Upgrade "Procedure" - anyone know the scoop?

axelskater

I have sailed on Cunard a great deal (14th coming up, but hey I just started in 04, and only QM2) and I know there may be no "procedure" pre se, but just curious if anyone has a notion of how the upgrade process works.

5 years ago we received our 1st Britannia to PG upgrade, and have not gone back since, booking PG or QG every time. Every trip since then except one has received some sort of upgrade, either PG to Q or just a Q6 to a Q5 or such.

I am booked on a cruise which has just sold out every single Oceanview & Balcony room due to a recent sale (book an Inside get Oceanview, book Oceanview, get a Balcony, etc) but there seems to be a large number of Inside Cabins left. There is also a large number of BC, PG & QG in every category except Q3. I booked a P1 a while ago.

I am perfectly happy in P1, (miss the darn make up vanity though!) but I can't help wondering...Anyone have an inkling of how Cunard will sell all the Insides? And they seem to have a huge number of Q5, Q6, and the big penthouses (Q's 4, 2, 1). Lots of Lower level Britannia club too. My curiosity of how they figure the upgrades is getting the better of me! Anyone have inside info? I have my own theories of course but I am really wondering if anyone out there knows the scoop....

They sure hooked me in the 1st time they upgraded me from Britannia to PG. I haven't been able to go back since!

Edited by axelskater

It's a deep dark secret. They don't call it the "upgrade fairy" for nothing!

I've seen a lot of longtime Cunard passengers grumble that the upgrades seem to be going more to new passengers than to repeat passengers. The theory is that they've got us hooked, not need to entice us. I don't know if that theory is true. Maybe it just seems that way to those of us who haven't had an upgrade in a LONG TIME (are you listening, Cunard?!?).

We are Diamond......we've received only one upgrade. They took our coveted sheltered balcony and upgraded us to an obstructed balcony on deck 8. :mad:

YUCK! :eek:

I never understood why Cunard considered the obstructed balcony cabins on 8 as "better" than the sheltered balconies. They keep messing with cabin grades. Sometimes the sheltered are a higher grade, sometimes lower. In my mind, they're definitely lower!

I shouldn't complain about not getting upgraded. For transatlantics, we ask that our reservation to be marked 'no upgrade' because we really love the sheltered balconies on a TA.

That was a TA and we had been marked "no upgrade". The cruise lines seem to feel that any identical cabin on a higher deck is an upgrade. I don't. I think we are supposed to think that if they put us closer to the suites, we are supposed to feel upgraded. :)

We finally got our sheltered balcony back after a week, when our TA came back from vacation. That was a rough week....we had booked a year out to get exactly the cabin we wanted.......as is recommended. :p

I have sailed on Cunard a great deal (14th coming up, but hey I just started in 04, and only QM2) and I know there may be no "procedure" pre se, but just curious if anyone has a notion of how the upgrade process works.

5 years ago we received our 1st Britannia to PG upgrade, and have not gone back since, booking PG or QG every time. Every trip since then except one has received some sort of upgrade, either PG to Q or just a Q6 to a Q5 or such.

I am booked on a cruise which has just sold out every single Oceanview & Balcony room due to a recent sale (book an Inside get Oceanview, book Oceanview, get a Balcony, etc) but there seems to be a large number of Inside Cabins left. There is also a large number of BC, PG & QG in every category except Q3. I booked a P1 a while ago.

I am perfectly happy in P1, (miss the darn make up vanity though!) but I can't help wondering...Anyone have an inkling of how Cunard will sell all the Insides? And they seem to have a huge number of Q5, Q6, and the big penthouses (Q's 4, 2, 1). Lots of Lower level Britannia club too. My curiosity of how they figure the upgrades is getting the better of me! Anyone have inside info? I have my own theories of course but I am really wondering if anyone out there knows the scoop....

They sure hooked me in the 1st time they upgraded me from Britannia to PG. I haven't been able to go back since!

If I understand your question "how Cunard will sell all the insides" - you referring to Britannia Category Inside Stateroom? If so, there seems to be no problem in filling those staterooms.

Edited by Salacia

I bet they repeat that "one day sale" for the 16 OCT New England/Canada cruise that they did for the September cruise....It went for $799. to the first 100 takers.....it sold out in four hours....:)

bob brown, the Oct Canada r/t NY trip is a 12 day cruise. When the price offered is $799 per passenger per day, that means some passengers are paying $66.58 per day, double occupancy.

