Booked JS for 3 ... might be cruising solo

emeraldcity

I have a TA booked for 3, but it may well be that I'm the only one who can go. Current pricing for a solo traveler in a JS is far more expensive than I'm currently invoiced for the three of us (and no gratuities are currently on the bill).

If I drop the other two travelers, do I get re-invoiced at the current rate? Or do they just drop the third passenger and charge me what the bill says for traveler #1 + traveler #2, less port fees and taxes for traveler #2?

I believe if you drop the other two guests, you will be re-priced at current rates. That's what they wanted to do with a friend of mine recently when he wanted to drop guest #2.

However, I believe the rules are different when dropping only guest #3. I've read that the third guest can even be dropped after final payment with little or no penalty.

One solution might be to drop guest #3, and if they want to re-price when you try to drop guest #2, then just have guest #2 be a no-show. The downside of this approach is that you would only get double points for the JS, instead of triple points.

Edited by clarea

Not seeing it costing more for booking 1 in a JS then it is when booking 3 in a JS on your sailing.

I'm seeing a charge of about $6000 for one and $7200 for 3.

What I would do if you can swing it is book 2 cabins, one with yourself in 1 cabin and the other one with 3 in the cabin.

By the time the final payment dates rolls around just cancel the one you won't be using, by that date you should know or know whether the other 2 persons can make it.

Jimbo:)

I have a TA booked for 3, but it may well be that I'm the only one who can go. Current pricing for a solo traveler in a JS is far more expensive than I'm currently invoiced for the three of us (and no gratuities are currently on the bill).

If I drop the other two travelers, do I get re-invoiced at the current rate? Or do they just drop the third passenger and charge me what the bill says for traveler #1 + traveler #2, less port fees and taxes for traveler #2?

Not seeing it costing more for booking 1 in a JS then it is when booking 3 in a JS on your sailing.

What I would do if you can swing it is book 2 cabins, one with yourself in 1 cabin and the other one with 3 in the cabin.

By the time the final payment dates rolls around just cancel the one you won't be using, by that date you should know or know whether the other 2 persons can make it.

emeraldcity is saying that when the cabin was initially booked, the total price for 3 is less than what s/he could book the cabin for NOW for one.

and Bob is correct about RC having a propensity for repricing at the drop of a hat. emeraldcity has no assurance that it won't happen to him/her.

My current total is 4400 ... drop off about 400 for the third guest ... I'm under $4000 for 2 (and drop off $100 or more to remove port taxes and fees for guest #2) ... as opposed to a single booking of 5679 (with my diamond discount) ... I don't know that I can justify that.

Edited by emeraldcity

My current total is 4400 ... drop off about 400 for the third guest ... I'm under $4000 for 2 (and drop off $100 or more to remove port taxes and fees for guest #2) ... as opposed to a single booking of 5679 (with my diamond discount) ... I don't know that I can justify that.

I guess it depends on how long the cruise is, and how much the triple points would be worth to you. You will get the $100 taxes back whether you remove guest #2 or they are a no show. So the difference is about $1679 just for extra points.

Then just leave it alone and go by yourself and just go with 2 no shows and forget about it. Not much you can do at the current prices.

Edited by Jimbo

I guess it depends on how long the cruise is, and how much the triple points would be worth to you. You will get the $100 taxes back whether you remove guest #2 or they are a no show. So the difference is about $1679 just for extra points.

it's 13 nights TA Navigator May 8, 2016. Points wouldn't be worth that kind of $$$$

You also might want to consider making that cabin for 1 a superior balcony. While 200 sq ft is small for 3, it should be plenty for 1 person. If I put it in correctly I see $3,500 for one.

Nobody has mentioned so far what RCCL might attempt to do since you are currently booked into a cabin designed for 3 passengers. My friends and I were booked in a Junior Suite for 3, and right before final payment one of the ladies had to drop out. I called RCCL and they not only wanted to move us into a cabin designed for 2, but also wanted to rebook us at the much higher current rate (we booked almost a year in advance). I was quite upset about this, and finally I spoke to someone in resolutions and they agreed to let 2 people stay in that cabin and keep our current rate, just dropping the 3rd person. So, maybe the advice you have received here to just let the 2 passengers be no-shows is the most cost effective way to handle this.

Karen:)

Are we sure that if you have two no shows that you won't get triple points anyway

That's what we were told, whatever that's worth. C&A looks at the final booking, and if it's not booked as a single, then no extra points. Doesn't make a lot of sense since they are still getting 200%, but that is the world of Royal.

Edited by clarea

No easy answers here. Still not sure what I want to do. I went back and checked my original invoice ... $2026 for a solo balcony. When we went to 3 people we decided to move to a JS, because it was then about 1500 each. Now if I drop to a balcony it's going to be 3300.

I appreciate everyone's input. I even cast about the website looking for another cruise that had a strong appeal and nothing jumped out at me.

And of course I booked this with my last NCC ... one of the old ones, so there's $150 worth of OBC tied to this deal.

No easy answers here. Still not sure what I want to do. I went back and checked my original invoice ... $2026 for a solo balcony. When we went to 3 people we decided to move to a JS, because it was then about 1500 each. Now if I drop to a balcony it's going to be 3300.

I appreciate everyone's input. I even cast about the website looking for another cruise that had a strong appeal and nothing jumped out at me.

And of course I booked this with my last NCC ... one of the old ones, so there's $150 worth of OBC tied to this deal.

THAT you should be able to easily move to a different cruise, just by keeping the same booking number.

You can do the Brilliance TA for less than $2000, in an E3 cabin solo. 28 points.

Jewel in an E2 for a little more than $2000. 30 points.

Independence in an E3 for a little more than $2000. 26 points.

Just don't stay on your current cruise. ;)

Edited by Merion_Mom

THAT you should be able to easily move to a different cruise, just by keeping the same booking number.

You can do the Brilliance TA for less than $2000, in an E3 cabin solo. 28 points.

Jewel in an E2 for a little more than $2000. 30 points.

Independence in an E3 for a little more than $2000. 26 points.

Just don't stay on your current cruise. ;)

Thanks for the research on my behalf. I had run searches on cruises in the Caribbean and even looked at some that include Hawaii because I really need something in the spring to look forward to ... it helps me get through the winter to have a cruise to plan for. The one thing I really hadn't considered was a different TA because I figured they were all priced the same ... and the Navigator pricing has really increased. After a long chat with Choice Air and then some more number crunching I decided to switch to the Brilliance, where I scored a nice big balcony with my balcony cabin and expected pricing on air of less than $600 through Choice Air. I just have to decide before I book the air if I should spend a day or two post-cruise in Barcelona.

A couple of other pluses for me is this nets me a slightly shorter countdown and puts me back on a Radiance class, which I dearly love.

Thanks again for the nudge.

By the way, they didn't reprice the JS, they just took off the third pax and the port /tax fees from the second pax, but that still made the cabin cost just under $4000.

That's what we were told, whatever that's worth. C&A looks at the final booking, and if it's not booked as a single, then no extra points. Doesn't make a lot of sense since they are still getting 200%, but that is the world of Royal.

I sailed with a no show in January and received double points.