Venice People Mover experience

aqua

I had read that using the People Mover to travel from Piazzale Roma to the pier was very easy. Although the logistics were not difficult, it was not a good experience. The distance covered by the People Mover was rather short and we had to walk another 1/2 to 3/4 mile to the ship. While that is not a long distance, it was far with luggage in the poorly marked port. We could see the ship but it was hard to find the luggage drop off location.

I heard a couple vigorously complaining to the Nieuw Amsterdam desk about their experience. They thought that HAL should have warned them about the difficulties. While I don't agree that it is HAL's responsibility, I understand why the couple was so upset.

After boarding, we returned to Venice via the People Mover. That was fine because we didn't have suitcases and knew where we were going.

Interesting observation. We were there in Sept 2012 and did find the route to/from the people mover not well marked but in the fall of last year found a great improvement in the directional signage. Yes, there is a bit of a walk and that varies depending which dock your ship is at but for anyone with reasonable mobility it is not horrendous. I have pushed Dudette in her wheelchair to and from the people mover several times without issue.

We had read of the problem of getting from the People Mover to the ship and were pleased to see Celebrity had a shuttle bus to the Silhoutte on Sept. 23rd. The Princess passengers were having to walk, but Princess did have someone there giving directions.Way to go Celebrity!

We had read of the problem of getting from the People Mover to the ship and were pleased to see Celebrity had a shuttle bus to the Silhoutte on Sept. 23rd. The Princess passengers were having to walk, but Princess did have someone there giving directions.Way to go Celebrity!

Aug 2013, princess had a shuttle bus right at the exit from the People Mover. We were not expecting this and pleasantly surprised. I think it is a matter of timing, the buses are there at peak boarding/checkin times and go back and forth. We overnighted in Venice and I did not see bus on the second day when we went out touring - we had to walk both ways to the ship and glad we had no luggage.

I don't think you can blame the problems on the People Mover. It is what it is. It gets you from PR to the dock area. Where your ship is after that - the walk from (or to) the ship from the People Mover could be long, especially if you have a lot to bring with you.

I found the signage horrible when I was last there (two autumns ago.) I could see the People Mover in the distance from the ship, but no way to understand how to get to it. There were newish-looking but seemingly empty buildings along the way. A strange walk across a parking lot, all just heading towards the overhead structure I could see in the distance.

It's not very well-done. However, if Venice bans cruise ships from parking where they have near the city, it will all be moot.

However, if Venice bans cruise ships from parking where they have near the city, it will all be moot.

I would not worry about that happening in the near future. When we visited a couple of times ago in 2007, there was talk and when we visited last year, there still was the same talk.

HAL had the same thing on our trip last summer. It is quite a walk with luggage if there is no bus.

Princess had a bus waiting at the end of the people mover that brought us right up to the luggage check in

Of course we would have just walked if they weren't waiting for us as we only do a tote and 21 inch each regardless of length and princess has free self serve laundry.

I didn't know to expect the bus and it was a welcome surprise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I bet that princess rep was only giving them directions because they didn't want to wait for the next princess shuttle in maybe 20 minutes

Thank you but we didn't come from the airport. We came to Venice a day before the cruise so we used the People Mover to travel from the area near our hotel to the ship.

I did not start this thread as a complaint about the People Mover. I wanted to let travelers know that getting to the ship may not always be as easy as some cruisers have reported. As the posts show, there are a variety of positive and negative experiences.

Thank you but we didn't come from the airport. We came to Venice a day before the cruise so we used the People Mover to travel from the area near our hotel to the ship.

I did not start this thread as a complaint about the People Mover. I wanted to let travelers know that getting to the ship may not always be as easy as some cruisers have reported. As the posts show, there are a variety of positive and negative experiences.

Is there a better alternative? From what I have gathered by reading various threads perhaps a water taxi from the airport?

Both times I cruised out of Venice with Princess, there was a free transfer bus for embarking pax waiting very close to where we got off the People Mover. There was also a small truck with a trailer there to transport our bigger luggage to the ship, and we never saw our bags again till they arrived in our cabins.

Princess does take care of us pax!!

Used the People Mover this summer. (TIP: If you don't have Euros and plan to use a card, make sure it's a chip-and-pin....my chip-and-signature didn't work....best to have Euros). We, too, had quite the trek to our HAL ship (although another HAL ship was very close to the People Mover).

I've asked about an alternate route to San Marco Square, via Tronchetto, in this previous Thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2095361&highlight=tronchetto

While I recommend the People Mover if you have luggage, I am curious about the bridge....I saw a number of people walking this route. How long of a walk is it from the bridge to P Roma?

Thanks!

Used the People Mover this summer. (TIP: If you don't have Euros and plan to use a card, make sure it's a chip-and-pin....my chip-and-signature didn't work....best to have Euros). We, too, had quite the trek to our HAL ship (although another HAL ship was very close to the People Mover).

I've asked about an alternate route to San Marco Square, via Tronchetto, in this previous Thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2095361&highlight=tronchetto

While I recommend the People Mover if you have luggage, I am curious about the bridge....I saw a number of people walking this route. How long of a walk is it from the bridge to P Roma?

Thanks!

Lets put it this way. If you are able to trek around Europe without complaining you can make the bridge and walk to the port or people mover if you choose

If you are usually in need of assistance while traveling and can't handle luggage on your own and require special accommodations sometimes.... Just spring for a water taxi or if staying in Santa Lucia a land taxi.

We just used the People Mover last month and were pleased with our experience.

We stayed at the Hotel Moresco which is near the cruise terminal. The front desk gave us a map and provided direction to the PM. We had to carry our bags over one bridge and then walk past the bus area to get to the entrance to the PM. There was a man at the automated ticket booth to assist with buying the tickets. And then we went up the escalator and it was a couple minutes to the tram. After a quick ride we we exited and and too the escalator down to the street. There were people pointing us in the right direction at several points, and after a short walk we were at the baggage drop off and entrance to board the ship.

We did see a bus when we got off the PM, but it must have been for another cruise line as the folks at the PM exit directed us to walk to our ship.

I work in a big city and am used to public transportation, so for me it was an easy transfer. If you have a concern about the transfer and pulling your luggage, it may be a good idea to find a taxi transfer.

Safe travels.