Norovirus Outbreak Hits Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship

island284

The number of people sick are 700 REPORTED cases which means there were a lot more than 700!

Just saw an interview with a Passenger from the Explorer who's Cousin is a producer for Fox News.

One thing she mentioned was upon Embark that the garbage pail in her room was not emptied from the previous passengers in her room and also that her bathroom was dirty. :eek: Could this be why Royal's Ships have more of a problem with Noro outbreaks than many of the other cruise lines?

The number of people sick are 700 REPORTED cases which means there were a lot more than 700!

Just saw an interview with a Passenger from the Explorer who's Cousin is a producer for Fox News.

One thing she mentioned was upon Embark that the garbage pail in her room was not emptied from the previous passengers in her room and also that her bathroom was dirty. :eek: Could this be why Royal's Ships have more of a problem with Noro outbreaks than many of the other cruise lines?

That's a big jump to say that because of one report of a "dirty" room, that that is the reason RCI has problems with noro? Seriously? Every cruise line has had noro and more than likely on every ship. Not to mention, an emptied trash can is no more sanitary than one with trash in it if you don't touch it. And, what about the cabin was dirty. Not enough info. I have never had a dirty cabin or unemptied trash, ever, on any cruise. Did she report it I wonder? And, what happened?

Edited by BND

How do you know that RCCL has more of a problem with Noro than many others?

I'm not being a pot stirrer I'm just really curious as to where this info is posted...I'd love to read more about it. Thanks!

The washy washy girls outside of public restrooms might not be a bad idea. Also place signage on the inside of stall doors, as reminders to wash.

Maybe we should hold others(and ourselves) accountable...that is, if you see someone coming out of a bathroom stall and not washing their hands, maybe a polite reminder would be in order.:)

And, if I forget, I would accept that someone would give me a reminder as well.

Thoughts anyone??

It seems like too many for it to have been caused just from infected guests or crew. Hopefully they'll be able to pinpoint the cause.

The Norwalk virus spreads quickly - one person can infect many within a few hours - especially if one doesn't realize they are infected and/or are unknowingly infecting others...

The CDC will test many different surfaces, items, areas, people, etc....

That's one distinction I'm sure they don't want....those numbers are staggering to me.

I wonder why so many were infected and ill...makes me wonder if it was food that caused it and not just a handful of people who may have had the virus and boarded the ship.

It seems like too many for it to have been caused just from infected guests or crew. Hopefully they'll be able to pinpoint the cause.

Wishing everyone on that ship a safe trip home...they've been through a lot, especially those who were/are ill.

This is total speculation here, but I wonder if this norovirus is the same one that swept through the US southeast like wildfire last year. I know lots of physicians were suspicious that last year's virus could be trasmitted through the air because it moved -so- fast.

This is total speculation here, but I wonder if this norovirus is the same one that swept through the US southeast like wildfire last year. I know lots of physicians were suspicious that last year's virus could be trasmitted through the air because it moved -so- fast.

Norwalk is not an airborne virus, per se. One can be infected by inhaling particulates found in the air adjacent to extruded bodily fluids.... if you get my drift w/o going into too much detail.....

Approximately 25% of the passengers took ill. That means that approximately 75% of the passengers did NOT get ill. Don't get me wrong, I would not want to be one of the 25%, but this stuff happens this time of year no matter where you are. Last Christmas, it went around my immediate family. Out of 8 of us, 5 got sick - an even higher percentage than this outbreak, and believe me I cleaned my little heart out, and we all washed our hands until they were practically raw:).

Provided they are doing all they can (and my experience has been that they are very diligent in these situations), then I think cruise lines really get the short end of the stick with this stuff. It is not their fault passengers bring it onboard. (sometimes a crew member, but as they are a 'captive audience' cruise to cruise I suspect it is more likely to be a passenger). It is not their fault that it is super contagious. And yet they are the ones who get stuck with major financial set-backs. And then there is the vicious press with their constant headlines about the 'cruise ship virus' - as if.

I am absolutely not without sympathy for those impacted on this cruise, but I think the cruise line is doing all they can in all likelihood.

