Liquuor

pvbbrennan

Has anyone successfully brought hard liquor in their luggage on Oosterdam?

There are hundreds of posts on the question of sneaking booze onto your ship elsewhere on this board. A quick search should provide you with all the information you'll ever need - and then some!:D

I don't know why anyone would even want to do this on a HAL cruise. You can order liquer by the bottle delivered to your state room at a fairly reasonable price so why would you want to lug the weight and risk having a broken bottle ruin your clothing? :confused:

Never have, never will. It is so easy to order a bottle and mixers for our cabin why take the chance of liquor breaking in my suitcase and ruining out clothes. Not worth the risk. And of course it could be confiscated anyway. The difference between the price you paid for your in-suitcase bottle and the price you would pay to order a bottle from room service is miniscule when considering what you pay overall for your cruise vacation.

I will admit we have, but haven't done that in a long time. Even when we brought liquor on board our bar bills were still quite large. I think that is why we stop doing it, as we were drinking in the bars and not in the room, always had to bring back left overs.

we have never had a problem or were ever questioned. Once the luggage is in the cabin we set up our bar.

ditto, some of the bottles HAL sells prices are ok, but I like Hennessy cognac which I can buy for 35 a litter HAL sells it for 90. I will still have a good size bar tab.

I wouldn't want to risk leakage or breakage and have all our clothes ruined and possibly those in a suitcase beneath ours on the luggage carts. What a sorry surprise to find wet, liquor soaked clothes in your suitcase.

HAL appears to turn the other cheek on putting liquor/wine inside your checked bags.

Carnival x-rays inbound luggage and seizes all liquor the find.

On one HAL cruise we went on, I purchased a 1/2gal of Seagrams at a liquor store in San Diego. The clerk mistakenly cracked the cap when removing the security cap and the whole darn think leaked into our luggage. Cabin had the smell of a bar fly for the entire cruise.

We used Rum Runners on our next cruise.

My dh bought 2 bottles of Cognac to bring home from our last cruise because the prices on HAL are actually the same or cheaper for some things than buying the exact same product in Canada.

I would also like to add that bubble wrap is a marvelous thing to wrap bottles in. Put an extra strip around the neck of the bottle. Wrapping all of that in a plastic bag and then tape the bag and that should stop any leakage.

Dh has a small suitcase that has a very hard backing that fits a bottle of champagne in it's box very nicely.

For Australian Scotch drinkers, I don't know about other spirits, it's cheaper to buy on the ship than in discount liquor stores in Australia.

As an example a 1L Johnnie Walker Red Label on board is $37 including 15% tip.

At 1st Choice Liquor in Australia the same bottle is $54.

Being Canadians, the liquor onboard purchases are fair enough to us.We appreciate being able to take wine and champagne aboard to enjoy in our room. Most generous allowance that we know of on any cruise ship in our price level so we have no problem paying their prices when we want something in the public areas. ..and hey! Now that we've discovered the happy hours, we've got all the drinking we want to purchase in a day covered at decent prices.

funny you should ask! We have always brought booze on board...never had a problem! What's funny is that last fall on the Odam one of our bags ended up in the "Naughty Room"......I was positive we'd been busted! Went down to identify our bag. Three or four security guards surrounded us as we opened it. I offered the info that there was a jug of vodka in there. A Guard picks it up, looks for something else, finds a power strip, confiscates that, puts the jug back into the bag and tells us to have a nice cruise!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sue

For Australian Scotch drinkers, I don't know about other spirits, it's cheaper to buy on the ship than in discount liquor stores in Australia.

As an example a 1L Johnnie Walker Red Label on board is $37 including 15% tip.

At 1st Choice Liquor in Australia the same bottle is $54.

We live in a state where we can only buy our alcohol from a State owned store --ruled by the State Liquor Control Board.

Only 750 ml or 1.75 liters -- and nothing is cheap.

Archived