ABC islands

RoadTripFanatic

In Aruba the beaches along Eagle and Palm Beach are very pretty, very safe, and there are great places to get a drink or a meal. The only downside is that the snorkeling is lousy as it is sandy. If you want to snorkel you need to go a little farther afield. A link to info is below. IMHO unless you are a diehard snorkeler I would spend the day at the beach and forego snorkeling. YOu can take a taxi or bus quite easily to Palm Beach (the area where the high rise hotels are located).

http://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/aruba-snorkeling.html

Did you know that Bonaire is the BEST place to snorkel?

Did you know that's highly debatable... and very dependent on conditions?

Bonaire is great though. Grab a water taxi near the port and head over to Klein Bonaire. For $15, it's a day that can't be beat. Save the car rental for Aruba and go to Mangel Halto:

xSnorkelingMangelHaltoMap.jpg.pagespeed.ic.XYBhMj_0c0.jpg

Its a quiet, local beach, easily reached by rental car. The actual reef is found outside the rocks, along the purple line. It's significantly better than either Catalina or Malmok. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Bonaire is INCREDIBLE diving and snorkeling for several BIG reasons.... shore access, the reefs are right there, and most sites have zero current!

South end of island, near the slave huts, have current, so I would stay away from those.

Bonaire.... shore access is very rocky, i.e. dead coral rubble. It will cut your feet up if you do not have on water shoes or booties for fins. Do invest in those.

Some sites have ladders to get into water, as do some of the hotel piers, but they do not like people using those if you aren't staying there.

All reefs are marked on land, right by the road, with a rock painted yellow and the name of the reef.

Here is a website (mainly for diving, but works for snorkeling too)

http://shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/index.htm

it should help.

How do you think Klein compares to West Bay in Roatan if you have been there? Roatan is our favorite place to snorkel.

They're both in the same league... living coral reefs. Klein has a steeper drop-off outside the reef, which wraps around the whole island... but there's nothing else there. That desolation, and the island's protected status, give it a bit of an edge when it comes to critters, but there's Nothing else there! I prefer Roatan (or Grand Cayman). There's something alluring to me about restrooms and tiki bars right at the reef. ;) Either way, nice weather and good visibility make all the difference.

They're both in the same league... living coral reefs. Klein has a steeper drop-off outside the reef, which wraps around the whole island... but there's nothing else there. That desolation, and the island's protected status, give it a bit of an edge when it comes to critters, but there's Nothing else there! I prefer Roatan (or Grand Cayman). There's something alluring to me about restrooms and tiki bars right at the reef. ;) Either way, nice weather and good visibility make all the difference.

:) Do you have any beaches you would recommend in Bonaire that have facilities and great snorkeling?

• 4 weeks later...

I have always had a wonderful time shore diving with The Dive Bus in Curacao. The name is a little misleading as you can walk across the street from their shop and dive their "house reef," Pierbaai, which was very good. They're also the friendliest yet most professional people I've ever done dive business with.

• 1 month later...

We're planning on diving in Bonaire, heading over to Hamlet Oasis (resort) and use the dive shop there to do a beach dive out back. Glad to see that car rentals are available.

Our second choice for diving on this cruise (Navigator January 2017) is Curacao instead of Aruba.

We're thinking of also beach diving it, maybe a boat dive to get out a little farther.

Anything that we should try to see? We are certified divers and are not so interested in snorkeling (maybe for surface intervals). Thanks

You can shore dive the Hilma Hooker - snorkel out to the buoys and then drop down 90 feet to the wreck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

very true... but the shore is very rough with waves and not an easy entry. Be careful!!! My first time doing this dive from shore I got hit by a wave and went face down hard, knocked my mask sideways and I didn't have my reg in my mouth.. ended up bouncing against the rocks and bottom for a couple of wave cycles and scratched the lens on my camera. Luckily, I didn't panic. I did the dive anyhow, got out and found I had a cut on my forehead and a massive headache. Good dive, we even saw a school of squid. Just watch out for that entry!

Also... ALL shore dives in Bonaire require that you have booties. The shore is mixed sand and ironshore, which is rough and can cut up your feet. There are some sandy shore entries, but they also have ironshore sticking up in spots.

• 2 weeks later...
We went with Woodwind in Bonaire for a nice drift snorkeling excursion in Bonaire.

https://www.woodwindbonaire.com

I second Woodwind! The best snorkeling excursion I have ever taken. The owners are amazing. I have an autistic son and she had the patience of gold with him. On the second spot we stopped I even went a bit on my own and felt totally comfortable leaving my 2 kids by her. She broke them down to 3 groups by experience!

very true... but the shore is very rough with waves and not an easy entry. Be careful!!! My first time doing this dive from shore I got hit by a wave and went face down hard, knocked my mask sideways and I didn't have my reg in my mouth.. ended up bouncing against the rocks and bottom for a couple of wave cycles and scratched the lens on my camera. Luckily, I didn't panic. I did the dive anyhow, got out and found I had a cut on my forehead and a massive headache. Good dive, we even saw a school of squid. Just watch out for that entry!

Also... ALL shore dives in Bonaire require that you have booties. The shore is mixed sand and ironshore, which is rough and can cut up your feet. There are some sandy shore entries, but they also have ironshore sticking up in spots.

All true re the shore dives on Bonaire but shore diving is what Bonaire is known for. The sea urchins one has to avoid upon entry and exit are an additional attraction supplied at no additional cost.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is the reason to scuba dive in Bonaire:

My video from my last land-based trip there...

and

the fishlife and wonderful reefs are just steps from the shore!

Robin, I love your videos! I have been wanting to get to dive Bonaire for many, many years. It is FINALLY on my schedule in 2018. I can hardly wait. :D

• 4 weeks later...

We went with scubacao.com in Cuaracao. They mostly do scuba but we got them to do a small group (6) for us and had a blast.

In Bonaire we did the Woodwind sail and snorkel. It would be hard to pick which of two were the best snorkeling we ever did anywhere (and I've snorkeled in a lot of places).

We went with scubacao.com in Cuaracao. They mostly do scuba but we got them to do a small group (6) for us and had a blast.

In Bonaire we did the Woodwind sail and snorkel. It would be hard to pick which of two were the best snorkeling we ever did anywhere (and I've snorkeled in a lot of places).

I just sent them a message to see what they can offer my group, thanks for the suggestion.

• 4 weeks later...