I bring a prescription of Cipro whenever I travel. I have never needed it, but it will be packed for my cruise next week. I always practice all the common sense preventatives in my daily life and am even more diligent on vacation.

I bring a prescription of Cipro whenever I travel. I have never needed it, but it will be packed for my cruise next week. I always practice all the common sense preventatives in my daily life and am even more diligent on vacation.

Whoah!!! Be careful with that... it's strong stuff & the side effects can be worse than the infection you're trying to treat....

That's a big jump to say that because of one report of a "dirty" room, that that is the reason RCI has problems with noro? Seriously? Every cruise line has had noro and more than likely on every ship. Not to mention, an emptied trash can is no more sanitary than one with trash in it if you don't touch it. And, what about the cabin was dirty. Not enough info. I have never had a dirty cabin or unemptied trash, ever, on any cruise. Did she report it I wonder? And, what happened?

I NEVER said that was the reason for the Noro! I said that the passenger who was interviewed stated her bathroom was dirty and the garbage pail not emptied from the previous passengers. If what she is saying is the truth, improper cleaning (or not cleaning) can contribute as the germs live on the surface! Why do you think they are now doing a deep clean...to get rid of the germs? Wasn't there a couple of reports about some cases being on the cruise before this one?

How do you know that RCCL has more of a problem with Noro than many others?

I'm not being a pot stirrer I'm just really curious as to where this info is posted...I'd love to read more about it. Thanks!

Through research and news reports.

Could this be why Royal's Ships have more of a problem with Noro outbreaks than many of the other cruise lines?

They do? That's news to me.

In the past 10 years, the average number of outbreaks reported to American authorities per ship is:

Holland America: 3.00

Regent Seven Seas: 2.67

Cunard: 2.67

Celebrity: 2.45

Princess: 2.24

Norwegian: 1.77

Royal Caribbean: 1.10

P&O: 0.43

Carnival: 0.38 (not including poop cruises).

That list takes number of ships per line into account, but doesn't account for ship size or length of sailing. Overall, I'd say Royal Caribbean is pretty low on that list.

If you just look at just the last five years:

Cunard: 1.33

Celebrity: 1.27

Holland America: 0.93

Princess: 0.88

Regent Seven Seas: 0.33

Norwegian: 0.31

Royal Caribbean: 0.29

P&O: 0.14

Carnival: 0.13 (not including poop cruises).

First of all, the number of overall cases is much lower in the last 5 years. Second, Royal Caribbean is still pretty close to the bottom.

It's also interesting to note that the lines that tend to cater to an older clientele (Holland America, Cunard, Princess, and Celebrity) have higher rates of Norovirus than lines that cater to a younger crowd (Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and Norwegian).

Edited by ahecht

Antibiotics will do you no good unless you have a bacterial infection. It has zero impact on a virus and it's not all that safe to take Cipro just because. Antibiotics have been overused and any Dr who will just give you a prescription for Cipro, just to have, is no Dr I'd want and is adding to the problem of resistant bacteria.

I just love your post! I'd totally put a "like" on it, if I could! So glad you have had such great crusing experiences! I feel for you on your fall--I fainted once, and bruised my ribs, and couldn't sleep in my bed for 6 weeks.

We just got off a great cruise on the Grandeur and made lots of new friends also!

Chris

I love your post, too. You're the type of person I want to have on my cruises and in my life.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just wanted to say, thank you both !

The crew/staff on the Voyager couldn't have been nicer. Our cabin attendant was especially kind making sure I was supplied with ice around the clock. She always asked if I needed anything especially food if I felt unable to get to the MDR. NOTHING stopped me from getting to the MDR, not even a bad fall, bra or no bra ;):eek:

Welcome back Explorer passengers!

Edited by BonTexasNY

Well…maybe your research should include CDC data. According to the CDC, if we're talking about 2013, Royal did not have more outbreaks of norovirus than other cruise lines. Celebrity had the most outbreaks of noro in 2013. In 2012, it was Princess. Holland and Princess tied in 2011.

I guess that statement might be right for the first three weeks of 2014 since Royal has had a big problem on Explorer. Norwegian also had a smaller problem on Star earlier this month.

