Deciding between 3 cruise lines for Honeymoon

badaboom423

So I'm getting married on January, we're both 24 and we were looking at cruises going to the Western Caribbean. The 3 I found that are on my budget are:

Norwegian Epic (Norwegian Cruise Line)

Carnival Splendor (Carnival Cruise Lines)

MS Nieuw Amsterdam (Holland America Line)

Does anyone have any knowledge on what would be the best one for my honeymoon? Any help would be very appreciated!

Can't speak from experience unfortunately, but Carnival Splendor has the Cloud 9 spa rooms which look pretty dang awesome! You get unlimited access to the spa amenities like the Thalassotherapy pool. :-)

The one Carnival cruise we were on was super fun; we loved the food, the Serenity deck was our default meeting space, and it wasn't overly crowded anywhere we went.

If they aren't all the same you may want to also consider the ports of call, and which ones are more to your liking from one ship to the next.

Generally speaking, HAL will have an older clientele, and not as much active nightlife as the other two. However, if either of you are smokers, by the time you sail, HAL will be the only remaining line sailing in North America to allow smoking on their balconies. (Of course, this could change between now and then...). EM

So I'm getting married on January, we're both 24 and we were looking at cruises going to the Western Caribbean. The 3 I found that are on my budget are:

Does anyone have any knowledge on what would be the best one for my honeymoon? Any help would be very appreciated!

Just based on your age, I would choose the Epic...she has 24 dining options & great shows & entertainment...HAL is much older passenger age ( I was on HAL at 54 yrs. old & we were 25 yrs. younger than the average passenger!!).. Carnival is OK, but I would cruise one of the Dream class ships ( Dream ,Magic or Breeze) , not the Splendor...also Epic is 155,000 tons vs. 86,000 HAL and Splender 110,000 tons...much more for young people like you to do..I am a cruise agent as well as a cruiser ( 29 cruises on RCI, Carnival, NCL,HAL,Princess, Disney & Celebrity)...I would send a young couple on RCI or NCL first, then Celebrity..Disney is great, but much more $$ and few couples...Princess is nice, BUT older crowd, though not as old as HAL...all are good, but some are better than others for a honeymoon at your ages...also, make sure you try & book a balcony...you don't want to stay in a broom closet for a week and miss out on "feeling" like you're on a cruise...a balcony changes your whole experience on a cruise from darkness to sunshine, salt air, waves, sunsets, moonlight, romance, chiilin' with a drink watching the birds, dolphins swim alongside below, most of all, you FEEL like you're on a cruise- in an inside cabin, you feel like you're in a broom closet, and part of nothing...if you don't believe me, read my thread in the "cabin selection tips" section at the top of the boards page..then look for "Thanks, Cruise Ship Balcony, a commentary.."..it has gotten over 20,000 views and 200 replies- many from people who switched from insides to balconies and now will NEVER go back..if you decide to book a balcony, either print it out or take notes & bring with you, as others have- you won't regret it! Anymore info needed on ideas, let me know..I'm 17 yrs. in the business...

Big Al

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I had my honeymoon on board the Celebrity Eclipse 2 years ago and it was unforgettable... We were 23 and 26. If Celebrity could be a valid option, I would recommend it. Almost no kids on board, relaxing atmosphere, it was great. If not, I am sorry but I can't help you :(

That's an odd mix of choices, but between those 3, I recommend the Epic. I'm just basing that on your age and it being your honeymoon.

But I'm curious. Have you looked at Celebrity or Royal Caribbean? What about Princess. Surely there is something comparable in price.

HAL is a great line but as 24 year old honeymooners unless you have old souls, you are not it's target market. Save that line for your Ruby or Golden Wedding anniversary.

I have never sailed Carnival & love NCL. I suspect they are more alike then different. I'd pick the one that was a better value.

Congrats!

We did a honeymoon cruise to the Western Caribbean on the Carnival Conquest out of New Orleans in Oct. of 2013. IT WAS AWESOME! Ours was the 7 day - Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel itinerary.

Like everyone else has said, we don't really know much about you so it's hard to say but I can tell you a little about us and our Carnival cruise.

We were 29 and 26 when we got married. My husband and I are high-energy. We live an hour from the beach and love being outside. Big sports people etc. I honestly don't care much about the on-board entertainment and I literally think my husband would rather climb a cactus than go to a show! We love the lido deck and the sea days. I thought Cozumel would be my least favorite port and as it turned out I LOVED IT! I think part of this was due to bad choices for excursions at the other two. We played golf at a resort in Jamaica (his choice) and booked a resort for a day package in Cayman @ the Westin. That turned out to be about the most boring 6 hours I've ever spent on a beach. I looked down at all the people who were on the public beach who had gotten off the ship and kicked myself for paying as much as we did for that excursion.

The moon was our first cruise and we JUST booked another out of Jacksonville for January. I cannot speak on behalf of the other lines you mentioned and I dont have the vast cruising knowledge that many on this site do. I can only say do research and think about what is most important to you. Is it the itinerary, the ship, price, the departure port etc, etc...

also, make sure you try & book a balcony...you don't want to stay in a broom closet for a week and miss out on "feeling" like you're on a cruise...a balcony changes your whole experience on a cruise from darkness to sunshine, salt air, waves, sunsets, moonlight, romance, chiilin' with a drink watching the birds, dolphins swim alongside below, most of all, you FEEL like you're on a cruise- in an inside cabin, you feel like you're in a broom closet, and part of nothing...if you don't believe me, read my thread in the "cabin selection tips" section at the top of the boards page..then look for "Thanks, Cruise Ship Balcony, a commentary.."..it has gotten over 20,000 views and 200 replies- many from people who switched from insides to balconies and now will NEVER go back..if you decide to book a balcony, either print it out or take notes & bring with you, as others have- you won't regret it! Anymore info needed on ideas, let me know..I'm 17 yrs. in the business...

Big Al

If they're trying to save money, I'd definitely recommend a window room versus an inside. But yes, if you can afford a balcony, most definitely go for the balcony. Then the a port hole room, than the inside room as a last resort.

what type of cabin are you also looking at. Could be a big difference in cabin size with each ship you are looking at.

I agree with the other posters about HAL being too old for you.

I do disagree that Princess has an older cliental and I was very afraid to take my first cruise with princess since everything i was reading was telling me its full of old people nothing to do at night. food is bland for the older people.. and I found NOTHING along the line to be true.

Actually Princess is by far my favorite line as we were totally wow'ed from the moment we boarded. We have sailed Caribbean, Ruby and Crown.

I did price out Princess for February and it was not in the budget so i started looking at Splendor which is much more in my budget

AHOY SHIPMATES,

HAL is for older people but the STAFF is so friendly that it is always a pleasant trip. Medium price, average food but Very slow service.

CARNIVAL is LEAST expensive, Great STAFF, good food, good service, much younger passengers, average entertainment, and plenty of things to do.

HAL for long cruises.......Carnival for shorter ones.

PERSONAL OPINION....I wouldn't go on RCL again if they paid me.