Little Stirrup Cay review with slideshow link

Cruise life

Here is my second review, hopefully with just a single link to the slideshow. We really enjoyed LSC. No rushing, no dealing with the huge crowds seen in Nassau, just gorgeous beach, water and sky.

We purchased our snorkel gear on site with our sign and sail card and ventured out to the crash sites- two aircraft and a boat. Did not go over to the boat because we were spent making it out to the one dock by the airplanes. They were pretty cool. The kids saw a sea turtle and we all saw a large barracuda. After snorkeling in Nassau, we decided not to go over to the reef area here, so cannot say anything about the conditions there, other than we saw several snorkelers in that vicinity.

The island's major attractions are set up in a circle so you can wander around and see everything in less than an hour.

The food was hot dogs, burgers and jerk chicken. I am not usually a spicy chicken person, but I did get the jerk chicken and it was outstanding, just right and not too spicy even for me. The rice was great. My husband's burger looked raw, and he only ate half after he saw me eating the jerk chicken and raving about it, while my son's was well-done...I guess you may be able to cook the burgers to order! The drink line was long, but it was hot and everyone was refilling lemonades, teas, and waters.

The music was loud, but it was a good system and unless you were in the bar or right next to it, you could escape the sound altogether. I have read to walk just a bit farther down, and that is true. Don't worry about grabbing the first lounger you see, walk to the right and you will find more areas, all within similar reach to everything, nothing is far away. If all you want to do is snorkel, stay at the first section off the ship by the Cabanas.

ok, here's my slideshow, with captions, let me know if you need more information, I will try to answer what I saw or know.

Chris

http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a63774e446b344f44493d0d0a&blogview=true

Really cool review! I enjoyed the pictures and was curious about how the ymanaged the signs, etc. on the island that reference Coco Cay and/or Royal Caribbean. I've been there a few times and it's funny seeing "Little Stirrup Cay" as opposed to "Coco Cay." :)

FYI...don't be surprised if the moderators move this to the Private Islands board.

Really cool review! I enjoyed the pictures and was curious about how the ymanaged the signs, etc. on the island that reference Coco Cay and/or Royal Caribbean. I've been there a few times and it's funny seeing "Little Stirrup Cay" as opposed to "Coco Cay." :)

FYI...don't be surprised if the moderators move this to the Private Islands board.

Oh, I didn't realize it wasn't part of the Bahamas. Thanks for correcting me! We loved it, my dad got a Coco Cay t-shirt, must have been on sale, lol. Thanks for giving me your feedback, I appreciate it.

Oh' date=' I didn't realize it wasn't part of the Bahamas. Thanks for correcting me! We loved it, my dad got a Coco Cay t-shirt, must have been on sale, lol. Thanks for giving me your feedback, I appreciate it.[/quote']

It's part of the Bahamas geographically but CC has a special subsection of the Port of Calls board for Private Islands that are owned/operated by the cruise lines.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=406

It's part of the Bahamas geographically but CC has a special subsection of the Port of Calls board for Private Islands that are owned/operated by the cruise lines.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=406

Thanks for the link; it's interesting this whole area is included in the Caribbean section when in fact it is in the Atlantic Ocean. It's beautiful, either way! Carnival lists the Bahamas cruises separate from Caribbean ones. Do you know how the other lines advertise these ports? I haven't looked at another line in forever. Our Nov trip is listed under Caribbean because it goes farther south to St. Thomas and St. Martin after a very short stop in Nassau. This trip to Nassau and LSC was listed under Bahamas...they get their own place in the sun.

Thanks for the link; it's interesting this whole area is included in the Caribbean section when in fact it is in the Atlantic Ocean. It's beautiful' date=' either way! Carnival lists the Bahamas cruises separate from Caribbean ones. Do you know how the other lines advertise these ports? I haven't looked at another line in forever. Our Nov trip is listed under Caribbean because it goes farther south to St. Thomas and St. Martin after a very short stop in Nassau. This trip to Nassau and LSC was listed under Bahamas...they get their own place in the sun.[/quote']

I've only sailed Royal Caribbean and their Bahamas cruises are listed under "Bahamas" rather than the Caribbean as well. I believe, like Carnival, cruises that sail the Caribbean but stop in Nassau are listed under the Caribbean.

Have fun on your November trip! Our "Bahamas" cruise is in October and is why I've been spending so much time reading these boards! We'll have to check out the "Caribbean" cruises after the October trip. :)

Edited by aurelius180

I have been to Coco Cay many times. It is funny seeing it listed as LSC. I was thinking of booking a Carnival cruise to Coco Cay to see how they handled the island, of coarse I would have to stop by the straw market to visit Sydney.

I have been to Coco Cay many times. It is funny seeing it listed as LSC. I was thinking of booking a Carnival cruise to Coco Cay to see how they handled the island, of coarse I would have to stop by the straw market to visit Sydney.

