Drink Package Gratuities up from 15% to 18%

I hate ripoffs like that. Sometimes I don't get the service and want to tip according to me. They are going overboard. Why don't they pay the help? OH! That's right, it's easier to gouge the customer ahead of time as most don't have the nerve to complain about lousy service.

I hate ripoffs like that. Sometimes I don't get the service and want to tip according to me. They are going overboard. Why don't they pay the help? OH! That's right, it's easier to gouge the customer ahead of time as most don't have the nerve to complain about lousy service.

It's $1.47 per day, or less than $0.20 a drink. If you can afford a $400.00 or more drink package, than the extra $10.00 shouldn't break you.

I noticed this yesterday when I bought my soda packages on my upcoming B2B.

I wondered if they are raising the tip for onboard drinks.

This increase apparently happened on the 1st of February and has already been discussed here although the thread title doesn't reflect it.

According to that thread, Celebrity announced the increase to ALL drinks, prepaid or onboard. Pity that RCI didn't feel the need to inform its customers.

Perhaps someone onboard a ship right now can confirm if the gratuity for those that 'pay as they go' has been increased too.

Edited by icsys

Im expecting any time now to read that the regular daily gratuity amount will be increasing too.

I just started a thread about all the increases - drink gratuity up, daily gratuity for all stateroom categories up, dynamic dining going to mandatory pre-pay tips.

RCCL does not profit from this. The people serving your drinks do ;)

It depends if they give it all to the servers or not, and how long they keep it before they distribute it. I think it is a big stretch to proclaim that they do not profit from this unless you are an employee of the company and have first hand knowledge. It's certainly within the realm of possibility that they do profit in some way off this.

The opposite argument can be made too. The extra $1.47 per day should not break RCCL. Just saying

RCCL does not profit from this. The people serving your drinks do ;)

RCCL does indirectly, they don't need to give a wage rise,

What I believe he was referring to is that if RCCL increased their employees wages, rather than increasing mandatory gratuities, it would not break them.

Edited by icsys

Odds are the bartenders demanded a salary increase, RC's response give them the raise but make the customers pay for it by increasing the automatic gratuities on packages. RC didn't directly profit, but found a way to give raises without it costing them a penny.

So slightly off-topic, but someone mentioned in this thread that the daily gratuity would probably increase as well from the current $12 a day for non-suite staterooms. I was thinking this too, so this morning I went ahead and pre-paid my gratuities for my March trip. As of 30 minutes ago, it was still $12/day. If they increase that before my sailing, will I have to pay the balance onboard the ship? Or will I be paid up because I pre-paid before the increase?

thx,

jenny

Do you all know this for a fact, or is it just your opinion?

It is classified as a gratuity so rccl is not paying tax on it.... If they were pocketing it... It would be corporate tax fraud....

What, u think rccl is pulling one over on u?