Cruising in about 50 days, what to do before?

sweetp09

Is this your first cruise?

Make sure you check-in on line. You'll be able to print your xpress pas, cruise docs and luggage tags. After your cruise docs are ready, you can also request mailed luggage tags.

If doing my time dining (select dining) you can make your dinner reservations.

You can also book shore excursions and spa appts. if you want them. There is no need to book entertainment like you do on Oasis and other ships.

Is this your first cruise?

Make sure you check-in on line. You'll be able to print your xpress pas, cruise docs and luggage tags. After your cruise docs are ready, you can also request mailed luggage tags.

If doing my time dining (select dining) you can make your dinner reservations.

You can also book shore excursions and spa appts. if you want them. There is no need to book entertainment like you do on Oasis and other ships.

Thanks for responding. It's The first cruise for DH. I have cruised before but it's been a few years on a different line.

I have already booked some excursions and things. I just want to make sure I do all the registration and check in stuff i have to do.

dH and I have not cruised with X and our first cruise is coming up on December 6. What do we need to do beforehand as far as checking in and such? Also, any precruise tips you would care to share would be greatly appreciated! :)
Just complete the online check-in and print the first page of the Xpress Pass to bring with you.

There is no need to bother printing the cruise documents or luggage tags.

The exception would be if you have hotel or transfer vouchers included in your cruise documents, in which case you would only need to print those particular pages.

As for luggage tags, you can either order them in advance to be mailed to you to bring along with you, or simply get your bags tagged at the port when you check them in.

Not knowing your nationality, I guess I should add that they will only mail luggage tags in advance to residents of some countries, not all, but everyone's luggage can be tagged at the pier, regardless of one's nationality. You can either fill out the tags at the pier and attach them yourself, or the porters will do it for you.

Read the FAQ section on Celebrity's website.

Particiapte in the roll call for your cruise.

The last two links are on the right side of this forum.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

Even though you do not need your E-docs I find it helpful to download them to my Kindle Fire, or lap top if I'm taking it. That way you have confirmation of pre-booked excursions, beverage packages, cruise care through Celebrity, etc. Also, you will have phone numbers handy if you need them on the way to the cruise.

Mary Lou

Even though you do not need your E-docs I find it helpful to download them to my Kindle Fire, or lap top if I'm taking it. That way you have confirmation of pre-booked excursions, beverage packages, cruise care through Celebrity, etc. Also, you will have phone numbers handy if you need them on the way to the cruise.

We do that too, downloading all relevant documents to whichever device we are taking with us, as well as our files with information about the ports we will be visiting.

It is a good idea to email all relevant documents that you might need in an emergency to yourself (such as the cruise contract and insurance policies and cruise and flight itineraries and contact information) so that you can access them from any location, if necessary.

It is backup just in case you should unexpectedly be hospitalized or stranded someplace where you do not have your tablet or laptop or phone with you.

Also, if you use one of the cloud backup services, that should make the information available to you from almost any location.

It sure beats taking those bulky folders and binders with piles of papers that we used to carry around with us when we traveled back in the days before the internet.

But after all our years of traveling and making sure we have backup access to emergency information, I must admit that we have been very fortunate and have not needed it yet.

Most likely the OP will have a great trip and will not really need it either.

The only information we actually look at on trips are the files for the various ports we are visiting -- tours, hotels, sights to see, airline flights, rental car info, that kind of stuff.

I don't think I have ever read through an entire cruise contract. :D

Happy cruising ����������

Good post by MICHED

I would add:

Read your Cruise Contract... *yawn*

Or at least give it a quick peruse.

As you are sailing on The Reflection, you might also want to take a look at the S-Class Storage thread... I wrote it after I got off The Solstice in 2012... And since then others have added to it with info on the other S-Class Ships (could prove helpful)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1560620

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

This list isn't as important as it is convenient:

• compact LED flashlight. (we like inside cabins)
  • 3-way plug in splitter for the electrical outlet if you have chargers/computer etc.
  • "bulldog" magnet clips to hang all the hand outs, tickets or notes from a metal wall surface to clear the desk area.
  • individually wrapped "virus" protecting hand wipes.
  • Insulated coffee mugs w/lid for the first trip to the urn that my DW likes before she actually gets out of bed. ;)
  • Yellow highlighter for marking the things you want to do on the handouts.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

At home, put a "hold" on your mail, stop your paper delivery, pay any bills that are due while you are away, and shut off your water (or turn off the water to your washing machine!)

