Are there ever times you feel unsafe while cruising?

cmoose

I guess I am mostly interested while on the ship. Obviously you to use your common sense on and off the ship, but are there ever situations that have really made you feel unsafe?

Never on the ship but you do have to be careful in some of the ports.

I guess I am mostly interested while on the ship. Obviously you to use your common sense on and off the ship, but are there ever situations that have really made you feel unsafe?

Yes, I am afraid at times of being seriously in danger of falling in love with the sea so much that I might go to work for the cruise line.

But seriously - no. Not once. Ever. But then, I'm not afraid of much anyway.

I do have to say that I find this question to be very strange. Why would you want to know this? What is your motivation in asking this question?

A cruise ship is the size of a small city filled with strangers. Too many people have a false sense of security because they are on a ship. It was a good question, and more people should be aware of their surroundings - especially if they have kids.

When we arrived at roatan, the captain came on and said if you don't have a planned excursion then he recommends not getting off the ship. Pretty scary thing for them to say after arriving.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

Yeah - I often wonder why they continue to go to ports like that.

When we arrived at roatan, the captain came on and said if you don't have a planned excursion then he recommends not getting off the ship. Pretty scary thing for them to say after arriving.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

Curious as to what NCL ship this was on. After 6 trips to Roatan have never heard anything like that. We roam all over the place and have never been frightened.

Nope. Never feel more comfortable and relaxed than I do on a cruise ship.

I asked because I am traveling with my 14 year old daughter and without my husband. I haven't been on a cruise ship in about 30 years and feeling a bit nervous. Thanks for the info.

You will see a lot of parents allow their children free reign while on a cruise. I posted the fact that the ship is the size of a small city filled with strangers for exactly that reason. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

Yes. When there were other people in line in front of me at the Chocoholic Buffet. I was fearful for their safety as I lose all control when I am around that much chocolate. Goggle the great Hershey Incident of 1986 - I'm the one at the bottom of the pile!!! :D

Seriously, I have never felt unsafe on any cruise or at any port. I agree, situational awareness varies from person to person and the "little voice" that tells you to be careful should be observed.

Relax and enjoy. Use common sense and pay attention to those around you.

Curious as to what NCL ship this was on. After 6 trips to Roatan have never heard anything like that. We roam all over the place and have never been frightened.

Was probably last year when there were many political problems on the mainland. (Honduras for those who don't realize Roatan isn't a island governed by itself)

I'd read on the Roatan board about there being some worry about problems spilling over to the island when things got bad, but never read about any problems on the island. (US State Dept. warnings, etc..)

Probably just the Captain being overly cautious, to which I say Good For Him..

Well done.

Also never felt unsafe on any ship or most ports.

The only port where I felt unsafe, was Ocho Rios, Jamaica, where the locals did not like the fact that DW and I were not intrested in any of their excursions or goods, so they tried to physically separate the two of us.

Needless to say, we will NEVER return there again.

Edited by bguppies

Was probably last year when there were many political problems on the mainland. (Honduras for those who don't realize Roatan isn't a island governed by itself)

I'd read on the Roatan board about there being some worry about problems spilling over to the island when things got bad, but never read about any problems on the island. (US State Dept. warnings, etc..)

Probably just the Captain being overly cautious, to which I say Good For Him..

Well done.

They just issued a warning for Nassau not too long ago. It's a shame.

We have never felt unsafe on or off of the ship.

We are careful about where we go and what we do and with whom while in ports

Please do not let your 14 yr old daughter run around on the ship, it is a small city and like any small city of 4,000+ people there are crooks, thieves, etc....

It only takes a minute for someone to notice a young girl alone.

This is not to say you don't let her go places with any new friends you've met that are respectful and well behaved.

There are supervised activities for her age group as well.

Enjoy your cruise! How nice for the two of you!

I have never felt unsafe onboard. The only time I have ever even thought about the possibility of there being a chance something could happen was when we were on the Oasis of the Seas (huge ship) and our cabin was almost completely aft. I was coming back to my cabin one night by myself and i was about half way to the cabin and I looked behind and in front of me and the hallway was empty, and for a minute I thought how easy it would be for someone to open a cabin door and pull me in and nobody would know. But that was just for a second and then I knew the odds are very low and I am usually always with someone. Now if I was going with a child I would never let them walk the hallways by themselves , all you have to do is be smart on the ship just like you are at home and you will be fine.

A cruise ship is the size of a small city filled with strangers. Too many people have a false sense of security because they are on a ship. It was a good question, and more people should be aware of their surroundings - especially if they have kids.

Lighten up. I never said it was a bad question. I simply questioned the OP's motives. And THAT is being security conscious. A person who asks a question like that may very well be planning something. I am not saying this is the case here, but my skepticism has served me very well in the past.

The only time I feel unsafe on a ship is when my DW is upset, other than that I have never felt unsafe for my family and myself on any cruise ship whether security wise or weather wise.

Is this my dad???? LOLLOL!!! Thank you for giving me my laugh of the day....and yes, I agree with you =--I've never felt unsafe either. Of course, my personal background and training may have something to do with that, but I agree with you. I've been in rough seas, and have even been on a ship that sank. Even during the wreck/sinking, I did not feel that my life was in danger at any time. I was in very good hands with the crew and had every confidence in them, and in the Captain. That doesn't mean that bad things can't happen -- they do.

But a bit of advice if anyone out there DOES feel unsafe: Find a security officer or deck officer immediatelya nd share your concerns. I guarantee they will be taken seriously. Also, in a real life-threatening situation, my advice is: make friends with the engine crew and the anchor crew...those guys are tough characters and in a situation that goes sideways fast, they are the ones you want to be friends with, not your tablemates or your waiter. ;)

Edited by artist47