Captain Kevin Oprey's Swansong

Solent Richard

One of the most popular Cunard captains in recent times embarked on his last voyage on Saturday.

Captain Kevin Oprey joined Queen Mary 2 in Hong Kong on Saturday 1st April and is sailing Cunard's flagship home on the final legs of her 2017 World Cruise.

Friends onboard report a somewhat emotional 'Welcome Onboard' party earlier this week...

33674326012_963648160e_z.jpg

I well recall the first occasion I made Captain Oprey's acquaintance on his first voyage, a 24 night 'Grand New England' double crossing.

And his calm reaction to an emergency during a cocktail party when one of the auxiliary generators caught fire after we had exited the St. Lawrence River.

Probably his most famous picture of all time will be...

article-2575169-1C14BB5200000578-885_964x1332.jpg

I for one will miss him and his wife Cheryl onboard.

I hope that Captain Oprey will have a very pleasant retirement! Someone told me that when he's not Captaining QM2 he likes to spend time on his yacht. I imagine he will spend a lot more time yachting. He will be missed aboard QM2!

I wonder who will take Kevin Oprey's place as co-captain with Chris Wells? Didn't Wells come to QM2 from Queen Elizabeth?

I hope that Captain Oprey will have a very pleasant retirement! Someone told me that when he's not Captaining QM2 he likes to spend time on his yacht. I imagine he will spend a lot more time yachting. He will be missed aboard QM2!

I wonder who will take Kevin Oprey's place as co-captain with Chris Wells? Didn't Wells come to QM2 from Queen Elizabeth?

Captain Wells' command previous to Queen Mary 2 was indeed Queen Elizabeth though he had extensive experience of QM2 via his engagement during the building of the ship and as the first staff captain, l think. He also commanded her briefly before switching to the new build Queen Elizabeth.

Unofficial chatter l have heard is that Captain Thorhauge will be switching to QM2 but that can no doubt be confirmed or denied by those who post here who are closer matters.

M-AR

As we embark this Saturday I expect we will hear him. He disembarked in Sydney ? shortly after that photo which was taken in Indonesia and Captain Wells took over command.

On QM2 Syd to HK recently, we never saw Capt Wells, we did not go to the welcome on board party, why would you? 1000 odd pax fighting for a 'free' drink, been there done that. In 16 days on board hardly saw an officer on the decks or in public rooms let alone the Captain. No officer/senior staff attended the CC M&G either, although I did invite them !! Via the Pursers Office.

But if one snuck around the ship, i.e. the Verandah pay eatery and the Grills restaurants, one could see the officers along with their wives/girlfriends, they knew where the good tucker was !!! No Britannia/Steerage tucker for them. :evilsmile: What ever happened to ye olde British Liner tradition of officers mixing with the passengers?

Anyway, getting back to the topic before I get keel hauled again. Good luck to Capt Oprey, happy retirement.

Have a good cruise Pushka.

I've always ended up seeing Captain Oprey and his wife Cheryl out and about around the ship quite often, including inside the Britannia Restaurant and Kings Court. I have not seen Captain Wells out and about quite as often, though every occasion I have had to chat with him, he has been very pleasant, and he seems to have quite the sense of humor. I have heard many good things about Captain Thorhauge from the Queen Elizabeth, hopefully the rumors of her transferring to QM2 are true.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on QM2 from HKG to SIN, since we heard this was Kevin;s last voyage we made a point of having our photo taken with him at the Captains party, we told hime that this was our 4th QM2 voyage and he had been Captain each time, to which he said "I'm sorry about that" - always a dry wit! We waited for Mary to sail from Singapore in order to hear the whistles sound from afar, she was 1.5 hours late sailing and no departure whistle, nor Hong Kong but it does occur in other ports like Brisbane, Auckland, Southampton that we have departed from, is the whistle sounding down to the local port authority?

