Letter from Quest

Roxburgh

I can reinforce what Charles has said. The little Waldos have told me it was the most amazing trip of their lives (and they are very well travelled). There were tears at the gangway.

We spent a night in valparaiso which was well worth the stop and are now in Santiago as well. I'm glad we didn't see quest sail away in valparaiso as it would have added to the pain.

To sum up miss Waldo "I am waiting to wake up and realise it was only a dream"

We also agree with you MrsWaldo Seaborn did a great job

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great write-up!

We are considering the Christmas trip this year & it was really interesting to hear about your trip.

I presume the shore activities are included on South Georgia & Antarctica, but not for the rest of the trip?

Gary & Mo

Perth, Australia

All the Antarctica section is included.

I assume S Georgia is too (it wasn't on our itinerary so might be best to ask someone from the Christmas trip)

Many of us on the boards booked independent trips in the Chilean ports and used estancia in the Falklands.

The biggest hitch for us from Australia was having the correct winter gear and layers. It's the first time I have ever needed a 2 piece luggage allowance. Bulk not weight.

Yes, two landings and one Zodiac tour were included in the South Georgia portion of our Dec. cruise.

We didn't prefer to be away for the holidays, so we had chosen the Christmas cruise with some reluctance. But, now we are SO glad we did!!!

First, we enjoyed being "early" in the season in Antarctic....more snow at our landing sites gave it the real Antarctic adventure feel.

And the South Georgia portion was excellent (we had previously been to the Falklands, so missing that was not an okay trade). The Salisbury Plain on South Georgia was the highlight....truly one of those very special and most memorable experiences.

Edited by GeneBK

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a fantastic read!! Thank you.

We are going in the Nov.29 2014 sailing as first time Seabourners!!

One question, where do you get the boots? Do you have to rent them?

Thanks

Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is a fantastic read!! Thank you.

We are going in the Nov.29 2014 sailing as first time Seabourners!!

One question, where do you get the boots? Do you have to rent them?

Thanks

Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, boots were rented through Seabourn.

Thanks for the quick reply !

Do you rent them onboard or do you have to reserve them prior to sailing on the website?

cheers

Ed

I think you have to order them prior to sailing (we did) and then they are delivered to the ship. Don't worry too much about size. There is always the 'great boot exchange' once you have sailed.

I think you have to order them prior to sailing (we did) and then they are delivered to the ship. Don't worry too much about size. There is always the 'great boot exchange' once you have sailed.

There is also a parka exchange as well if the orange parkas which are supplied by Seabourn don't fit to well

We are on the Feb. 3 Valpariso to Manaus cruise. The Seabourn brochure from Ship to Shore recommends all sorts of clothing. What do you recommend for long underwear/base layer?

Anything that works for skiing will work for the Antarctic. When we were there, temps were in the 30s so not that cold and I didn't need any base layer. But it is the Antarctic and you will be a month later than us so you should probably take something. So I would go to your local ski shop and pick up long underwear there.

• 2 months later...

What a great post. Thank you. We have booked this cruise for January 2016 and look forward alreday now.

How is the transfer from Valparaiso to Santiago, bus, time needed, organised by the ship? Did you book the hotel in Santiago through Seabourn?

What a great post. Thank you. We have booked this cruise for January 2016 and look forward alreday now.

How is the transfer from Valparaiso to Santiago, bus, time needed, organised by the ship? Did you book the hotel in Santiago through Seabourn?

Yes, we booked hotels and transfers on both ends through Seabourn.

I did the front end through Seabourn but wanted a very worthwhile night in Valparaiso independently.

I found it definitely worthwhile.

I then booked a private tour from Valpa to Santiago the next day, sightseeing around Valpa, doing a winery and using the "back roads" to get into Santiago.

Definitely worth the times and less $$ than the SB transfer.

I know we can't plug companies on her but we went with a local, mentioned a lot of trip advisor. L……. C…….. is his name

We just returned from our Antarctica cruise. We too were on a winery tour provided by L....C.... We cannot say enough positive about the experience. Not only was the day a wonderful and upbeat conclusion to the cruise but a problem with a bag left at the airport was handled swiftly and with kindness and compassion for my significant anxiety.

We just returned from our Antarctica cruise. We too were on a winery tour provided by L....C.... We cannot say enough positive about the experience. Not only was the day a wonderful and upbeat conclusion to the cruise but a problem with a bag left at the airport was handled swiftly and with kindness and compassion for my significant anxiety.

Hello S and A - we so enjoyed sharing the winery tour with you. We spent 3 additional days with L....C.... visiting the wineries and countryside around Santiago. The entire experience was first class and lots of fun!