Remember Cipro works on bacterial infections only so it doesn't work for colds and stomach bugs like Noro or the Flu for that matter.

Sorry to inform you that your "research and news reports" are wrong. I did a quick "google" search and Royal does not have "more than the rest" when it comes to Noro outbreaks.

Statements like yours are how false rumors and misinformation gets out there.

Luckily the internet allows us to check these facts pretty quick.:rolleyes:

Edited by styles27

In the past 10 years, the average number of outbreaks reported to American authorities per ship is:

Holland America: 3.00

Regent Seven Seas: 2.67

Cunard: 2.67

Celebrity: 2.45

Princess: 2.24

Norwegian: 1.77

Royal Caribbean: 1.10

P&O: 0.43

Carnival: 0.38 (not including poop cruises).

That list takes number of ships per line into account, but doesn't account for ship size or length of sailing. Overall, I'd say Royal Caribbean is pretty low on that list.

If you just look at just the last five years:

Cunard: 1.33

Celebrity: 1.27

Holland America: 0.93

Princess: 0.88

Regent Seven Seas: 0.33

Norwegian: 0.31

Royal Caribbean: 0.29

P&O: 0.14

Carnival: 0.13 (not including poop cruises).

First of all, the number of overall cases is much lower in the last 5 years. Second, Royal Caribbean is still pretty close to the bottom.

It's also interesting to note that the lines that tend to cater to an older clientele (Holland America, Cunard, Princess, and Celebrity) have higher rates of Norovirus than lines that cater to a younger crowd (Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and Norwegian).

There are statistics and then there is what one does with statistics.

Noro outbreaks on cruise ships have to be reported to the CDC once there are 3% of the passengers on board infected.

On a ship with 3100 passengers, that means at least 93 passengers must be infected. So a Voyager class ship with 90 such cases would not have to report this and would not be included in the statistics.

So the numbers from ahecht really only reflect the number of reportable incidents, not the number of actual incidents.

Does RCCL have a crew member present to make sure pax use a hand sanitizer before entering the MDR or buffet?

We were on the Brilliance last week, and I was asked to use the hand sanitizers when entering the Windjammer Cafe. I told the crew member that I had already used hand sanitizer when I boarded, and he insisted that I use it before I could enter the WJ.

When we went into the dining room, they never even checked if we used the hand sanitizers.

We were on the Brilliance last week, and I was asked to use the hand sanitizers when entering the Windjammer Cafe. I told the crew member that I had already used hand sanitizer when I boarded, and he insisted that I use it before I could enter the WJ.

When we went into the dining room, they never even checked if we used the hand sanitizers.

I'll be on Brilliance one week from today...hoping for a ship full of healthy hand washing passengers.

Did you enjoy the cruise and was it warm? lol I mean on the sea days...it's been in the teens and single digits here in MA the past couple of days.

Edited by styles27

Approximately 25% of the passengers took ill. That means that approximately 75% of the passengers did NOT get ill. Don't get me wrong, I would not want to be one of the 25%, but this stuff happens this time of year no matter where you are. Last Christmas, it went around my immediate family. Out of 8 of us, 5 got sick - an even higher percentage than this outbreak, and believe me I cleaned my little heart out, and we all washed our hands until they were practically raw:).

Provided they are doing all they can (and my experience has been that they are very diligent in these situations), then I think cruise lines really get the short end of the stick with this stuff. It is not their fault passengers bring it onboard. (sometimes a crew member, but as they are a 'captive audience' cruise to cruise I suspect it is more likely to be a passenger). It is not their fault that it is super contagious. And yet they are the ones who get stuck with major financial set-backs. And then there is the vicious press with their constant headlines about the 'cruise ship virus' - as if.

I am absolutely not without sympathy for those impacted on this cruise, but I think the cruise line is doing all they can in all likelihood.

I couldn't have said it better! :D

It's been well established on here that the hand sanitizers do nothing to Noro. They are antibacterial and noro is a virus. What they ought to be asking people is when is the last time they washed their hands.

Edited by BND