Live on Anthem to the Bahamas 11/22-11/30

We had a pretty cold sea day 1 because of a front up & down the east coast. I don't think it was as cool as 50 degrees-probably more 55-57 but flowrider was closed that day. No wind or other reasons-simply because it was too cold. It was open on sea day 2. No one seems to understand that I am looking to sign a generic sports waiver for the teen. I asked the sports people twice at Seaplex and got the "come down with him & sign him in for each activity" response which makes no sense because as a teen club, they do flowrider, bumper cars and so on. I asked at teen center, guest services and shore excursions and they said they didn't know. An example of the lack of training of the staff. It's like they just pulled up to the dock last week and staff got on without any formal training.

As for dining, it isn't that it has taken really long. Dinner is about 90-120 minutes total. It's more the lack of staff to refill water, replace bread, take drink orders- that sort of thing.

Okay, let's talk staterooms. After 10+ cruises on 3 other lines (NCL, DCL & Princess), these are my least favorite. Not enough storage. Sofa bed is terrible. Hard as a rock and it pulls out to a full bed which means you have literally about 7-8 inches to get past it to the balcony. Drawers cannot be opened when bed is open. Room steward thought it was okay to leave open all the time from first night she made it up. Told her no way- needed to be re-set to sofa all day. And the worst part- the walls are really thin. You can hear every conversation in adjacent rooms and everything in the hallway. This is with earplugs! The worst I have ever experienced. Bedding and pillows are cheap and uncomfortable. Haven't slept well yet. On a positive note, decor is very pretty and bathrooms are a reasonable size with decent storage. Balcony is a very good size.

Stayed in a Spa JS on Quantum and felt they were the best and quietest staterooms we have ever been on, also felt the bedding and sofa bed were the most comfortable we have ever had. Slept like a baby the whole cruise. As far as storage, again the best we have ever encountered on any RCL ship, period.......:):):)

We're enjoying ourselves, but going back to Celebrity for our next cruise.

My husband thinks the Anthem's problems will cause RCI stock to fall.

:confused: Ummm, :confused: Why in the world would he think that? I agree with the other poster. The stock will double.

Edited by champagne123
dddd

Stayed in a Spa JS on Quantum and felt they were the best and quietest staterooms we have ever been on, also felt the bedding and sofa bed were the most comfortable we have ever had. Slept like a baby the whole cruise. As far as storage, again the best we have ever encountered on any RCL ship, period.......:):):)

We were also in a Spa JS on Anthem and yes, the storage space was incredible. But you posted your comment in reply to the OP's complaining about storage issues in her cabin, which clearly is not a junior suite or suite of any kind. So it's really comparing apples to oranges. Plus, they have at least one kid in there as well.

We loved our cabin, but the bed was far too firm and the pillows were like rocks.

We were also in a Spa JS on Anthem and yes, the storage space was incredible. But you posted your comment in reply to the OP's complaining about storage issues in her cabin, which clearly is not a junior suite or suite of any kind. So it's really comparing apples to oranges. Plus, they have at least one kid in there as well.

We loved our cabin, but the bed was far too firm and the pillows were like rocks.

My $.02: Our standard balcony cabin on Anthem had the most storage and best layout of any non-suite balcony cabin I've ever stayed in. Period.

My $.02: Our standard balcony cabin on Anthem had the most storage and best layout of any non-suite balcony cabin I've ever stayed in. Period.

I'm not surprised to hear you say this; the cabins are very similar to those on Celebrity's S-class ships, which are wonderful.

My son and daughter each had a balcony stateroom and they had plenty of storage also. Then again they packed lighter than myself...:)

There are two but one contains all the bedding for the sofa bed. So, only one can be used. And, yes, I asked to have it removed and the answer was "we have nowhere else to put it.
My sons cabin steward happily stowed the bedding items "under" his bed for him...:)

Strange???? Is a pretty obnoxious titling. In my opinion ( and you are free to differ), compared to DCL and NCL staterooms I have had, the useable storage is very limited. For example, a full closet with 2 levels of only hanging bars is overkill and the clothes are too long to hang on 2nd bar ( even just a man's suit) rendering 2nd bar useless. Drawers aren't deep and are tiny so they aren't very useful either. I greatly prefer an actual closet ( DCL has two large ones side by side) and I miss the long cabinets of other lines. Also, you can do what you'd like but if prefer my pillow and bedding to not be stored on the floor under the bed ( yuck) and even if that was ok with me, that's where the empty suitcases are.

