Carry-on Luggage Size

I'm having a difficult time finding a carry-on bag (no wheels) that fits within United's 9" x 14" x 22" restrictions. They all seem to be a bit deeper, even if they are are shorter. Do you think that a 12 x 21 x 11 bag is close enough? It would be soft-sided, so if I needed to drop it in to be measured, I could probably squeeze it in the 9" dimension with room to spare the other ways. Thoughts or recommendations, please?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm having a difficult time finding a carry-on bag (no wheels) that fits within United's 9" x 14" x 22" restrictions. They all seem to be a bit deeper, even if they are are shorter. Do you think that a 12 x 21 x 11 bag is close enough? It would be soft-sided, so if I needed to drop it in to be measured, I could probably squeeze it in the 9" dimension with room to spare the other ways. Thoughts or recommendations, please?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Breeze-Upright-Rolling-Suitcase-Marsala/44782661

Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H): 20.00 x 13.50 x 7.00 Inches

20.00 x 13.50 x 7.00 Inches http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Lightweight-Breeze-Rolling-Suitcase-Navy-Blue/44782664

http://www.walmart.com/ip/American-Tourister-21-Atmosphera-II-Carry-On/46997881

21.00 x 14.00 x 7.50 Inches

But they have wheels.

Edited by geocruiser

Yeah, I don't want a rolling bag. I'll have to deal with my big checked rolling suitcase, so I just want a tote or duffel bag. I like something like this, but this is 11 inches wide.

https://www.amazon.com/World-Traveler-21-Inch-Carry-Shoulder/dp/B00VWKRGCC?th=1&psc=1

Yeah, I don't want a rolling bag. I'll have to deal with my big checked rolling suitcase, so I just want a tote or duffel bag. I like something like this, but this is 11 inches wide.

https://www.amazon.com/World-Traveler-21-Inch-Carry-Shoulder/dp/B00VWKRGCC?th=1&psc=1

you won't have your big bag that long and you will start to regret having to tote a large duffel through airports and onto the ship.

You can buy a strap to "piggy-back" your carry on suitcase to your bigger case. I do that with my rolling carry-on as I walk through the airport, then unclip it when I check the big case. Then I have a rolling carry on that is easy to manage.

you won't have your big bag that long and you will start to regret having to tote a large duffel through airports and onto the ship.

I agree. My wife and I both have carry-ons similar to the one in the link. Both are designed to slide onto the handle of our large rolling bags, which is great. But once the big bag is checked, it doesn't take long before you really start to feel the weight of the carry-on.

On our most recent cruise, we borrowed my parents rolling carry-ons. What a difference! So much easier to manage, plus they have more room for the extra stuff we invariably buy on vacation. Both our large bags, and the borrowed carry-ons, have the straps for piggybacking the smaller bags. I found it helpful. My wife found it easier to just roll both bags.

All of that being said, the bag in the link will be fine as a carry-on, if you choose to go that route. As I said, my wife and I both have similar bags that we've used multiple times.

I have used a Vera Bradley duffel as a carry on before but now I sure an international roll onboard and a lug brand under seat bag for my personal item. The lug bag slips over the handle of my carry on so airports are easy. We travel soon to Hong Kong and change planes three times and I don't want to do that carrying anything!

So, you want a legal-size non-rolling carryon-size bag, not a personal item? Right?

Two that I can offer:

eBags TLS Mother Lode Weekender convertibles in either the 22" or 19" size. Their measurements are true-to-size. The only difference is the length, the other dimensions are the same. Just do not use the expansion zippers to stuff more into the bag - that WILL put you over the dimension limits. No slip-over to go on top of your checked bag, but shoulder strap or backpack straps are there to easily use.

Eagle Creek Weekender. Fits the airline dimensions, has a slip-over, has shoulder strap and backpack straps. I have an 8-year old version of this one. Mine does not have the backpack straps, so it is not used as much as my Mother Lodes (I have both sizes).

Some will choke on the prices, especially the Eagle Creek bag. But, I pay for the quality - I've had EC bags for over a decade and they are going strong. I've had those eBags since probably 2009 and they do not show any wear. Sure, I could go to Walmart or Target and buy something for $35, but I'd have to do it again in a short time and by then I should have just put the money for one of the other bags (IMHO).

<on soapbox> My peeve - people who try to bring something "close to", but not within the limits of, the airline's prescribed dimensions. Thousands of people find, and travel with, "legal" bags, so it is not that tough, IMHO <off soapbox>

<on soapbox> My peeve - people who try to bring something "close to", but not within the limits of, the airline's prescribed dimensions. Thousands of people find, and travel with, "legal" bags, so it is not that tough, IMHO <off soapbox>

I think some people tend to push, bend, or outright ignore, the limit on carry-ons because of the fees charged for checked bags. I've seen single bags hoisted into the overhead that took up the entire bin, with no regard for fellow passengers.

Yes, it's rude, but the airlines don't help the situation when they don't enforce their own rules. Check-in agents who don't insist large bags be checked. Gate agents who watch them roll by. Flight attendants who help people stow them!

Don't worry, you aren't the only one it rubs the wrong way.

I'm having a difficult time finding a carry-on bag (no wheels) that fits within United's 9" x 14" x 22" restrictions.

LL Bean's "small" duffel bag is well within those limits, at 9x18x9. Most suitcases these days are designed to roll, so some kind of duffel bag is probably your best bet. If you decide to go with a rolling bag, look for one where the length is 20" instead of 22". They aren't quite as common but you can find them. (check ebags.com) I have an Atlantic brand bag that measures 8x14x20, although with the wheels and handle it's more like 8x14x21. The problem with 22" in bags, as you've found, is 1) with wheels and handles they often exceed 22", and 2) the other dimensions may be bigger than 9x14 as well.

Yeah, I don't want a rolling bag.

Again, best bet then is likely a duffel of some sort. As to carrying a large duffel around, I've seen duffel bags with backpack straps which would be easier than carrying in your hand or using a shoulder strap. Don't have any links as I've never actually searched for one, I've just seen people with them in airports.

Thanks for the feedback! After much searching for the perfectly-sized bag, I finally found one that I like. Well, the height is a half an inch bigger, but that would be pulled taught up; filled loosely will be fine.

http://www.lulus.com/products/lulus-exclusive-jet-setter-cream-and-black-striped-weekender/162834.html

I should be able to slip the large strap around the rolling handle of my large suitcase. Thanks for that tip; I wouldn't have thought about attaching the two. The carry-on shouldn't be that heavy--just what I want to carry onboard for the overnight flight.