First time taking teen daughter's friend

sdmike

Hi all. My daughter's 16yo friend will be joining us on a short LA/MX cruise on the Imagination next month. The Carnival agent said that we "normally don't need any extra paperwork" (what the heck does THAT mean?) to bring an unrelated minor, but we could "bring a note" if we wanted. Having sailed NCL and RCI numerous times I am familiar with parental consent forms required for doing this, but instead of me trusting an agent with vague information I thought I would check here.

Is there a parental consent form to do this with CCL? If not, do recommend a note from the parent? Notarized?

Thanks in advance

Hi all. My daughter's 16yo friend will be joining us on a short LA/MX cruise on the Imagination next month. The Carnival agent said that we "normally don't need any extra paperwork" (what the heck does THAT mean?) to bring an unrelated minor, but we could "bring a note" if we wanted. Having sailed NCL and RCI numerous times I am familiar with parental consent forms required for doing this, but instead of me trusting an agent with vague information I thought I would check here.

Is there a parental consent form to do this with CCL? If not, do recommend a note from the parent? Notarized?

Thanks in advance

I have never seen a Carnival specific form. When we have done this we used one of these two, and had it notarized (but I do not know if that is required)

http://www.*************.com/parental_consent.pdf

Site blocking preventing "vacations to go" in address (without spaces of course)

http://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/minor-travel-consent-form.html

Hope this helps.

I agree with bringing something notarized from parents even if they dont ask for anything, in addition to a medical authorization for medical treatment with the kids medical ins card. Make sure the medical insurance card is accepted outside of the country just in case (some of the hospitals outside the country may require payment up front before treatment).

We brought my daughters friend with us last year on a Princess cruise and while they didn't ask for anything at check in, when we returned, the Customs agent did ask for it and also for my daughters paperwork as my DH did not join us.

Thanks in advance

I would strongly suggest getting a notarized note not only giving you permission to take their child on the cruise but also one that authorizes you to give medical treatment if necessary - would be horrible to have something bad happen and have to wait til parents get there to begin treatment.... You can generally find these forms for free online and then your normal bank should be able to take care of notarizing for free

We have cruised 3 times with friends of my son. We bring a simple letter (see below) signed by their mother. We have only been asked to present it once. We do not get it notarized they were fine with it not notarized. We also take a medical form giving us permission to make medical decisions.

To whom it may concern,

I acknowledge that John and Jane Doe are traveling outof the country on the Carnival Pride with my son Robert Wilson, on July 10, 2016. They have mypermission to do so.

Becky Wilson

I agree with bringing something notarized from parents even if they dont ask for anything, in addition to a medical authorization for medical treatment with the kids medical ins card. Make sure the medical insurance card is accepted outside of the country just in case (some of the hospitals outside the country may require payment up front before treatment).

This. When we leave our kids with the grandparents for more than a weekend we do the above. We also have both of our names as well stating WE give consent.

I took my kids to Mexico last year over Thanksgiving as my wife had to work. The TSA agent asked where she was and I said "Someone had to stay home and care for our pets." Boy did he laugh and send us on our way. He then called out and asked me to have a Mojito for him. And I did!

My point is, if it's family it's fine. If the kids brought a friend I would have had and needed a letter then.

I would also suggest that they have a passport. While not required, I would hate to run into a situation where you needed to travel home mid cruise and only had a birth certificate for your daughters friend.

I would suggest anything you get in writing from their parents also be notarized and give you permission to make medical decisions.

Thanks for the additional input. I printed out a generic form that other user posted, and it includes both permission to take their daughter on the ship and permission for us to authorize any medical treatment. She will also be traveling with a passport and not a CDL.

Thanks again, and happy cruising