Carnival Liberty Medical Staff

KcInGa

I would like to take a minute to brag on the Liberty's medical staff. My (just turned) 6 year old was very excited to take her first cruise this week. We had a fabulous cruise, then on the last night she was looking up at the lifeboats on deck 3 and fell over the ramp that enters the lobby...I went to help her up and noticed without a doubt that her arm was broken. I picked her up and ran in to guest services and asked them to get me a Doctor to medical. (I maybe screamed this and broke in line- to anyone traveling I'm sorry!)

They called the Dr and they met us there very quickly. They were very patient and took such tender care of my sweet girl. They talked us through everything they did and never did anything until she was ready. They had to administer anesthesia to try to reset the arm. They put a soft cast on and a splint. She had some vomiting so they kept us there and checked on her until the nausea subsided and made sure she was completely ok.

This was not how we wanted to end our cruise of course...we had to skip a planned day at Disney today, but I can't tell you how glad I am for the care they gave my sweet girl.

They gave us a copy of all of the notes and the X-rays on CD. Very thorough with us.

Thank you, medical staff!08ab3a4980bb2a676976a4dfdc1e6009.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Awwwwwww! Your poor little girl!!!:loudcry:

I am so glad to hear that they took such great care of her.......

She looks pretty happy in the pictures, so that's a good sign.....

Kudos to Carnival!!!!

Wow! I always imagined it as more of a first aid station, not something equipped for xrays and bone setting and anesthesia! That's impressive! Hope she's on the mend quickly!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'm curious (and pardon my nosiness) about the costs. The reason I ask is because many people like myself struggle with the insurance / no insurance decision. Again, if you are comfortable answering only. I'd guess in a US ER that would for sure run more than $2,000 easily.

The cost was $1500....but they voided all charges! The cynical part of me thinks this is because they wanted to avoid any liability. Medical insurance is not valid on international waters. However, if you have vacation protection it will cover it.

Always good to know of NCL's admirable handling of situations like yours.

Hope your lovely child gets better soon!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OP was sailing CARNIVAL Liberty not Liberty of the Sea. I know it gets confusing. It was bad for me when the were both in Galveston.

Hope your little one is on the mend. Also glad to hear CCL voided out all the medical charges. Saves you a ton of paperwork and time when you get home to put in claim to travel insurance. Do you have to follow-up with an orthopedist when you get back - re-xray, etc?

OP was sailing CARNIVAL Liberty not Liberty of the Sea. I know it gets confusing. It was bad for me when the were both in Galveston.

And Liberty of the Seas, is neither Carnival or NCL, it is Royal Caribbean!!

I would like to take a minute to brag on the Liberty's medical staff. My (just turned) 6 year old was very excited to take her first cruise this week. We had a fabulous cruise, then on the last night she was looking up at the lifeboats on deck 3 and fell over the ramp that enters the lobby...I went to help her up and noticed without a doubt that her arm was broken. I picked her up and ran in to guest services and asked them to get me a Doctor to medical. (I maybe screamed this and broke in line- to anyone traveling I'm sorry!)

They called the Dr and they met us there very quickly. They were very patient and took such tender care of my sweet girl. They talked us through everything they did and never did anything until she was ready. They had to administer anesthesia to try to reset the arm. They put a soft cast on and a splint. She had some vomiting so they kept us there and checked on her until the nausea subsided and made sure she was completely ok.

This was not how we wanted to end our cruise of course...we had to skip a planned day at Disney today, but I can't tell you how glad I am for the care they gave my sweet girl.

They gave us a copy of all of the notes and the X-rays on CD. Very thorough with us.

Thank you, medical staff!08ab3a4980bb2a676976a4dfdc1e6009.jpg

Hope your little one is recovering well. She is adorable! Good Luck and good health! Thanks for posting.