We were on QM2 from HKG to SIN, since we heard this was Kevin;s last voyage we made a point of having our photo taken with him at the Captains party, we told hime that this was our 4th QM2 voyage and he had been Captain each time, to which he said "I'm sorry about that" - always a dry wit! We waited for Mary to sail from Singapore in order to hear the whistles sound from afar, she was 1.5 hours late sailing and no departure whistle, nor Hong Kong but it does occur in other ports like Brisbane, Auckland, Southampton that we have departed from, is the whistle sounding down to the local port authority?

What a lovely comments and so true about Captain Oprey's wit.

Perchance you took that photo from atop the Marina Bay Sands...

32434273254_8d930d819d_z.jpg

Unfortunately there were no Cunard ships around when I stayed there in March but I did grab this one...

32894236050_44ec59d86e_z.jpg

Indeed. We were staying there so it's taken from the residents pool.

Thanks for the great helicopter pictures, sorry to hear about the noro. Hope you stay well and the precautions aren't too inconvenient.

Thanks for update and photos, Pushka. Noro on QM2? Who is not doing washy, washy at the food areas and toiletten?:evilsmile:

I hope you all do not have to go into quarantine when you arrive at ye olde Southampton Docks.

Yes. Noro on QM2. The majority of passengers were British - over 1200 and then Aussies at 200. And a mix of the rest. The announcement kind of inferred some crew had it. Canapés removed from bar service. Not sure the logic. They could have given individual small plates. Glad wrap over the buffet. One goof ball tried to push his hand through. No salt and pepper shakers. No self service anywhere. Buffet was deserted at disembark and main dining room packed at breakfast with a long queue well after it was supposed to close. Glad it was the last day of the cruise. Everyone had the cold though.

1247acb30787e4bdd61e054030f94b70.jpg

Yes. Noro on QM2. The majority of passengers were British - over 1200 and then Aussies at 200. And a mix of the rest. The announcement kind of inferred some crew had it. Canapés removed from bar service. Not sure the logic. They could have given individual small plates. Glad wrap over the buffet. One goof ball tried to push his hand through. No salt and pepper shakers. No self service anywhere. Buffet was deserted at disembark and main dining room packed at breakfast with a long queue well after it was supposed to close. Glad it was the last day of the cruise. Everyone had the cold though.

1247acb30787e4bdd61e054030f94b70.jpg

Hi Puska, thanks for the photos the RN Choppers - nicely done:)

Hope you didn't catch the cough (a/k/a Cunard Crud).

Salacia

Hi Puska, thanks for the photos the RN Choppers - nicely done:)

Hope you didn't catch the cough (a/k/a Cunard Crud).

Salacia

Thanks Salacia. Unfortunately I did catch it. It's awful. I still have it four days later. Longest cough ever and it's a nasty cough at that. Quite debilitating when in a coughing jag.

• 3 weeks later...

I see QM2 is back in Southampton today. I presume this is the end of Captain Oprey's last voyage as Captain. Is Cunard doing anything for him to celebrate his retirement? I hope he will enjoy his retirement!

Is Captain Well's coming aboard for the New York trans Atlantic crossing, and has there been any announcement about a new captain joining QM2?

Chris Wells will be joining her today and Peter Philpott will be the "new man" for QM2.

Do you know how long Captain Wells will be on duty? We are on the QM2 in July, looking forward to his daily announcements :D

Coughs are well known throughout all cruise lines due to air conditioning on one particular P&O ship they call it Arcadia cough.

And it was called the 'Arcadia Cough' when we were on in it 2012 - Sydney to Southampton. Half the ship came down with it.

Now the Cunard Cough is much more upmarket, that was on QM2 recently. I got it.:evilsmile:

And it was called the 'Arcadia Cough' when we were on in it 2012 - Sydney to Southampton. Half the ship came down with it.

Now the Cunard Cough is much more upmarket, that was on QM2 recently. I got it.:evilsmile:

A more 'Formal' cough?