Yes, you can imagine my confusion initially until I realized the name was changed while I was doing my research for this trip. We all really loved this place and would go back in a second! The only downside I can see is you really are remote, but not that much more remote than being on the ship, in terms of medical care. Of course, the islands are not always much better, but at least you can get out more quickly from some of them than others.

Wow! Thanks so much for getting this out here to the CCL folks that are about to sail there! I have been scouring all over to find out what Carnival has in store for us there.

We will be going there in November of this year, on the Fascination.

Am I getting this right? Carnival will provide the lunch for free?

I was wondering about that.

Any way it will be so much fun to go there, I can't wait. We have our own snorkel gear, and vest too.

Great Review and pictures! Again Thank You Soooooooo Much!

My husband and I cruised with Royal Caribbean several years ago and stopped at Coco Cay. I remember that after lunch, they had several organized games for those who wanted to participate. I am wondering if that will be offered during our stop in August as Little Stirrup Cay. The kids would love it! Anyone know?

Wow, thanks everyone for all the kudos. I know it's hard planning a trip, especially with kids. The one youtube video I found on this island was very shaky, literally, but it showed enough to let me know I was going to love it there. There is a great underwater youtube video of the snorkeling there, as well, if you hunt around for it.

We actually went barefoot...the pebbles were not bad at all, but water shoes would be perfect. The sand was hot, and I wished I had something better than flip-flops when we explored the bit that we did. We did not do the entire nature trail and I would have done that if I had had better shoes with me.

Yes, all the food you can eat is included, on paper plates, and drinks in Dixie cups, LOL. It is a bona-fide picnic meal at covered picnic tables. I would highly suggest bringing a bottle of water per person extra.

I don't know about games being offered. We snorkeled for a couple hours to the crash sites and it really took a bit of time and effort. It is LONGER than it appears to swim to the floating docks and sites. There is a roped- off area beyond the docks to let you know you are going out too far, and there were two guards out there in huts with jet skis if anyone gets into any trouble. The planes are just on the opposite side of the dock to the left. If you bring your own gear, it may help to listen to the snorkeling "lesson" as they may tell you exactly where everything is; we did not do this and kind of found stuff along along the way by word of mouth.

• 9 months later...

I"m so glad I came across this thread while doing a forum search! Cruiselife, my husband and I enjoyed your video as we will be there this June on Carnival Fantasy with our 2 kids.

Thank you everyone for the tips. I do have a few questions ...

I already signed up to get a Clamshell - they have 4 left for June 20th if anyone is interested. How far are the Clamshells from the main beach area? It looks like they are in a section separate from the lounge chairs. We will snorkel, go to Caylana's Castle Cove and hang out at the main beach. Thus, I'm hoping the Clamshells are close enough to easily walk back and forth from our water activities.

If it's a trek where I can't watch my youngest in the main beach area, from a shaded rest area, I'm wondering if we should try to get on one of the 1st tenders (we have FTTF) to stake a place with a rental umbrella in the lounge chair area.

Suggestions??

• 1 month later...
I"m so glad I came across this thread while doing a forum search! Cruiselife, my husband and I enjoyed your video as we will be there this June on Carnival Fantasy with our 2 kids.

Thank you everyone for the tips. I do have a few questions ...

I already signed up to get a Clamshell - they have 4 left for June 20th if anyone is interested. How far are the Clamshells from the main beach area? It looks like they are in a section separate from the lounge chairs. We will snorkel, go to Caylana's Castle Cove and hang out at the main beach. Thus, I'm hoping the Clamshells are close enough to easily walk back and forth from our water activities.

If it's a trek where I can't watch my youngest in the main beach area, from a shaded rest area, I'm wondering if we should try to get on one of the 1st tenders (we have FTTF) to stake a place with a rental umbrella in the lounge chair area.

Suggestions??

Hi and glad the video helped you. I don't know firsthand about the clamshells. I read on another thread at one time they were ferrying people over to them in motorized trolleys of some kind. Hope you found your answer. Sorry for the late reply.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Very cool review. Thanks for taking the time to do that. We'll be there on the 19th, and I'm kind of a "read up on the web and then do it myself" kind of person.

We are taking our own snorkel gear, but I didn't realize there were actual designated spots you could snorkel (for free, right?) and see stuff. We were going to be happy with just having the gear and hoping to see a fish or two while we were swimming.

Question, the inflatables area, is that included or is that an excursion?

You're welcome and glad it helped. Inflatables you can pay for on site along with everything else, or prebook on the ship in case they max out capacity. Your sail and sign card works for all activities and the straw market was cash only. Food and lounge chairs are included. If you have your own gear there is snorkeling close to the beach or crash sites farther out, no fee. Have fun, it's a pretty place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...
Is this ay at the beach (food, etc) free? Thank you

Yes, your food is all you can eat and drink, except alcohol, of course, but I recommend you take a bottle of water as the drink stations were full on the hot day we were there and the cups are disposable (and a finite number taken onto the island I suspect). Great place, be sure to wear good shoes so you can walk around, the sand is hot! Flip flops are not the best IMHO if you want to explore.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app