An interesting comment from CC's resident industry insider:

For those of you who have been demanding lower and lower cruise fares - you should have been more careful about what you wished for.

The Cruise Line CEOs were listening, and they gave you the lower fares you wanted - despite rapidly escalating operating costs.

How did they manage to do that, you ask?

Easy. They cut back on service staff who were not directly responsible for increasing onboard revenues, and replaced them with staff who directly increase onboard revenues, in order to cover the losses we incur with your lower fares.

Who were those service staff who were cut?

Waiters and cabin stewards. They provide service - but do not directly make any profits for us.

Now their beds are being used by tooth whiteners, acupuncturists, barbers, B&W Photographers, Art Auctioneers, Florists, Shop Staff, Cellarmasters, etc.

Why should this matter to you?

Because we no longer have enough service staff to cover dining rooms, specialty restaurants, buffets, and room service all at the same time.

On busy nights, staff needs to be pulled from buffets and room service to have enough staff in the dining rooms to prevent long delays for your food.

If we refuse service to badly dressed slobs trying to get into the dining room, they will need to eat somewhere else. We MUST feed all of you somewhere.

But if these badly dressed people go to the buffet or call room service, there are no longer enough staff there to take care of them, and the other passengers who chose those options.

How do we fix this problem?

We pull wait staff from the dining room to handle them, meaning that the diners in the dining room will have to wait one hour between courses. They will miss the evenings entertainment and get very upset with us.

Any questions?

Yes, I have a question. How does Carnival Cruise Line continue to show a profit margin despite serious reductions in fares? As passengers, we know that the staff has been reduced, as has their pension plan, such as it was - and that the crew and staff have increased duties and responsibilities.

Just my personal observation, but well meaning crew members have been placed in a position where training was lacking.

Happy days where a passenger can sail on QM2 for under $70 per night - or maybe not.

I've seen a lot of longtime Cunard passengers grumble that the upgrades seem to be going more to new passengers than to repeat passengers. The theory is that they've got us hooked, not need to entice us. I don't know if that theory is true. Maybe it just seems that way to those of us who haven't had an upgrade in a LONG TIME (are you listening, Cunard?!?).

We have never had an upgrade. We have been diamond members for years and we have done three world cruises and. a few world segments and shorter cruises as far back as on QM2. Never had an upgrade and it does make you wonder?

Another thing I always wonder about is how people get chosen to dine at the Cpatains table?

Not that I have ever been aked to do so, but on my recent world cruise all our table went on different nights to dine with himself and we never got asked. I did feel rather left out as one night we were left on our own whilst the rest dined opposite us with the Captain.I think as we were the only world cruisers at our table we were left out as we get invites to other officiers tables. It is another of the myths we never really get to know about.:confused:

We have been upgraded on almost all our cruises with Cunard except one - and on that one I was offered a paid for upgrade that I turned down. One upgrade from the cheapest sheltered balcony to Britannia Club. One from the cheapest inside to the Caronia on QE2. Recently we state "no upgrades"

We were never asked to dine with the Captain when we dined in the Britannia, but we have three times dined with him on P&O ships - and each of those was for the whole cruise.

I think it's just luck.

Edited by cruiseluvva

We have been upgraded on almost all our cruises with Cunard except one - and on that one I was offered a paid for upgrade that I turned down. One upgrade from the cheapest sheltered balcony to Britannia Club. One from the cheapest inside to the Caronia on QE2. Recently we state "no upgrades"

We were never asked to dine with the Captain when we dined in the Britannia, but we have three times dined with him on P&O ships - and each of those was for the whole cruise.

I think it's just luck.

Really!!!! Good for you...............

To add a data point... We have not sailed on Cunard for 10 years (we were on the final westbound crossing on the QE2). We bought PG P1 on deck 10 for the 9/15/2014 Canada voyage.

Just got an upgrade email. We are now QG Q6 on deck 9...

To add a data point... We have not sailed on Cunard for 10 years (we were on the final westbound crossing on the QE2). We bought PG P1 on deck 10 for the 9/15/2014 Canada voyage.

Just got an upgrade email. We are now QG Q6 on deck 9...

Do you mind if I ask, are you pleased with that? I only ask because the Q6's are forward as opposed to your midships P1.

Do you mind if I ask, are you pleased with that? I only ask because the Q6's are forward as opposed to your midships P1.

If it was a TA in December (like our last one), I would be more concerned about being midships. But on this voyage I am thinking 33% more area is more important.

But we have never been on QM2. Should I be more concerned about cabin location?

But on this voyage I am thinking 33% more area is more important.