Also, call your credit card companies and tell them where you'll be...you don't want to try to use it and find out they put a "fraud alert" on your cards!

I log in on the Celebrity website shortly after I book the cruise. I can't think of a reason to wait. If you have questions regarding the check in, which requires passport information, emergency contact information, etc., then call the number posted on the Celebrity website.

Thanks for all of the helpful responses. How close to sailing should I check in?

Online check in we usually do as soon as we find those screens available to us after Final Payment (you need a MY CELEBRITY Account to do it)

If you are talking E-Day Check in...

Everyone has their own preferences and related Pros & Cons

Mr Sloop and I count ourselves in the EARLY On & LATE Off category

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

YEAH…. THAT!!

And definitely contact the credit card company to put a travel advisory on the card. Otherwise when you buy expensive jewelry they call your home to verify the purchase. But you're not home. So they call your previous phone number. It's your ex husband. He's happy to find out you're buying diamonds w/ your alimony! :eek:

WHAT? It could happen… or um… so I've heard. :rolleyes:;)

YEAH…. THAT!!

And definitely contact the credit card company to put a travel advisory on the card. Otherwise when you buy expensive jewelry they call your home to verify the purchase. But you're not home. So they call your previous phone number. It's your ex husband. He's happy to find out you're buying diamonds w/ your alimony! :eek:

Lol, hysterical.

Thanks for my chuckle of the day :D *big grin*

I needed that

Cheers!

YEAH…. THAT!!

LOL Definitely got a chuckle from me.

Add to you "things to bring" list.....

Clothespins-to hang your wet bathing suits on the clothes line that pulls out from the shower wall.

Small roll of duct tape-People kept mentioning this on previous cruises and I faithfully always brought a roll. We learned a function for it on a North Atlantic TA in 2007 on the Constellation. We got caught in a rather severe nor'easter with waves reaching 7-8 decks up, windows broken out in the computer room and most of the Constellation's name on the hull scraped away by salt water and wind! We were awakened by the drawers in the night stands flying open and then slamming shut! The tape came in handy to keep the drawers closed. Others said they used it to keep the shower curtain secured from "hugging" them.

I appreciate all your help.

I have a stupid question. I was trying to complete online check in and got to the part where I have to put how I will get to port. We are flying to Miami the day before (2 separate flights) but getting to the port by taxi from our hotel. Which do I put, taxi or flight? If flight, which flight do i list, the original or connecting flight since they were booked separately?

I forgot to mention, we are from the US.

Edited by sweetp09

General recommendation for trips that will be strenuous is to exercise to build up your stamina prior to the trip. For cruising however, the most strenuous thing you are likely to be doing is eating and drinking, so my thoughts are that you should spend extra time eating and drinking before the cruise to get yourself into shape to enjoy it.:D

I appreciate all your help.

I have a stupid question. I was trying to complete online check in and got to the part where I have to put how I will get to port. We are flying to Miami the day before (2 separate flights) but getting to the port by taxi from our hotel. Which do I put, taxi or flight? If flight, which flight do i list, the original or connecting flight since they were booked separately?

I forgot to mention, we are from the US.

Not a stupid question at all.

There is no need to fill out any of that information, unless the cruise line is arranging your flights or ground transfers for you.

That entire section is optional, not required.

Sometimes we have not yet even decided which flights we will be taking or how we will get to the port at the time that we do the online check-in.

Since we make our own travel arrangements, we just skip that entire section (as we do the other sections that are optional), and only fill out the parts that are required.

Edited by fleckle

I am probably stating the obvious, but passport is very important to have pre-cruise. And make a photocopy to take ashore with you and leave the original in your cabin safe.

Are you able to do this for all the islands? You just need a photo copy to get back on the ship?? ....not the original?? I though they had to scan it??