Tulum Mayan Ruins

CFENNY

We are first time cruisers and will be traveling with our 6 year old son. I've always wanted to tour Mayan ruins. I'm trying to decide if the tour is suitable for a 6 year old or if he will be bored to death. It is a 7 hour tour. Are you able to climb the ruins? Thank you!

I haven't been on this tour! So take what I say with a grain of salt!

I feel Iike every review I read of a Cozumel > Tulum excursion sounds like a LOT of travel and frustration for very little time at the ruins. I've come away with the impression that you're better off doing the ruins via land travel.

There are some small ruins on Cozumel itself.

Like I said, I haven't been to Tulum so you should weigh replies from people who have been more highly than mine.

I haven't been to Tulum but have been to Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Dzib, Xcambo, etc. The trip to Tulum from Cozumel seems like such a long long day with most of it spent in travel time. The ferry ride to the mainland can also be rough depending on the weather. Coz has some small ruins such as San Gervasio which are located half way across the island. We had a private driver take us there a few years ago and spent about 30 minutes there then went to the east side of the island.

We took my 10 year old son over to the main land from Cozumel 2 years ago. The ferry ride was rough with the majority of the folks vomiting, including him. I will never book a tour off the island of Cozumel again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are first time cruisers and will be traveling with our 6 year old son. I've always wanted to tour Mayan ruins. I'm trying to decide if the tour is suitable for a 6 year oldNO! or if he will be bored to death. YES! It is a 7 hour tour. Are you able to climb the ruins? NO! Thank you!

I would never book this tour with a six-year old. Not sure I would book it with a 26 year old. :( All day of travel for only a short time at the ruins.

Might try the ruins on Coz - this is a small site but it's worth the effort and there are some spots there where you can scramble about. Lots of iguanas for a 6 year old to look at. Take some bug repellent and water. Afterwards hit a beach club.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Tulum ruins are fantastic but I would not recommend that excursion with your child being so young.

My wife and I did it a few years ago, but we enjoy seeing Mayan ruins. We have seen Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Kohunlich, and Lamanai. The ferry ride was bumpy but we enjoyed it.

You might enjoy seeing the slide show my wife made for her website from some of the pictures she took on the Tulum shore excursion. The ferry can be seen in picture 4. We booked our excursion through the cruise line. We were on Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas on that cruise.

Tulum Shore Excursion

A cruise is a great way to spend your time together. Have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Best Mayan ruins are in Belize, in my opinion, Altune Ha. Tulum is nice enough but it is a thirty minute ferry ride, then another thirty, forty minute drive to get to it....lots of waiting, and like others have said, not really great for a little guy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I went to the Tulum Ruins in 2000 on an ship (Carnival) booked excursion. I remember walking through an area with a lot of sand (not a beach) either to get to the ruins or or at the ruins site. In all the pictures I've seen there appears a lot a grassy areas. I don't remember seeing grassy areas. Has this changed over the years?

We are cruising in October to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize and Mahogany Bay.

For those who have been to multiple ruins, which do you like the best?

• 3 weeks later...
The Tulum ruins are fantastic but I would not recommend that excursion with your child being so young.

My wife and I did it a few years ago, but we enjoy seeing Mayan ruins. We have seen Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Kohunlich, and Lamanai. The ferry ride was bumpy but we enjoyed it.

You might enjoy seeing the slide show my wife made for her website from some of the pictures she took on the Tulum shore excursion. The ferry can be seen in picture 4. We booked our excursion through the cruise line. We were on Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas on that cruise.

Tulum Shore Excursion

A cruise is a great way to spend your time together. Have a wonderful cruise.

Did you do the tulum and beach excursion? If so how long is spent at tulum and how much on the beach?

Did you do the tulum and beach excursion? If so how long is spent at tulum and how much on the beach?

The tour we were on did not include the beach. I think it was called something like Tulum Express. It's been a few years since we were there, but I seem to remember being at the site for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Before I booked the tour, I compared the difference in time between the Express tour and one that included the beach and saw there was only about 1/2 difference, however that may have changed since we were there.

We saw a wooden staircase that led down to the beach and it was packed with people trying to get down and trying to get back up. So, if we had gone on the tour that included the beach, we would not have had much time to enjoy it.

Hope this answers your questions.

I've been to Tulum twice, once from Cancun, once (long ago) from a cruise ship. It's a beautiful site but for most 6 year olds probably not worth all the traveling.

You can no longer climb on the ruins. The ferry ride often is very bumpy; that ride was one of the very few times I got seasick, in fact, all four of us did. I would not take that ferry again.

After that it is quite a long bus or car ride to Tulum. It is also usually very, very hot and not much to do for children unless you have time to go the the small but beautiful beach. Most kids just don't do well with sightseeing.

The very hot part is what I would be concerned with the most. Been there once and I definitely remember being hot and thirsty. Plus the beach there was picture perfect!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It was very hot when we were there a few years ago. After we reached the top of the hill we felt a nice breeze as we viewed the beautiful beach below.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Like! I did the same thing! The view is great from up there. Unfortunately the area around the ruins is extremely hot.

Let me add that the ruins are well worth it so I don't want to discourage anyone from going there. Just be prepared and you'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
We are first time cruisers and will be traveling with our 6 year old son. I've always wanted to tour Mayan ruins. I'm trying to decide if the tour is suitable for a 6 year old or if he will be bored to death. It is a 7 hour tour. Are you able to climb the ruins? Thank you!

It's a long day, and the day after I probably wouldn't have recommended it. But 10 months later I treasure the entire trip and the experience of traveling thru the parts of Mexico most cruise ship passengers don't see.

The ferry is ok if you are in the middle, a little worse than tenders. Get some non drowsy Dramamine if you're worried or prone to sea sickness. I am, and got more sick on the underwater scooters than the ferry.

You get some time to explore and walk the paths, no climbing. We brought packaged crackers from the ship and a large liter bottle of water for each person. Yeah it's hot, you're in the Caribbean.

Have a great cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

Tulum Shore Excursion

My husband and I were in Tulum 30 years ago and the site was not nearly excavated as it is in your lovely pictures. At the time they did not have all the walkways either and you were allowed to go into the ruins.

My husband and I were in Tulum 30 years ago and the site was not nearly excavated as it is in your lovely pictures. At the time they did not have all the walkways either and you were allowed to go into the ruins.

It must have been quite an adventure to see the ruins back then. It's disappointing to not be able to go inside the ruins now, but I understand the reasons behind that.

Thanks for viewing my wife's pictures. Happy cruising wherever you go next.