AC changed me to Rouge

calliopecruiser

I booked a ticket on an Air Canada flight YYZ-SAN that has since turned into a Rouge flight - and I don't want to fly AC Rouge. I'd like to cancel my ticket and get a refund, so I can book a different routing and fly AC instead (it won't be a nonstop, but it also won't be Rouge). It seems to me that these are legally different airlines - not just a change of airplane - and they shouldn't require me to keep my reservation (i.e. they should give me a refund) but I'm not sure how to go about it. Do I just call their reservation center? (I've always done everything on line and never called them for anything, LOL).

Good luck getting through to anyone at Air Canada. I've tried three times this week and the message keeps saying my wait time will be at least one hour and thirty minutes.

I'm not sure you'll have much luck if you do reach them. I believe Air Canada Rouge is similar to Air Canada Jazz in that it's a brand rather than a completely different airline. I suspect if you do reach them you'll be told they have the right to switch and you're stuck witt them.

I haven't flown on Rouge yet so don't know the actual differences between the planes (leg room / etc) and service. Googling the topic results in some interesting articles. That being said I'd probably still take a directly flight over one with a connection (just my opinion).

IMHO, you should be permitted to cancel. I agree with the OP that this is a material change which should allow for the cancellation. Last time we called AC the wait was 80 mins. This seems normal unless you are trying before / after the eastern time zone is calling.

Having said that, I would probably stay with Rouge. The aircraft is still the usual Airbus 319 that AC flies to SJ. The seating might have a closer pitch and your entertainment is on a pay basis to your own device. Other than that, I don't see much difference. We are scheduled to fly on Rouge from Dublin this coming Sept and when I compared the 767 outbound AC flight to London vs the Rouge 767 Dublin flight…… meh……no biggy to me.

A couple of years ago we flew with Westjet to / from SJ. There was no entertainment for 80% of the flight because they were out of satellite range. To me, everything else is quite similar to Rouge. JMHO

Edited by LiftLockCouple

According to my share holder report of two months ago AC Rouge is not a separate company nor is Jazz. They are both listed as "operating divisions" of AC. AC Vacations is listed ans a subsiduary company and is separate from AC. You can try to get your flt changed but I think AC could stand their ground on this one.

I don't see this as a whole bunch different than booking flight AC XXX from Vancouver to LA and ending up on a code share United Flt.

Looks as if the only nonstop flight for this routing is on Rouge. I wouldn't like this either, but I also wouldn't want to add up to five extra hours for this flight, simply to avoid Rouge. It's like the constant schedule changes and equipment swaps on UA. I started out on the Dreamliner to LHR, and then went through six different equipment swaps (including one the night before the flight) and seven schedule changes. Finally ended up on a much smaller plane, but sometimes it's just the way it is.

Personally, I'd stick with the nonstop. It's just not that long of a flight, and I assume you are in economy anyway. But, if you want to change, call AC and ask.

Edited by 6rugrats

I can see how it is kind of like a codeshare.......at any rate, it's over 5 hours and the pitch is 2" less on Rouge, which I think is significant. And there are those big WiFi things taking up the under-seat room beneath the aisle seats. But it is an extra 3 hours........

I'll think about the options; thanks for your input.

I can see how it is kind of like a codeshare.......at any rate, it's over 5 hours and the pitch is 2" less on Rouge, which I think is significant. And there are those big WiFi things taking up the under-seat room beneath the aisle seats. But it is an extra 3 hours........

I'll think about the options; thanks for your input.

Rogue is not a separate airline. Just a different brand that Air Canada.

Jazz Air is a separate company that operates as a sub-contractor to Air Canada.

If you are on Rouge and concerned about the extra leg room you may want to look at their premium economy option. I believe it is 35" so quite a bit more room.

As for switching to United. I don't think the pitch is much better that Rogue. Maybe an extra 1".

If you are on Rouge and concerned about the extra leg room you may want to look at their premium economy option. I believe it is 35" so quite a bit more room.

Yes, I did consider it, but it's also quite a bit more expensive -- over 3 times the price of my economy ticket. I've flown their Premium Economy service and it's not worth more than 3x the price, in my opinion. But at least I know what my options are now that I can think of Rouge like a division rather than a separate airline.

Hey Calliopercruiser,

I booked a United Award Ticket on Air Canada and they switched me to Rouge as well so when I found out the schedule changed I was able to switch to Lufthansa. Rogue does not serve any complimentary alcohol in Coach, you need to bring your own IPAD or Tablet to watch their Inflight Entertainment and their mileage earnings have changed as well. Depending on your fare you may earn less miles.

You may look to upgrade to their Premium Rogue which includes alcohol, better seats and better mileage earnings as well as access to the Maple Leaf Lounge.

Either way it sounds like you are stuck as Air Canada has been changing their mainline to Rouge. I would not fly on an airline that claims to be Low Cost when in reality for the same cost you can fly on a mainline carrier with more amenities and better mileage earnings

Hope this helps.

Hey Calliopercruiser,

Either way it sounds like you are stuck as Air Canada has been changing their mainline to Rouge. I would not fly on an airline that claims to be Low Cost when in reality for the same cost you can fly on a mainline carrier with more amenities and better mileage earnings

Hope this helps.

Air Canada is slowing switching all of the leisure destinations from their standard service to Rogue. The business destinations are staying with the normal aircraft. Unfortunately most of the cruise destinations are leisure.

Well, I just got off the phone with Air Canada; they actually have a nice call-back service when you phone them: Rather than staying on hold, they register your number and call you back - the auto-voice said I'd get called back in 2.5-3.5 hours, but in fact is was about an hour and a half.

With no argument and no surcharge, I was able to change my flight to a non-stop to LAX, and I'll drive from there. I am a happy long distance driver, and the cost of the vehicle is not much more than the cost of the preferred seat I considered purchasing on the Rouge flight. A little more, but worth it to me for the increased comfort and services.....If I'm paying the same amount for the flight, I want the extra few inches, the power outlet, and the video entertainment (Rouge was supposed to have their WiFi available for PCs, but apparently it's only working for Apple products).

I go annually to Las Vegas, and they've changed that route to Rouge too. Last year I was able to fly "business" class, but I don't know if that will be in the cards every year.

Good solution. Too bad AC no longer flies YYZ-SNA. That would put you an hour closer drive time to SAN.

Have you driven LAX to SD before? What day of the week and time do you arrive into LAX? And how much sightseeing (if any) do you want to do enroute?

Have you driven LAX to SD before? What day of the week and time do you arrive into LAX? And how much sightseeing (if any) do you want to do enroute?

I haven't done the drive in decades, since I lived in LA. How much sightseeing will depend on my mood when I get out of the LA basin traffic. I arrive just before noon (a Monday), so I should be in my car and out before the worst of it. And I have lots of audiobooks!

I haven't done the drive in decades, since I lived in LA. How much sightseeing will depend on my mood when I get out of the LA basin traffic. I arrive just before noon (a Monday), so I should be in my car and out before the worst of it. And I have lots of audiobooks!

I'd get on the road and as far south as Irvine, ASAP. Traffic starts to build around 330pm, so that will put it behind you. Then you have the option of shopping, the beach, or driving old US101 from Oceanside south.

FYI, there are HOV lanes from LAX all the way to San Clemente. There's also a very expensive toll road from Costa Mesa to Laguna Niguel. It is sometimes worth the toll when it bypasses a major problem on the freeway. However the OC toll roads go cashless in May, so be sure to prearrange things with the rental car company if you think you may use them.