Civitavecchia Temporary Drop Off Point

euro cruiser

• 2 weeks later...
The shuttle just takes you through the large and busy port to this aforementioned parking lot. You can then walk or take a bus for 1E to the train station.

We do so much walking when in Rome that I like to save my tootsies, I would probably opt for the bus but thankfully don't have to make that choice any time soon!

We are doing the TA on Celebrity Silhouette on Nov. 1 and will be dropping off our rental car at Europcar (19 Via Tarquinia), which appears to be right around the corner from the temporary shuttle bus stop on Via Turco. My question is...does that bus go to the ship or just to the train station?

Someone helpfully provided me with a link to this thread but not sure I can find it again, so if you have an answer to this question please email me at kshugart@cogeco.ca.

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Just hoping to clarify something having read the posts above. We are embarking/disembarking at Civitavecchia for our upcoming cruise. Am I right in thinking that on the way to the ship we can board the port shuttle at the stop pictured in post #64 if we want to, but when we disembark at the end of our cruise the port shuttle will just drop us off at the coordinates in post #1?

If the latter is correct, am I right that there is a local bus departing from the same stop that costs approx €0.80 per person that will take us to the train station? We've done the walk from the old port shuttle stop to the train station a couple of times when we overnighted in Civitavecchia on a previous cruise but this time there will be 5 of us, we'll have luggage and it's a longer walk from the new stop, so I think the bus is a better option.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can confirm/deny the above for me!

Just hoping to clarify something having read the posts above. We are embarking/disembarking at Civitavecchia for our upcoming cruise. Am I right in thinking that on the way to the ship we can board the port shuttle at the stop pictured in post #64 if we want to, but when we disembark at the end of our cruise the port shuttle will just drop us off at the coordinates in post #1?

If the latter is correct, am I right that there is a local bus departing from the same stop that costs approx €0.80 per person that will take us to the train station? We've done the walk from the old port shuttle stop to the train station a couple of times when we overnighted in Civitavecchia on a previous cruise but this time there will be 5 of us, we'll have luggage and it's a longer walk from the new stop, so I think the bus is a better option.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can confirm/deny the above for me!

We embarked and disembarked in Civitavecchia in September. I don't recognize the picture in #64. We stayed a block or so away from the shuttle stop at Hotel Traghetto. Google map shows an Europcar auto place near the shuttle stop.

The shuttle stop is for 1) the .8 euro city shuttle bus to the train station AND 2) the free port shuttle to your ship. The shuttle stop is a dirt lot with people staffing a table where you buy the ticket to go to the train station.

I would recommend buying the shuttle bus ticket for the train station before you go on your cruise so you don't have to stand in the ticket line after. Also, I would recommend buying your train ticket before your cruise from the tabacchi shop in the train station. They are not dated so when you are ready to board your train, you validate your ticket then.

It will be a madhouse when your ship disembarks and lots of people will have the same plans as you---take the port shuttle to the shuttle stop, buy a city shuttle bus ticket to the train station, get on the shuttle, buy a train ticket at the train station and board the train. We eyeballed the situation the morning before we were to embark. The train station was packed with people and luggage and frustration was mounting over figuring out how to use the ticket machines. There were a number of lines and lots of people didn't know if they were in the correct line or not.

Seeing all the chaos, we decided to buy our train tickets and our shuttle bus tickets BEFORE embarking on our cruise. Best decision ever!

We also took the slow train that left from track 2. We didn't have to go down stairs and up stairs to get to track 4 for the faster train because track 2 is just to the right as you come out of the station lobby. Check the schedule to see if a train into Rome will be departing from that track. It is so convenient if you have luggage to tow. I believe those trains start in Civitavecchia so you have a good chance of getting a seat. And, they are newer and nicer than the faster trains.

Edited by Senior Citizen

I would recommend buying the shuttle bus ticket for the train station before you go on your cruise so you don't have to stand in the ticket line after. Also, I would recommend buying your train ticket before your cruise from the tabacchi shop in the train station. They are not dated so when you are ready to board your train, you validate your ticket then.
Very good advice.

Bridgetjonesni,

I personally saw people boarding the shuttle at the stop pictured (& I assume you can because it clearly states "shuttle to cruise & ferries"). It would be nice to hear from those who have done this.

I have also wondered if the BIRGs are valid on the local buses (to include the one to the train station)....anyone know?

Enjoy Italy!!!

Edited by syesmar

We are taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia. I'm not 100% sure how we get from the train to our ship, but I'm hoping someone on the ground will help.

Shuttle bus or walk from train to port entrance and then shuttle to ship. Does that sound right?

Thanks for the advice everyone. The stop in the picture is closer to our hotel is all, so it would be easier to get on the shuttle there than to walk to the car park further away. Luckily we have a bit of time to play with so I think we'll take our chances with the pictured stop on the way to the ship, and if worst comes to worst and the shuttle drives past us for any reason (which it sound like it shouldn't anyway) we can always walk to the car park instead. Thanks again!