I would be thrilled to "rock around" for 33%. We were way forward on our last TA and never felt the difference. ;)

If it was a TA in December (like our last one), I would be more concerned about being midships. But on this voyage I am thinking 33% more area is more important.

No, not at all :) Your upgrade sounds great - I was just wondering.

Yes, I have a question. How does Carnival Cruise Line continue to show a profit margin despite serious reductions in fares? As passengers, we know that the staff has been reduced, as has their pension plan, such as it was - and that the crew and staff have increased duties and responsibilities.

Just my personal observation, but well meaning crew members have been placed in a position where training was lacking.

Happy days where a passenger can sail on QM2 for under $70 per night - or maybe not.

Way too reminiscent of the airlines "business model". Fill the seats and cheapen the product.:eek:

bob brown, the Oct Canada r/t NY trip is a 12 day cruise. When the price offered is $799 per passenger per day, that means some passengers are paying $66.58 per day, double occupancy.

Exactly. But so is the September Canada cruise....;)

An interesting comment from CC's resident industry insider:

All true....but unfortunately, in the ferocious, competitive cruise market, that is just what the "mass market" demands....and if a line tries to keep their traditional fares and level of service, they will quickly lose more and more market share.

The same thing happened in the airline industry. Lure people aboard with rock-bottom fares, and try to recoup lost revenue, by 'nickle and diming' for every thing possible.....:(

All true....but unfortunately, in the ferocious, competitive cruise market, that is just what the "mass market" demands....and if a line tries to keep their traditional fares and level of service, they will quickly lose more and more market share.

The same thing happened in the airline industry. Lure people aboard with rock-bottom fares, and try to recoup lost revenue, by 'nickle and diming' for every thing possible.....:(

Which indicates that Cunard no longer has a passenger base willing to pay fares that sustain certain standards of service.

I don't blame passenger demand. A few years back...travel slowed down. Cunard started offering "last minute" deals to fill the ships. More and more, full paying passengers got discouraged with booking early and paying full fare while knowing many on board paid much less. Basically, a catch 22.

There are those who valiantly say that they book early to get the cabin they want and they could care less if the person 5 cabins down only paid half. Personally, I find it absurd to willingly pay more for the same product.....that's just poor financial strategy. We are now stuck playing the guessing game....do we book early to make sure that there is a cabin available and hope the price doesn't plummet after final payment, do we take the chance and hope for a one day "new booking only" sale, or do we wait until after final payment to see if there is a substantial price drop? I hardly see where this can be blamed on people "just being cheap". The cruise industry started this trend out of necessity. :confused:

Edited by brigittetom

I don't blame passenger demand. A few years back...travel slowed down. Cunard started offering "last minute" deals to fill the ships. More and more, full paying passengers got discouraged with booking early and paying full fare while knowing many on board paid much less. Basically, a catch 22.

There are those who valiantly say that they book early to get the cabin they want and they could care less if the person 5 cabins down only paid half. Personally, I find it absurd to willingly pay more for the same product.....that's just poor financial strategy. We are now stuck playing the guessing game....do we book early to make sure that there is a cabin available and hope the price doesn't plummet after final payment, do we take the chance and hope for a one day "new booking only" sale, or do we wait until after final payment to see if there is a substantial price drop? I hardly see where this can be blamed on people "just being cheap". The cruise industry started this trend out of necessity.

I can see your logic, and Cunard seems to be trying to offer advantages to early booking: specific stateroom selection, preferred dinner seating, priority for tables for two. (Of course none of the mentioned priorities matter to some.)

Involuntary upgrades will sour passengers from early booking. I'd certainly not appreciate being moved from a carefully selected starboard stateroom on an EB TA to a port side "upgrade". There was a recent example of somebody who booked BB (12 deck forward) and got an unwelcome upgrade to BA (8 deck mid but right after the first orange lifeboat.)

Also, some on this board however don't see stateroom and dining priorities as justified for those paying full freight. Not too long ago a poster said that not getting first seating - despite paying a promotional fare - would justify removal of auto gratuities as they "didn't get good service". I've also read complaints accusing Cunard of "tricking" and "forcing" early booking for HC cabins, kennel space, need for specific locations, and guaranteed first sitting.

So when I constantly read of complaints of this, that, or something else being "cut back" for me it's a disconnect. It defies the laws of economics because services and amenities have to be paid for some how. Which goes back to my original point: the customer base on Cunard may now be more value and "deal" oriented to the point where the line cannot sustain earlier expectations.