Parking and hotel.. Long Beach

mrgoaliedad

Hi,

We are driving from AZ. to Long Beach for a Carnival cruise. Should we go the night before and get a room somewhere? What about parking the car for 7 days?

Any suggestions? This is our first cruise.

You can leave it for free at hotel Maya and they take you to the pier and bring you back.

If you are wanting to stay the night before check into "Stay and Park" packages. I know the Best Western in Long Beach will let you leave your car parked there for the length of your cruise. The pricing includes accommodations the night before you set sail.

Isn't that quite a drive? The only times we don't get to our embarkation city at least a day ahead is when we're leaving from the port of LA, but that's just an hour's drive for us (and sometimes we've discussed staying by San Pedro before a cruise because we'll be closer). I can't imagine being pooped out the first day of a cruise after a long drive....and what if you have mechanical problems on the way?

Don't take a chance, drive over the day before and spend the night. There are so many things that could go wrong on the drive that could hold you up. We're driving over from Tucson for the fourth time in July. We tried Hotel Maya once, Queen Mary twice, and Hyatt Regency the last time. We loved the Hyatt so much, we're doing Park and Cruise with them again in July.

Don't take a chance, drive over the day before and spend the night. There are so many things that could go wrong on the drive that could hold you up. We're driving over from Tucson for the fourth time in July. We tried Hotel Maya once, Queen Mary twice, and Hyatt Regency the last time. We loved the Hyatt so much, we're doing Park and Cruise with them again in July.

We have cruised out of San Pedro but this will be our first timer cruising from LongBeach. We though about the Queen Mary because of how close it is to the port. What did you like about the Hyatt. We may stay 1 day after the cruise before flying back home. Is there a car rental near these hotels. Are there lots of things to do and eat near these hotels. Any info would be greatly appreciated

FYI the Best Western Golden Sails has normally done a park and cruise but I have called them and they said for the time we are sailing in May they are not offering that as they are going thru a sale and pricing is still to be determined. Call first.

Depending on your age and other situation, look to see if you qualify for any discounts. Then just stay at the hotel and park at the pier.

We have cruised out of San Pedro but this will be our first timer cruising from LongBeach. We though about the Queen Mary because of how close it is to the port. What did you like about the Hyatt. We may stay 1 day after the cruise before flying back home. Is there a car rental near these hotels. Are there lots of things to do and eat near these hotels. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Allow me to do a little comparison for you...

First, you will read suggestions for hotels like the Golden Sails, the Hotel Current and the Best Western Long Beach--largely because they are cheaper and offer "Park and Cruise" packages. The Golden Sails and the Current are in nice parts of Long Beach--but nowhere near the cruise port or the touristy section of Long Beach. They are okay if you are just looking for a place to stay the night, you have a car so you can drive everywhere and you are willing to take a long hotel shuttle ride to the ship and back. The Best Western Long Beach is in a "not very good" neighborhood of Long Beach, a little closer to the port, but still a bit away.

The Queen Mary is in a somewhat convenient location-right next to the Carnival Terminal. You have the free Passport shuttle to take you to restaurants across the channel in the downtown area. But I've never liked the QM--found it a little old and musty-smelling and below standards for a first class hotel nowadays--and I stayed there almost 39 years ago! Of late, there have been reports of it needing almost $300 million in repairs or face the immediate danger of springing leaks and/or sinking. So, I am not sure I would stay there. The Maya Doubletree is in that area as well, walking distance of the terminal (but they offer shuttles as well) and you can take the Passport across the bridge for restaurants. And the Maya usually offers a "Carnival Rate" on a park and ride that's a pretty good deal (you may have to call and ask for it).

Which brings me to my "A" list of the top hotels: Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Centric at the Pike, Renaissance, Westin. First of all, these four are the nicest hotels in town. First Class, luxurious. Second, google "hotels, long beach" and focus in on the downtown area where these four are located. Then google "restaurants". What you will discover is that these four hotels are in the prime tourist area of Long Beach. When I was a young kid, this area was pretty scuzzy--dive bars, tattoo parlors (in the days when tattoos weren't stylish and trendy and only sailors, criminals and convicts had tattoos), drunks, drug addicts, etc. Several years ago, the City of Long Beach built its convention center and spent a great deal of money redeveloping this area. They brought in first class hotels and restaurants, redeveloped theme shopping areas, bought and brought in the Queen Mary, built the world-class Aquarium of the Pacific...and they instituted the free Passport shuttle to allow visitors easy access around this area from attraction to attraction. The City has dedicated a larger portion of its police force to protect this area.

Those top four hotels put you in the heart of this area. You can walk (or take the shuttle) to a large number of nice restaurants, to the Aquarium or to nice little tourist shopping areas like the Pike or Shoreline Village...and through parks and yacht marinas. OTOH, if you want a "park and cruise" option, it will likely be a little on the pricey side...

