2 possible EBOLA patients on MAGIC

dramaqueenjan

I wouldn't't say its a hoax but it is not exactly a confirmed Ebola case either.

will be interesting to see how this develops...

http://belizean.com/belize-confirms-patient-with-ebola-symptoms-on-cruise-ship-off-its-coast-1814/

I don't know anything about the news outlet linked so I'm not sure of their credibility.

you can be SURE though that if this is confirmed it will be all over the news tomorrow.

I only currently see that story and the second one doesn't load for me.

Reading between the lines....

... A healthcare worker who handles a lab sample from Mr Duncan hopped on the cruise before a travel ban was put on those associated with Mr Duncan

... Nurse B travelled with a fever and scared everyone so a travel ban was slapped on all those exposed (as it should have been from the outset)

... The now cruising healthcare worker hears of this and out of caution self quarantines and notifies relevant authorities (both on and off ship)

... all hell breaks loose and even though exposure was 19 days ago and the passenger is showing no symptoms everyone is desperate to get her off the ship and off their hands

Personally I think this is an interesting blend of caution and hysteria. CDC should have put a ban on travel right from the outset but I think Carnival, the passenger and the US government have done the right thing here even though it will most likely prove to have been completely unnecessary. It's vital for public confidence that all possible risks, however remote, are dealt with promptly.

Reading between the lines....

... The now cruising healthcare worker hears of this and out of caution self quarantines and notifies relevant authorities (both on and off ship)

... all hell breaks loose and even though exposure was 19 days ago and the passenger is showing no symptoms everyone is desperate to get her off the ship and off their hands

alt with promptly.

The cruising health care worker wouldn't hear of the travel ban to self quarantine, they don't air negative news stories on cruise TVs..

The cruising health care worker wouldn't hear of the travel ban to self quarantine, they don't air negative news stories on cruise TVs..

Umm, Internet packages, port stops, so many opportunities to get news.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was assuming internet, text from family, friends or work, news sources off ship (port stops) etc. I recently spent almost three weeks travelling with part of that being on a cruise and had no trouble staying on top of what was happening in the world - which is a double edged sword considering I was sitting on a plane about to depart with a route over Eastern Europe when I heard that a plane flying a similar route had just been shot down.

Umm, Internet packages, port stops, so many opportunities to get news.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I stand corrected. :)

(I don't get the internet packages, I assumed media blackout was standard cruise mentality.)

The lab worker would have been contacted onboard; undoubtedly her friends and coworkers knew she had taken a cruise. Simple matter for CDC to find out which one and contact her on the ship. This is not a case of her, or anyone, just hearing the news; CDC is contacting everyone who dealt with Mr. Duncan or his lab samples. Edited by cherylandtk

I dont think carnival controls what CNN runs on TV. Yes they can blackout the channel while it has something negative on, but I don't really think they would take the time, until CNN is running a story all day today about The Magic carrying someone with the possibility of having Ebola. The last cruise I was on they kept running the story of Paul Walkers death, which doesn't affect me, but the 17 year old girl in the room next to me was devastated about it because she loved the fast and furious movies. I know thats a stretch but negative news is subjective. If we were both in the sports bar watching a game and The Cowboys beat the packers that could be great news to you and terrible news to me. Again a stretch but I hope you get my point

The last update from your own source:

"The passenger had voluntarily entered quarantine on board the ship and remains free of any fever or other symptoms of illness."

Thank god for that

It might all be an overreaction but the potential is enormous

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Common sense would tell me that if I were being required to self monitor for symptoms of Ebola, I should not be flying or cruising :rolleyes:

Common sense is an increasingly rare commodity nowadays.

I wouldn't be surprised though, if she did check with the CDC beforehand and was told it was fine. She never came into direct contact with Mr Duncan (as reported so far) so would have been considered low risk. Heck - they let one of the women who nursed him directly get on a plane.

More facts are needed before blame is apportioned.

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

totally agree. unbelievable that people in such a situation would think it was ok to board commercial aircraft or cruise ships.

a cynic would wonder if this is being done to spread concern to gain support to send more to the source of infection?