Oasis vs Epic vs Magic for grandkids?

ImCruisin4Fun

We will be taking our family (kids & 4 grandkids) on a cruise next year. We are Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean so we're pretty "loyal to Royal" but we want the most fun for the young grandkids. We are torn between 3 cruiselines....either staying with RCCL on Oasis, or should we stray to either Norwegian Epic or Carnival Magic. We need to leave out of Port Canaveral so those 3 will be homeported there next November. I want to make sure our grandkids (who will be 8, 6, 3, & 2) will have enough to do because of their young ages. I'm not worried about the adult kids and us...we can have a good time on any cruise :) Any recommendations as to which ship would be best for us?

Please talk to the parents of the two year old about their needs. If they require a drop off program in order to enjoy their vacation, then Carnival and Cunard offer free kids club programs for 2 year olds. A new or refurbished Royal ship will have a Royal Babies and Tot Nursery, or a Disney ship will have nurseries, although there is a fee for using these nurseries, and no guarantee that you will be able to book the hours you want (you can book some hours ahead of time on Disney so at least you will know what your options are for care before you board). NCL Epic doesn't have any drop off programs for 2 year olds.

One other option might be Princess, which doesn't offer any drop off programs for 2 year olds, but will let children under 3 attend the kids zone with parental supervision, which might be ideal if the child (or parents) aren't entirely comfortable with a drop off program at this age. My son did this when he was 24 months, and the staff always helped him participate in the arts and craft programs and activities they set up for the older children.

Edited by kitkat343

Having taken our children when they were young on so many different cruise lines I truly believe young children will have a wonderful time on any of the cruise lines you mentioned. If it was me I would take them on RCI since you enjoy that line and they will do fine on RCI.

Don't overthink this.

And it is so very nice that you are taking them on a cruise.

Keith

We very much like NCL and have taken a 10 month old on Epic. Our family chooses not to sail carnival. That said, in your position I would choose either Oasis or Magic since they offer more options for the 2 year old. Oasis has a splash pad for non potty trained kids, don't know anything about Magic other than Carnival allows 2 year olds in kids club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We very much like NCL and have taken a 10 month old on Epic. Our family chooses not to sail carnival. That said, in your position I would choose either Oasis or Magic since they offer more options for the 2 year old. Oasis has a splash pad for non potty trained kids, don't know anything about Magic other than Carnival allows 2 year olds in kids club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree - we love NCL, but out of your choices, only the Oasis has a splash pad for the diapered set.

Thanks everyone for your ideas/suggestions. I particularly liked the suggestion, "don't overthink this". I have a habit of doing that LOL. I know whatever cruise we choose, everyone will have an awesome time!!

Edited by ImCruisin4Fun

Oasis!!

We sailed Allure with grandparents when DD was 2 and it was awesome!

The nursery was great to have and there were no issues getting hours! DD had a great experience there. There was also a large room with mats and toys for the little ones (where they had the programs for the under 3's, but it was open for free play most of the day). They had the toy lending program which DD loved. The kids in the regular children's program seemed to be having a great time too.

DD was potty trained for the cruise, but there is a splash area for diapered kids too (took stress off of potty training). DD loved the shows, the characters, the carousel and just walking around Central Park, Boardwalk & promenade.

There is so much to do for all ages on Oasis Class! We're so excited Oasis is coming to Port Canaveral & hope to sail her from there!

I would go with Oasis since you are familiar with Royal and Royal does tend to cater somewhat to its longtime "sailors", so that might help if you needed anything above and beyond. I am sure the kids would enjoy any of the ships you mentioned. Have a wonderful time!:)