And yes, your alternative is to stay wherever you want and pay $19 a day to park your car right at the terminal.

If you are interested in history, and a unique experience, then the Queen Mary is a fun place to stay. We had many problems the second time we stayed, including them moving my F-250 from its handicapped spot for the Scottish Festival. There was a lot of renovation going on and not many places to eat. We won't go back there.

We like the Hyatt Regency because they have a park and cruise package, it's a beautiful top-rated hotel, and if you upgrade to a concierge level room you get free dinner (including drinks) and breakfast in the concierge lounge. The parking is in the garage, which I also like.

It is not cheap, about $400 for a seven-day park and cruise package. But, I get gift cards through the reward program on my Capitol One credit card and I already have $300 toward it.

You will have to get a taxi from there to the port, which isn't a big deal.

If you are interested in history, and a unique experience, then the Queen Mary is a fun place to stay. We had many problems the second time we stayed, including them moving my F-250 from its handicapped spot for the Scottish Festival. There was a lot of renovation going on and not many places to eat. We won't go back there.

We like the Hyatt Regency because they have a park and cruise package, it's a beautiful top-rated hotel, and if you upgrade to a concierge level room you get free dinner (including drinks) and breakfast in the concierge lounge. The parking is in the garage, which I also like.

It is not cheap, about $400 for a seven-day park and cruise package. But, I get gift cards through the reward program on my Capitol One credit card and I already have $300 toward it.

You will have to get a taxi from there to the port, which isn't a big deal.

How do you book the Hyatt to get the best deal. What was offered for breakfast and dinner? What is within walking distance of the Hyatt? Thank you

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

If you go to their website, you'll see a lot of options for booking. Just the room is about $250, so adding the parking isn't that much more. There are several restaurants in the Hyatt, and you're within easy walking distance to many more.

I remember they had salads, soups, cheeses, and other items for dinner. I had more than enough to eat. The breakfast is especially nice. I believe it costs $50 more for the concierge level room, which is much cheaper then dinner and breakfast for two people, plus drinks.

• 5 months later...
Allow me to do a little comparison for you...

First, you will read suggestions for hotels like the Golden Sails, the Hotel Current and the Best Western Long Beach--largely because they are cheaper and offer "Park and Cruise" packages. The Golden Sails and the Current are in nice parts of Long Beach--but nowhere near the cruise port or the touristy section of Long Beach. They are okay if you are just looking for a place to stay the night, you have a car so you can drive everywhere and you are willing to take a long hotel shuttle ride to the ship and back. The Best Western Long Beach is in a "not very good" neighborhood of Long Beach, a little closer to the port, but still a bit away.

The Queen Mary is in a somewhat convenient location-right next to the Carnival Terminal. You have the free Passport shuttle to take you to restaurants across the channel in the downtown area. But I've never liked the QM--found it a little old and musty-smelling and below standards for a first class hotel nowadays--and I stayed there almost 39 years ago! Of late, there have been reports of it needing almost $300 million in repairs or face the immediate danger of springing leaks and/or sinking. So, I am not sure I would stay there. The Maya Doubletree is in that area as well, walking distance of the terminal (but they offer shuttles as well) and you can take the Passport across the bridge for restaurants. And the Maya usually offers a "Carnival Rate" on a park and ride that's a pretty good deal (you may have to call and ask for it).

Which brings me to my "A" list of the top hotels: Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Centric at the Pike, Renaissance, Westin. First of all, these four are the nicest hotels in town. First Class, luxurious. Second, google "hotels, long beach" and focus in on the downtown area where these four are located. Then google "restaurants". What you will discover is that these four hotels are in the prime tourist area of Long Beach. When I was a young kid, this area was pretty scuzzy--dive bars, tattoo parlors (in the days when tattoos weren't stylish and trendy and only sailors, criminals and convicts had tattoos), drunks, drug addicts, etc. Several years ago, the City of Long Beach built its convention center and spent a great deal of money redeveloping this area. They brought in first class hotels and restaurants, redeveloped theme shopping areas, bought and brought in the Queen Mary, built the world-class Aquarium of the Pacific...and they instituted the free Passport shuttle to allow visitors easy access around this area from attraction to attraction. The City has dedicated a larger portion of its police force to protect this area.

Those top four hotels put you in the heart of this area. You can walk (or take the shuttle) to a large number of nice restaurants, to the Aquarium or to nice little tourist shopping areas like the Pike or Shoreline Village...and through parks and yacht marinas. OTOH, if you want a "park and cruise" option, it will likely be a little on the pricey side...

And yes, your alternative is to stay wherever you want and pay $19 a day to park your car right at the terminal.

Great info! Thank you so much for posting, we will be there in March 2018. Do you know if full size SUV's pay more than $19 for parking.