As for bedding, the pillows are the worst I've ever slept on, the sheets are ok- not terrible but not luxury by any means, the comforter/ duvet is softer and nice. Mattress is pretty good- but very hard I guess because brand new. Perhaps it's because we have a connecting stateroom but the walls seem very thin to me. Our next door neighbor lines to fall asleep with her tv on and she doesn't even have it loud but I can hear it as if it were on in our room.

Edited by conandrob240

Perhaps it's because we have a connecting stateroom but the walls seem very thin to me. Our next door neighbor lines to fall asleep with her tv on and she doesn't even have it loud but I can hear it as if it were on in our room.

Sorry to hear that. This is why we avoid connecting rooms at all costs. We had no sound bleed into our non-connecting room on Anthem from either side, which leads me to believe you're right that the connecting door is to blame.

Strange???? Is a pretty obnoxious titling. In my opinion ( and you are free to differ), compared to DCL and NCL staterooms I have had, the useable storage is very limited. For example, a full closet with 2 levels of only hanging bars is overkill and the clothes are too long to hang on 2nd bar ( even just a man's suit) rendering 2nd bar useless. Drawers aren't deep and are tiny so they aren't very useful either. I greatly prefer an actual closet ( DCL has two large ones side by side) and I miss the long cabinets of other lines. Also, you can do what you'd like but if prefer my pillow and bedding to not be stored on the floor under the bed ( yuck) and even if that was ok with me, that's where the empty suitcases are.

As for bedding, the pillows are the worst I've ever slept on, the sheets are ok- not terrible but not luxury by any means, the comforter/ duvet is softer and nice. Mattress is pretty good- but very hard I guess because brand new. Perhaps it's because we have a connecting stateroom but the walls seem very thin to me. Our next door neighbor lines to fall asleep with her tv on and she doesn't even have it loud but I can hear it as if it were on in our room.

Bedding stored under the bed is encased in a zippered plastic case, so not sure what the "yuck" is about?:confused:

I just returned from the cruise before this one and feel like Dave85, that we sailed on 2 different ships. I slept like a baby and felt the bed was very comfortable. I loved the cabin and enjoyed Dynamic Dining very much. I felt the complimentary dining was well above the traditional dining menu on the other ships. Everyone is different and mileage may vary for everyone, but if you go looking for things to complain about, you will find them.

Bedding stored under the bed is encased in a zippered plastic case, so not sure what the "yuck" is about?:confused:

No zippered plastic case to be found and, as I also mentioned, we have suitcases stored there so not an option.

Not sure why the weird "well, it was great for us" responses?! It's a review- it's a person's opinion. Perhaps we have different bedding standards, different likes in terms of a mattress and so on. My review to come will be just that- MY REVIEW. If it's helpful great. If not, no big deal.

Food has been great. A few "misses" but mostly all very good quality, nice variety. We are only eating in free venues. My biggest gripe about food is that lack of nighttime food. If you don't want bad pizza, you're out of luck. I'd like to see a grill added for late night to grab a burger or fries. The 24 hr pub on Breakaway is perfect for this.

Although we skipped CocoCay, it was a nice day. Kudos to Anthem for quickly putting in place a new daily schedule with additional activities. The pool area on this ship is the best of any. Absolutely wonderful. Great cold weather sailing ship.

I will agree about the lack of night time food options. Very disappointed that RCCL has added a fee to most hot items on the room service menu. The Breakaway really surpasses Anthem in that respect with their 24 hr pub O'Sheehans. RCCL has said the WJ would have a section open 24 hours but from what I saw on Quantum there wasn't much selection. I never went there after hours on Anthem. Can anyone comment on that?

I will agree about the lack of night time food options. Very disappointed that RCCL has added a fee to most hot items on the room service menu. The Breakaway really surpasses Anthem in that respect with their 24 hr pub O'Sheehans. RCCL has said the WJ would have a section open 24 hours but from what I saw on Quantum there wasn't much selection. I never went there after hours on Anthem. Can anyone comment on that?

On the recent Anthem TA, the Windjammer was closed after dinner. I'd read that there was supposed to be a 24 hour station there, but we never saw one; the doors were locked tight.