Bonine Question

Bonine seems to upset my stomach when taken during the day. Any advice out there? Should I take at night?

This is a question to ask your health care professional. Not a message board that doesn't know your health care history.

there are some prescriptions you can get however they usually come with a long list of side effects, and the blurred vision is one of the most awful side effects we have experienced with prescription motion sickness remedies! we stick with bonine as well.

I would DEFINITELY try ginger pills with the bonine. They REALLY work in calming the stomach. sometimes we can even get by without the bonine altogether, just using the ginger pills to treat motion sickness. However I have definitely heard to take the bonine at night before bed, and also start the pills 1-2 days before the trip to let your body adjust.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

However I have definitely heard to take the bonine at night before bed

I had a bad experience with that one. On my first cruise, and on the first night to boot, the ship was rocking heavily enough that I got worried about motion sickness, despite getting it only twice in my whole life until then. So I took a dose of meclizine (generic Bonine) that I packed as a precaution. It gave me really VIVID dreams, with multiple layers (dreams within a dream) and dramatic plot lines. When I woke up, I briefly forgot I was on a cruise, and it took me a few minutes to figure out where I was. I didn't take meclizine for the rest of the cruise. And I didn't even bother packing it for my second cruise, since I don't really need it.

Of course, the "generous" amounts of alcohol I drank throughout the evening almost up until bedtime might have been to blame. So if you're not a big drinker, my story is largely irrelevant. Still, I learned the hard way that alcohol and Bonine/meclizine don't mix. Has anyone else had vivid dreams from Bonine/meclizine, with or without alcohol?

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I've only been ill once on a cruise - that was crossing the BoB in December. Sea bands and my usual oral medication were not enough to stop it and I spent a miserable 36 hours until we had crossed the bay :(

We are crossing the BoB again next month and I am hoping it will be calmer. If not, I will be straight down to the med centre for a jab as I am not prepared to feel that unwell again!

OP, it can take a bit of trial and error to find out what works for you. I would say try Sea Bands and ginger, have your bonine to hand (take it routinely if you think you need to) and bear the med centre in mind if you are trueley feeling awful. Hopefully you will not need any of it! :)

When you feel sick you need a med that will absorb straight away not like a tablet you are likely to throw up

The doctor gives you intra muscular injection if metacroplamide

You can get this in wafers and absorbs straight in from under your tongue

Try that. And some sea sickness med that suits you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Remember when it comes to Sea Bands it only works for some people and that is what the manufacturer says.

As to Bonine, according to the manufacturer you can take it with or without food. Try it next time with food but remember not with alcohol. If you still have a problem then try another one and even trying a product that is similar might be okay such as Dramamine. I realize that it has similar ingredients but I think many of us have found over the years that one item might upset our stomachs while a similar items does not.

Keith

I'm another fan of the Sea Bands. No side effects, just put them on and go. Since I discovered them I no longer use anything else.:)

Picked up a box of the bands. have not read the directions yet but are you supposed to wear BOTH of them or just 1?

Michael

Picked up a box of the bands. have not read the directions yet but are you supposed to wear BOTH of them or just 1?

Michael

I'll pass along the best advise I got in the Army . . . When in doubt consult the manual. ;)

The answer to your question (just in case you didn't get around to reading the instructions) is that you wear them both, one on each wrist. You make sure they are on your pulse point and you should be fine. As I said earlier, since I discovered them I no longer use prescription pills or patches. No fear of drowsiness or having to remember to take something prior to cruising.:)

Edited by Carnival Cutie
changed phrase

Bonine seems to upset my stomach when taken during the day. Any advice out there? Should I take at night?

Ask your doctor as it shouldn't upset your stomach.

Do you take it right after a meal with lots of liquid? If not, maybe this is the issue?

When/how do you take it? If you feel sick already, the stomach upset may come from sea sickness, not Bonine.