sea, but as stated they will -force - the shades down. If you want to look out (and it can be spectacular over Alaska and the Aleutians) you might have to take a sneak peek (ask the other people in the row first) or else look out the window in the emergency exit door in the galley, or if the lavs have windows, there.

Delta is taking a pretty northern track it looks like, owing to the jetstream's location. Here's yesterday's track - http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL95/history/20141118/1549Z/KATL/RJAA

What time of year are you going? If they take a northern route in summer it should be light longer than if you go in winter with the earth being tilted and all.

But, you are going to Bangkok....you win. It could be light the whole war or dark and it would not really matter you are going to Thailand and we are not. :mad:

If your plan was to have your shade up and look out the window, I can say....they WILL have you put down the shade. Zach and Gardyloo are right on.

And remember....to disobey ANY directive by cabin crew is a Federal offense. A sneak peek yes....gazing for hours, nope.

If your plan was to have your shade up and look out the window, I can say....they WILL have you put down the shade. Zach and Gardyloo are right on.

And remember....to disobey ANY directive by cabin crew is a Federal offense. A sneak peek yes....gazing for hours, nope.

I personally don't care for this mandatory "shades down" I can never sleep on a plane and do enjoy looking out the window and hate sitting for hours in a dark tube listening to at times loud snoring...but will of course always obey...

What about turning on the reading light...this seems it could be as much as a bother to sleeper's...perhaps the airlines should hand out sleeping masks or flyer's should bring their own (some do but many don't).

Will be flying my 2 longest legs SEA-NRT & NRT-SIN early this March with a departure time of 11:47am from SEA. Will most of my flights be "shades down" ?

I personally don't care for this mandatory "shades down" I can never sleep on a plane and do enjoy looking out the window and hate sitting for hours in a dark tube listening to at times loud snoring...but will of course always obey...

What about turning on the reading light...this seems it could be as much as a bother to sleeper's...perhaps the airlines should hand out sleeping masks or flyer's should bring their own (some do but many don't).

Will be flying my 2 longest legs SEA-NRT & NRT-SIN early this March with a departure time of 11:47am from SEA. Will most of my flights be "shades down" ?

The thing about the reading light is that it may bother the people next to you, or maybe in the row before/behind you...but the open window can light up a whole section of the plane (all the way across, for several rows in either direction).

In my experience (which is by no means completely conclusive), on flights like that, they generally ask for shades to go down after the first meal (which would be about 2-3 hours in to flight for the economy class section). But that's based off of my flying with American. I have little Delta longhaul experience.

In regards to noise, I always always always fly with earplugs. Usually, when I fall asleep, I keep my noise canceling headphones on until that moment right before you know you're going to fall asleep. Then I pop in the earplugs, because I don't like sleeping with the bulky headphones hanging off the sides of my head. Particularly true in business class where you have the opportunity to lay on your sides, where the headphones would be a real pain.

Edited by Zach1213

LOL, I promise not to put the shades up. As a matter of fact, we are in a 3-3-3 seating arrangement and we are in seats D&E. Didn't want someone climbing over me the whole flight, so I booked the middle.