We are taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia. I'm not 100% sure how we get from the train to our ship, but I'm hoping someone on the ground will help.

Shuttle bus or walk from train to port entrance and then shuttle to ship. Does that sound right?

Yes, my understanding is that you can either walk or take a local bus from the train station to the stop at the coordinates in post #1, where the port shuttle will pick you up. It's not really the entrance to the port per se, but it's the drop off/pick up point for the shuttle, which is all you need anyway. I'm planning to print off a Google Map of the shuttle stop so I know where I'm going, or can at least show folks if we get lost and need directions. Enjoy your trip!

• 2 weeks later...

Please forgive me - but we are not at all familiar with the port and this is our first cruise. We are going to be staying in Rome the night before our cruise and would like to know the best way to get to the port from Fiumicino airport??? There are others in our party that would like to get private transfer, but we are not scared of walking (and we track our steps too.. as I read others do!!) and would just like to know if taking the train to the port is the best way. Once we get off the train- how far is it to the shuttles?

The shuttles take you to your ship?

Thank you for any and all help.

:o

In Sept/Oct, did cruise to/from Civitavecchia.

Took train from Rome Termini to the port.

There are several trains, some are regional with a few stops and take 1+ hours.

Took the fast train which only had 1 or 2 stops and took 40-45 minutes; but costs more.

At Civitavecchia train station, there is a paid shuttle bus to the entrance of the port main gate. We took a taxi, costing $20 euro as I t was our first time!!

At the entrance of the port main gate, there is free shuttle which takes you to port terminal.

On return, that when we saw the paid shuttle bus that takes you to train station for ~1 euro.

Enjoy the cruise!!!

I found this company (link below). They do a "Rome essential shuttle" which picks you up at the port, and returns you later in the day. I paid £20 per person, there are three of us, and for paying in full received 10% discount. That's £54 return for the three of us. I can't be bothered with the stress of hundreds of folk fighting for the shuttle from the train station to the port.

https://www.cruisingexcursions.com

We are going to be staying in Rome the night before our cruise and would like to know the best way to get to the port from Fiumicino airport??? There are others in our party that would like to get private transfer, but we are not scared of walking (and we track our steps too.. as I read others do!!) and would just like to know if taking the train to the port is the best way. Once we get off the train- how far is it to the shuttles?

"Best" is impossible to define, especially since we don't know what you value.

If cost is your primary concern, then the train is the best option. The station at Civitavecchia (on Viale della Repubblica) is just under one mile from the current port entrance/shuttle bus stop at the beginning of Via Turco.

Edited by euro cruiser

Please forgive me - but we are not at all familiar with the port and this is our first cruise. We are going to be staying in Rome the night before our cruise and would like to know the best way to get to the port from Fiumicino airport??? There are others in our party that would like to get private transfer, but we are not scared of walking (and we track our steps too.. as I read others do!!) and would just like to know if taking the train to the port is the best way. Once we get off the train- how far is it to the shuttles?

The shuttles take you to your ship?

Thank you for any and all help.

:o

We have sailed out of Civitavecchia many times. We started using RomeCabs in 2009, and have continued to use them exclusively for our transfers from Rome to Civi and Civi to Rome. Stefano is the owner of the company, and he is wonderful. We have booked private cars for just my husband and myself, as well as vans for groups of friends. We can highly recommend them.

• 7 months later...

Can anyone confirm if the port shuttle drops off and picks up at the fort at the port entrance?

or is it still from the temporary drop off (further away) in the car park?

Does anyone know if its possible to walk ( allowed , I have walked in the past)to the ship from the fort, if the stop is at the temporary stop it will be just as quick to walk from the train station to the ships as it is to the shuttle stop.

last time the wait in line in 35 degree heat was longer than the walk to the ship, as so many people were returing and the bus only went every 30 minutes :-(

Can anyone confirm if the port shuttle drops off and picks up at the fort at the port entrance?

or is it still from the temporary drop off (further away) in the car park?

Does anyone know if its possible to walk ( allowed , I have walked in the past)to the ship from the fort, if the stop is at the temporary stop it will be just as quick to walk from the train station to the ships as it is to the shuttle stop.

last time the wait in line in 35 degree heat was longer than the walk to the ship, as so many people were returing and the bus only went every 30 minutes :-(

On May 21st the drop off point was at the car park and not the fort. There was a bus (for a fee) to the train station. We walked from the drop off point to the station so don't know the charge for the bus.

Our cruise ended in Civi and we were docked in a different area of the port to where we have docked other time when just visiting. We were shown straight to the shuttle bus (free) and it would certainly have been quite a distance to walk in the event it was allowed. Sorry, don't know if walking is still allowed from the usual pier.